The Great Don Quijote of RBM!

Old August 9th 07, 02:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Keats

Default We Have a President That Rides A Bike Now!

"Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman" wrote in message
.. .
Keats wrote:
--

Take it easy Mr. Sunset. I'm having a hard time understanding you.

You're saying almost all Muslims consider bin Laden's religious ideas
wrong (and you know that how?),
I happen to personally know Muslim's that live in some of these
countries. The general attitude is "US government bad, most US people
good."

And how many Muslims would that be?

Enough to know what the general opinion is (just like it is not necessary
to talk to millions of people to know general attitudes in the US).

I take that to be one or maybe two if we count the wife, but I don't think
they would.

but they support him because he stands up to western imperialist
bullying, etc., etc., ad nauseam. Ok so? And we are losing the war in
Iraq, Afghanistan, and the so called "War on Terror" because we aren't
nice?
The only way to win a war of conquest over a reluctant population is
genocide.

Well I don't know about that, but you've got to get it to the point they
don't want to study war no more.

Those being attacked by neo-colonial/imperial oppressors say the same
thing about their attackers. DUH! Or are you one of those people that
believes brown skinned Muslim people to be inherently less worthy of life
than "Americans" and Israeli Jews?

When it comes to people who are determined to kill me and other Americians,
and who want to wipe Israeli Jews off the face of the earth I do not take
the time to celebrate their diversity. I'll leave that to you and the
other, as you call them, left progressives, whose only value I can see is
their ability to get republicians elected. Although this time republicans
may possibly have to trade down to Ms. Clinton and her husband Bill.

I saw a poll not long ago that claimed 75% of the US Muslims
disapproved of suicide bombing. That's fine, but it's the other 25%
that worry me.
How is suicide bombing more immoral than any other type of bombing?

If blowing up a house where enemy combatant terrorist are having a
meeting and having a suicide bomber blowing up a bus full of children on
the way to school are the moral equivalent for you then what Ed Dolan
said........."You God Damn ****ing Stupid Moron! Screw you and all your
liberal fantasies. I would like to drop an atom bomb on your confounded
head!"

[Yawn]

Once again, it's useful idiots like you who got George Bush elected twice.
Keep Yawning.

(not Tom) Keats

Old August 9th 07, 03:49 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Bill Sornson" wrote:

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
Edward Dolan wrote:

You had better get your head screwed on straight. Hillary was the
wife of Bill, who was a liberal if nothing else.

Only on matters of reproductive/sexual behavior.

Red herring.

You missed the point. Clinton from a policy perspective was quite
conservative. I recently had a chat with someone who worked in
Clinton's budget office, who stated that the Clinton Administration
quietly de-funded hundreds of "liberal" programs and policy initiatives.
Bill Clinton was arguably one of the most successful Republican
presidents of the past 50 years, if examined from a policy perspective
rather than a party affiliation perspective. Clinton only looked
liberal by contrast because Gingrich et al were insane.
Old August 9th 07, 03:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Bill Sornson" wrote:

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
...(Just in time for -- God Forbid! -- Hillary...

Hillary Clinton is a corporatist

You mean because she trashes Exxon-Mobil while secretly owning its
stock? LOL

and no friend of labor.

Yeah, but Labor doesn't recognize this.

Why does the political right hate her so much?

For the same reason the political left loves her so much. (Hint:
lies and opportunism.)

I'm to the left politically (slightly to the left of the late Paul
Wellstone, to put it in some kind of perspective) and I don't like
Hilary Clinton. She's a strident, annoying conservative masquerading as
a Democrat. I don't know how I am going to vote if she becomes the
Democratic candidate. There are no Republican candidates I can vote
for- they are all loonies- and I won't vote for H Clinton. A conundrum.
Old August 9th 07, 04:31 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Bill Sornson

Bill Sornson wrote:
...(Just in time for -- God Forbid! -- Hillary...
Hillary Clinton is a corporatist
You mean because she trashes Exxon-Mobil while secretly owning its
stock? LOL

and no friend of labor.
Yeah, but Labor doesn't recognize this.
Actually, the Republican's better hope that Hillary Clinton wins the
Democratic nomination, since she turns off labor more than any
Democratic candidate since Joe Lieberman (who has been elected in
large part by cross-voting Republicans).

Why does the
political right hate her so much?
For the same reason the political left loves her so much. (Hint:
lies and opportunism.)
If Sorni knew what he was talking about he would know that no one on
the US left likes Hillary Clinton (and they didn't like Bill
either).

You're delusional, Tom. (Otherwise, insightful commentary!)

Hey Sorni,

Go to your library and check out some of the left/progressive
magazines to see what they say about the Clintons. Or just check out
some of the websites of collected opinions. You will hardly find any
support for either of them, other than as the "lesser evil".

Don't believe what the "left" says/writes based on what you hear on
the radio.

So now the "kook lunatic fringe" is mainstream left? Actually, when all all
the leading Dem prez 'dates attend the Cos Convention and skip the moderate
Leadership Council, you might be right.

