Mountain biker killed by bear in BC

Old July 25th 07, 05:44 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

Default Death Threat from Mountain Biker (was: Mountain biker killed by bear in BC)

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 02:29:29 GMT, "john" wrote:

Well he's tried the "dazzle them with brilliance" route and has seen that
it
doesn't work because, well, he's an idiot. Now he's gone to the "baffle
them with bull****" route after seeing everyone doesn't fall for how smart
he claims he is.
I'm just getting back into the sport after a long break. And back in the
mid/late 90's he was creeping around too. I was kind of hoping that
nature
would have taken its course and he would have been run over by a herd of
horses or cows or whatever, but no such luck. Too bad there isn't an
extermintor for this type of problem.

Your death threat is duly notes. And turned over to the authorities.

POINT OF ORDER
I don't know who Mike is talking about here, those are not my words. Since
Mike is known to cross post, my guess is that somebody replied to me and
trimmed the group he posts from ...

Old July 25th 07, 05:47 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

Default Mountain biker killed by bear in BC

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:41:21 -0000, Anthony DeLorenzo
wrote:

On Jul 24, 8:16 am, Bruce Jensen wrote:

It sounds like the reporter was, anyway. It is very sad that the bear
was killed without haivng answered some questions. It seems like
there could have been another solution than the wild west variety
"shoot first" approach.

IMHO, RCMP made the right call to shoot the bear. At the time, they
probably couldn't be certain she was dead, and obviously the priority
was to save her life if at all possible. The bear was guarding the
kill and not letting them approach.

Look at it from the officer's perspective: The consequences of the
opposite scenario (woman bleeding to death while RCMP await a
conservation officer to tranquilize the bear) are far worse than
perhaps hastily shooting the bear.

If nothing else, I am sure that this poor person's family would be
grateful that her remains were protected as much as possible.

That's incredibly selfish. If you were in the bear's position, you
wouldn't want to be shot. Humans are the most selfish species in the
world....

Alternatively, if I was the woman that they were looking for, I'm sure I
would not want to be eaten. Bears are soooooo selfish ...

Old July 25th 07, 08:56 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
trebby

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 03:34:21 GMT, Mike Vandeman
wrote:

Harrison said the bear was shot and killed by an RCMP officer, before
the province's conservation officers arrived at the scene.

It's unclear if the bear, estimated to be about 54 kilograms (120
pounds), had in fact fatally attacked the woman.

"They don't know whether the bear was the cause or whether it was just
there," said Mark Woodburn, vice-president of Panorama Mountain
Village.

Yea, right ...just kill the bear. Some stupid mountainbiker falls off
their stupid lame bike because they're too F-n lazy to walk, and they
look around for the nearest bear to shoot. Brilliant! They should have
looked around for the nearest mountainbiker and shot them.. THAT would
solve the problem.
Old July 25th 07, 12:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Doezel

That's incredibly selfish. If you were in the bear's position, you
wouldn't want to be shot. Humans are the most selfish species in the
world....

That's a plain stupid remark, ruling out your existance....

There are at least SOME humans around that care for the bears. I can't
imagine that bears would care for us....

Old July 25th 07, 12:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
john

You may want to reread that. I'm pretty sure there isn't a death threat in
there. Can't be arrested for your hopes now can you

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 02:29:29 GMT, "john" wrote:

Well he's tried the "dazzle them with brilliance" route and has seen that
it
doesn't work because, well, he's an idiot. Now he's gone to the "baffle
them with bull****" route after seeing everyone doesn't fall for how smart
he claims he is.
I'm just getting back into the sport after a long break. And back in the
mid/late 90's he was creeping around too. I was kind of hoping that
nature
would have taken its course and he would have been run over by a herd of
horses or cows or whatever, but no such luck. Too bad there isn't an
extermintor for this type of problem.

Your death threat is duly notes. And turned over to the authorities.

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Old July 25th 07, 02:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 04:47:03 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

BS. She was only protecting her cubs. That's UN-selfish. DUH!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old July 25th 07, 02:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:47:14 +0200, "Doezel" wrote:

That's incredibly selfish. If you were in the bear's position, you
wouldn't want to be shot. Humans are the most selfish species in the
world....

That's a plain stupid remark, ruling out your existance....

There are at least SOME humans around that care for the bears.

No mountain bikers, that's for sure! They are the lowest form of human
life, bar none.

I can't
imagine that bears would care for us....

That's just an excuse.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old July 25th 07, 02:54 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

wrote:

Harrison said the bear was shot and killed by an RCMP officer, before
the province's conservation officers arrived at the scene.

It's unclear if the bear, estimated to be about 54 kilograms (120
pounds), had in fact fatally attacked the woman.

"They don't know whether the bear was the cause or whether it was just
there," said Mark Woodburn, vice-president of Panorama Mountain
Village.

Yea, right ...just kill the bear. Some stupid mountainbiker falls off
their stupid lame bike because they're too F-n lazy to walk, and they
look around for the nearest bear to shoot. Brilliant! They should have
looked around for the nearest mountainbiker and shot them.. THAT would
solve the problem.

Yeah. Pre-emptive strike. The Precautionary Principle.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old July 25th 07, 02:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 04:44:57 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
wrote:

[...]

It's "john" . Learn to read!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old July 25th 07, 02:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:53:28 GMT, "john" wrote:

You may want to reread that. I'm pretty sure there isn't a death threat in
there. Can't be arrested for your hopes now can you

"Too bad there isn't an extermintor for this type of problem." Learn
to read!