What American Cities are Missing: Bikes by the Thousands

Old June 3rd 07, 06:05 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Amy Blankenship

Default What American Cities are Missing: Bikes by the Thousands

"Bolwerk" wrote in message
In article , Bolwerk
wrote:

From what I understand, cycling is better on your joints than most
other forms of exercise.

Unless done on a sufficiently soft surface, jogging is horrible on feet
and leg joints. Yet, there are people I see jogging on the sidewalks
every day.

Should we ban jogging on the sidewalks? Or should we convert all our
sidewalks to barkdust, which is a much less damaging surface to walk or
jog on?

The debate raging right now is whether "abusive" things, including
"self-abuse," should all be banned.

George says yes. He wants to ban carpentry, automobile mechanics, ditch
digging, sewer cleaning, NASCAR, and anything else that might have a mild
occupational hazard.

Ballet, pro football, mining, sewing...

Old June 3rd 07, 09:51 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Bolwerk

george conklin wrote:
"Bolwerk" wrote in message
In article , Bolwerk
wrote:

From what I understand, cycling is better on your joints than most
other forms of exercise.

Unless done on a sufficiently soft surface, jogging is horrible on feet
and leg joints. Yet, there are people I see jogging on the sidewalks
every day.

Should we ban jogging on the sidewalks? Or should we convert all our
sidewalks to barkdust, which is a much less damaging surface to walk or
jog on?

The debate raging right now is whether "abusive" things, including
"self-abuse," should all be banned.

George says yes. He wants to ban carpentry, automobile mechanics, ditch
digging, sewer cleaning, NASCAR, and anything else that might have a mild
occupational hazard.

You have just made all this up out of your hatred for real people. Why
do you enjoy being so stupid?

I didn't make it up. You implied abusive stuff should be banned. I'm a
fake person? Oh, I get it. I must be posting to Dan Quayle.

"It's rural America. It's where I came from. We always refer to
ourselves as real America. Rural America, real America, real, real,
America."
Old June 3rd 07, 09:54 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
george conklin

"Bolwerk" wrote in message
george conklin wrote:
"Bolwerk" wrote in message
In article , Bolwerk
wrote:

From what I understand, cycling is better on your joints than most
[...]

You are the only one who spoke of banning carpentry, mechanics and whatever
else you rant about. Sad person, you are.

Old June 3rd 07, 10:07 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Bolwerk

george conklin wrote:
"Bolwerk" wrote in message
george conklin wrote:
"Bolwerk" wrote in message
In article , Bolwerk
wrote:

From what I understand, cycling is better on your joints than most
[...]

Me? I don't really believe in banning things, unless you're talking
about over-the-counter sales of cyanide or something. I was just taking
your reasoning to its logical conclusion.
Old June 4th 07, 12:19 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Amy Blankenship

"Bolwerk" wrote in message
You are the only one who spoke of banning carpentry, mechanics and
whatever else you rant about. Sad person, you are.

Me? I don't really believe in banning things, unless you're talking about
over-the-counter sales of cyanide or something. I was just taking your
reasoning to its logical conclusion.

I wouldn't expend a whole lot of effort on getting him to understand this
point. Clearly he would not have many of the beliefs he espouses if he were
able to carry them to their logical conclusion. Hence, you can logically
conclude that the ability to analyze the validity of his beliefs by taking
them to their logical conclusion is something George flat doesn't possess.

Old June 4th 07, 12:32 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Bolwerk

Amy Blankenship wrote:
"Bolwerk" wrote in message
You are the only one who spoke of banning carpentry, mechanics and
whatever else you rant about. Sad person, you are.

Me? I don't really believe in banning things, unless you're talking about
over-the-counter sales of cyanide or something. I was just taking your
reasoning to its logical conclusion.

I wouldn't expend a whole lot of effort on getting him to understand this
point. Clearly he would not have many of the beliefs he espouses if he were
able to carry them to their logical conclusion. Hence, you can logically
conclude that the ability to analyze the validity of his beliefs by taking
them to their logical conclusion is something George flat doesn't possess.

Oh, my dear, it didn't take much effort. Frankly, the only reason I
brought it up is it's funny as hell. If you want me to be
*charitable*, I can be: I really should just assume that George is a
troll, but somehow I think he's actually serious.

(It would be better for George's credibility if he was a troll.)
Old June 4th 07, 12:52 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
george conklin

"Bolwerk" wrote in message
george conklin wrote:
"Bolwerk" wrote in message
george conklin wrote:
"Bolwerk" wrote in message
In article , Bolwerk
wrote:

From what I understand, cycling is better on your joints than most
[...]

Nonsense.

Cycle-rickshaw pullers are among the most vulnerable section of the urban
poor
The work is very arduous and debilitating. Though the daily earning of the
puller would be about Rs 100-150 ($ 2-3), they are typically addicted to
gutka (tobacco), alcohol and gambling. That is the culture of the
profession. It is a tough and violent life. The puller's wife would
typically be a maid-servant in a middle-class home, washing utensils and
clothes, sweeping and mopping.

Old June 4th 07, 12:53 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
george conklin

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message

"Bolwerk" wrote in message
You are the only one who spoke of banning carpentry, mechanics and
whatever else you rant about. Sad person, you are.

Me? I don't really believe in banning things, unless you're talking
about over-the-counter sales of cyanide or something. I was just taking
your reasoning to its logical conclusion.

I wouldn't expend a whole lot of effort on getting him to understand this
point.

Pedicabs exploit the workers, and there is no point in comparing them to
carpenters or joggers.

Old June 4th 07, 03:29 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Amy Blankenship

"george conklin" wrote in message
link.net...
Me? I don't really believe in banning things, unless you're talking
about over-the-counter sales of cyanide or something. I was just taking
your reasoning to its logical conclusion.

Nonsense.

Cycle-rickshaw pullers are among the most vulnerable section of the urban
poor
The work is very arduous and debilitating. Though the daily earning of the
puller would be about Rs 100-150 ($ 2-3),

We're talking about New York!

they are typically addicted to gutka (tobacco), alcohol and gambling. That
is the culture of the profession. It is a tough and violent life.

Not in New York.

The puller's wife would typically be a maid-servant in a middle-class
home, washing utensils and clothes, sweeping and mopping.

How do you manage to tie your shoes? Really.

What American Cities are Missing: Bikes by the Thousands donquijote1954 General 360 June 12th 07 05:16 PM
American bikes best! yourbuddy General 2 December 21st 05 01:47 AM
NYC Power Proclamation Sets Lead for American Cities Cycle America General 0 April 28th 05 10:48 PM
NYC Power Proclamation Sets Lead for American Cities Cycle America Rides 0 April 28th 05 10:48 PM
Do good value for performance bikes have to be American? Jo Stoller UK 23 June 15th 04 08:31 PM