Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

Old May 2nd 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
evelyn

Default Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

On May 2, 1:00 pm, wrote:
On May 2, 12:10 pm, Turby wrote:

On 2 May 2007 07:23:29 -0700, wrote:

Again - so many fearful people in this country. It's kind of sad.

Yeah, it is. The statistics say that one out of three women in America
will be sexually assaulted in her lifetime.

and if I carry my gun while riding/running in a rural area, I will be
able to protect myself!

Oh? Do you have a citation for that? I'd like to see it. For it to
be true, the definition of "sexually assault" must be very broad,
indeed!

How broad do you want? Being touched, groped, penetrated or
sodomized, I call all that rape if I don't want it. Isn't it easy for
men to say these things. I don't think that a man getting ready to go
for a ride will ask himself if he will get hurt or raped while out by
himself.

But even if true (which I seriously doubt) ISTM the solution isn't for
all women to pack guns all the time.

Runway models wearing holsters might turn on a few NRA fans, but it's
not likely to catch on with other folks.

Good for you if you don't want to ride with a gun...again, I would
much rather be safe than sorry. I will not become a statistic. And
carrying a gun gives me some type of protection agains the weirdos out
there. If you don't like it, too bad. Thats what makes America
Great. Ladies out there, get a gun, be protected.

- Frank Krygowski

Old May 2nd 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Marz

On May 2, 1:07 pm, evelyn wrote:
On May 2, 1:00 pm, wrote:

On May 2, 12:10 pm, Turby wrote:

[...]

- Frank Krygowski- Hide quoted text -

Is this gun of yours carried at the hip or in your camelpak or bag?

Old May 2nd 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
evelyn

On May 2, 1:29 pm, Marz wrote:
On May 2, 1:07 pm, evelyn wrote:

On May 2, 1:00 pm, wrote:

On May 2, 12:10 pm, Turby wrote:

[...]

Is this gun of yours carried at the hip or in your camelpak or bag?- Hide quoted text -

I wear on my hip. It doesn't interfere with my biking. I'm not a
"patron of the Fearmonger's Shop" like Pat suggests but I'm of the
mind set that its better to be safe than sorry. I live in rural
Virginia where almost everyone has guns in their trucks and in their
houses.

Old May 2nd 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
evelyn

On May 2, 1:44 pm, Patrick Lamb wrote:
(newsgroups trimmed a bit...)

wrote:
On May 2, 12:10 pm, Turby wrote:
On 2 May 2007 07:23:29 -0700, wrote:

Again - so many fearful people in this country. It's kind of sad.
Yeah, it is. The statistics say that one out of three women in America
will be sexually assaulted in her lifetime.

Oh? Do you have a citation for that? I'd like to see it. For it to
be true, the definition of "sexually assault" must be very broad,
indeed!

I've seen similar statistics before. Doesn't mean it's right, but it's
become (becoming?) conventional wisdom.

But even if true (which I seriously doubt) ISTM the solution isn't for
all women to pack guns all the time.

If you take 70 years as the mean life span, and 1/3 of the women in the
US are assaulted, you're chance of being sexually assaulted today is
something like 1 out of 75,000. It wouldn't be worth it to me to pack a
pistol every day, given that remote a chance, but if one was a regular
patron of the Fearmonger's Shop like "evelyn" seems to be, maybe one
might think it worthwhile for onesself.

Pat

What do you suggest women do? I've taken self defense classes, karate
classes and finally a class to be certified to carry a fire arm. I'm
not living in the fairy tale world where nothing bad ever happens.
Even in rural, country communities, crime can occur. I don't think
there is any problem with women carrying guns.

Evelyn

Old May 2nd 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Matthew T. Russotto

In article ,
Turby wrote:

Yeah, it is. The statistics say that one out of three women in America
will be sexually assaulted in her lifetime.

Using some definition of "sexual assault" which includes crude
come-ons, I'm sure. Or finding out the Mercedes was borrowed.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old May 2nd 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Matthew T. Russotto

In article .com,
evelyn wrote:

How broad do you want? Being touched, groped, penetrated or
sodomized, I call all that rape if I don't want it.

Then get a better definition, because you're cheapening the word
"rape".
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old May 2nd 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
evelyn

On May 2, 2:14 pm, (Matthew T. Russotto)
wrote:
In article .com,

evelyn wrote:

How broad do you want? Being touched, groped, penetrated or
sodomized, I call all that rape if I don't want it.

Then get a better definition, because you're cheapening the word
"rape".
result in a fully-depreciated one.

maybe i should clarify: being touched, groped, penetrated or
sodomized, I call all that SEXUAL ASSAULT if I don't want it. does this sound better? You are right, I don't want to cheapen the word "rape"

Old May 2nd 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Dave Head

evelyn wrote:

BUT....As I agree that I have the right to carry a gun, I don't agree
with owning the crazy machine guns, we don't need them, hunters don't
need them; the sole purpose is to kill.

What's your 38 for? Face it, some people just need killin'. You are stupid...yea, I carry my gun so that I can shoot people when I'm out riding my bike! Yep, thats me.

Again, you are an idiot. I carry my legal gun (I have passed all the
requirements for carring it) so that I am protected. You must know
that there are rapist and murderers everywhere and I would use my gun
for protection.

Exactly. Like I said, some people just need killin'. That would be
the rapists and muggers...

I am not going out for a bike ride and looking to
shoot someone!

Of course not.

DPH

Old May 2nd 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

evelyn wrote in
ups.com:

On May 1, 3:41 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
evelyn wrote
oups.com:

Hi! I just read a couple of the items here...but I am a cyclist
who packs. I have a 38 revolver that fits right into a fanny pack
that I wear when I ride. I am a female and ride in rural areas by
myself (haven't found a riding partner yet!) and I will not be a
woman who goes out for a ride or a run and not come back. I am
not concerned with time or the extra weight that the gun adds. I
would rather be safe than sorry.
BUT....As I agree that I have the right to carry a gun, I don't
agree with owning the crazy machine guns, we don't need them,
hunters don't need them; the sole purpose is to kill.

Uh,the Second Amendment is not about hunting or sporting.It's about
having the means to "alter or to abolish" a government gone bad,as it
states in the Declaration of Independence. It's not about
"need",either.Government does not get to determine what law abiding
citizens "need" or don't need.

And sometimes,it's necessary to kill a bad guy.
(and why do YOU carry a gun then?) Yea, I really go for a ride and
look for people to shoot! I will use my gun for self protection if
needed. Against anyone or anything.

Are you aware that to legally OWN a machine gun,one must have a
REGISTERED MG,and be background checked,fingerprinted,pay a $200
Federal tax,and get the approval of a local law enforcement
official(LEO)? And in some states,you STILL can't own a full-auto
weapon. GOOD for that! The number of legal registered MGs is
FIXED,and one cannot buy NEW full- auto firearms since
1968.(excluding government and LEOs)

Also,only ONE legally owned,registered machine gun has been
criminally used since the 1934 NFA was enacted.

However lots of people DO own full-auto firearms,and shoot them for
sport.They are VERY expensive because of the limited supply of
*registered* weapons.
Any time you see or read about machine guns being used in crimes,they
are not LEGALLY OWNED,and were likely smuggled into the US,or illegal
conversions of legal semi-auto guns.

BTW,the Federal Gov't is missing over 600 of their guns,some machine
guns. Orlando police had two MG's stolen from a unmarked patrol
car,one a silenced machine pistol.Other PDs are missing/"lost" some
of their guns. One year,it was found that 40% of guns recovered from
crimes in DC were missing from the DC police EVIDENCE LOCKER.Police
were illegally selling guns from the evidence lockers.

I do agree that it is too
easy to get guns in the US, and there are too many out there.
Thanks,
Evelyn Ziennker-Lee
Virginia

I hope you have the proper carry permit for legal concealed carry.
Otherwise,you also are a criminal.

UGH, yes I have the proper permit,,,do you think that I just went out
and got a gun to carry? I go to the shooting range at least once a
month and will use my gun if needed.

IIRC,open carry is legal in VA.
That means you could legally carry it in a *visible* holster,but not
IN a fanny pack.

I really don't care if my gun is "visible" to others, I have it and it
gives me a sense of protection. What are you gonna do, arrest me?

I'm not a cop.
(and in some states,allowing your "concealed" firearm to inadvertantly show
is grounds for revocation of your permit.Since VA has "open carry,that's
not a concern for you,*in VA*. Travel to other states,and you could be in
trouble.)

Yes, If someone stops my and tries to do bodily harm, I will use my
38, I will shoot whoever it is! That why I carry it!

don't get your panties in a wad;
your post showed you don't have much knowledge about guns or gun laws.
I'm GLAD you are a lawful gun owner and have a permit and are prepared in
case you are attacked.

What bugs me is gun owners who feel only THEIR sort of gun should be
permitted,such as hunters being against handguns,"military-style" semi-auto
rifles,or "assault weapons".

And that CRAP about "need" REALLY bugs me.
Some uncaring politician or gov't official could have easily decided YOU
don't "need" a gun for protection,as if they know better than you what
threats you may encounter. That happens in a number of US states.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Should Cyclists Pack Guns? donquijote1954 General 465 May 7th 07 03:25 PM
Car Hits Pack of Cyclists in St. Pete Rodney Kuehl Recumbent Biking 40 February 24th 07 01:20 AM
Back pack for cyclists scouselad General 18 June 28th 05 01:39 PM
guns and bikes byron27 Australia 9 October 7th 04 01:21 AM
" 400mph cyclists kill opponents with handlebar-mounted guns " Gawnsoft UK 4 March 10th 04 11:56 PM