Still, you and all the others will support or at least vote for Hillary,
won't you? Or can Rudy/Mitt/Fred count on you?!? LOL (You won't back
Blumberg in large numbers, since that will elect a Republican.)

Bill "too soon to really care about this crap" S.

(PS: You might want to fix your sig file so it's deleted in replies; PITA
to "erase" it every time.)

Old August 9th 07, 04:34 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Bill Sornson

Tim McNamara wrote:

Bill Sornson wrote:
...(Just in time for -- God Forbid! -- Hillary...

Hillary Clinton is a corporatist

You mean because she trashes Exxon-Mobil while secretly owning its
stock? LOL

and no friend of labor.

Yeah, but Labor doesn't recognize this.

Why does the political right hate her so much?

For the same reason the political left loves her so much. (Hint:
lies and opportunism.)

I'm to the left politically (slightly to the left of the late Paul
Wellstone, to put it in some kind of perspective) and I don't like
Hilary Clinton. She's a strident, annoying conservative masquerading
as a Democrat. I don't know how I am going to vote if she becomes the
Democratic candidate. There are no Republican candidates I can vote
for- they are all loonies- and I won't vote for H Clinton. A
conundrum.

You'll do what practically all Dems will do: you'll vote for Ms. Strident.
Even if there's a 3rd party candidate you like. Sad but true.

Old August 9th 07, 04:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Bill Sornson

Edward Dolan wrote:

You had better get your head screwed on straight. Hillary was the
wife of Bill, who was a liberal if nothing else.

Only on matters of reproductive/sexual behavior.

Red herring. (Hint: he was sued for sexual harrassment by Paula
Jones, and LIED UNDER OATH in the course of his defense. He also
coerced perjury from Monica Lewinsky. Then there's Kathleen "forced
to rub his" Willy and Anita Broderick and...well, at least one
other. These matters were NOT about sex or affairs; they were about
illegal, abusive behavior and lies and worse to cover it up. Monica
was just...a vessel.) Bill "I suppose they should be grateful he didn't
Vince Foster 'em"
S.

Other than not supporting the agenda of the "Christian Coalition" in
1996, what substantive differences were there in the platforms of Bill
Clinton and Bob Dole?

The latter would not have further decimated the military for one thing, and
would have taken out OBL when the opportunity presented itself on a silver
platter for another.

HTH

Old August 9th 07, 04:49 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Bill Sornson

Tim McNamara wrote:

Edward Dolan wrote:

You had better get your head screwed on straight. Hillary was the
wife of Bill, who was a liberal if nothing else.

Only on matters of reproductive/sexual behavior.

Red herring.

You missed the point. Clinton from a policy perspective was quite
conservative. I recently had a chat with someone who worked in
Clinton's budget office, who stated that the Clinton Administration
quietly de-funded hundreds of "liberal" programs and policy
initiatives. Bill Clinton was arguably one of the most successful
Republican presidents of the past 50 years, if examined from a policy
perspective rather than a party affiliation perspective. Clinton
only looked liberal by contrast because Gingrich et al were insane.

So why is he (Clinton) such a rock star among every liberal group out there?
Blind political partisanship (party-based)?

Old August 9th 07, 07:03 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Bill Sornson" wrote:

Tim McNamara wrote:

Bill Sornson wrote:
[...]

Not just practically all Democrats but everybody who feels strong party
affiliation. I don't feel a strong party affiliation, though. I'm a
liberal, not a Democrat. I vote Democrat more often, but I have cast a
lot of votes for Republicans and a few independents and third party
candidates. Like many people, I try to select the person I think is
best for the job based on the information I have available to me. If
it's Hillary vs. Romnianison I will probably vote Green. Hell, the
Democrats have let themselves become little more than the moderate wing
of the Republican Party. Cracks me up when people describe the Dems as
"liberals." ROFL!

Interestingly many of the "liberal" changes in US law came under
Republican presidents: significant parts of the environmental
protection laws, creation of the EPA, Title IX. And then later the
Republicans keep trying to gut their own achievements...

Amusing (to me) further off-topic story. It must have been in 1994 that
I voted in the Republican primary in Minnesota. We had a decent,
moderate Republican governor named Arne Carlson who was in all
likelihood not going to be endorsed by the part for re-election, because
the party was controlled by a few right wing nutbars especially a guy
named Allen Quist (who IIRC did win the endorsement). I liked the job
Carlson had done in his first term, so I wanted to cast a vote in
support of him. I didn't care for the Democratic frontrunners so I
wanted to have a good alternative on the ballot. Carlson did win
re-election without his party's endorsement and had a second term as a
reasonable, effective governor under whose leadership the state did
well. Then we elected Jesse Ventura and it went to hell in a handbasket
but that's for another time. Here's the part I find amusing:

Of course, in a primary you can only vote within one party, so I had to
make other choices for other candidates. As much as I could I chose the
person I thought would be the best of the available options. In the
primary for Attorney General, I spotted a name I thought I knew and
voted for her. Turned out it was a name similar to another well-known
person and my memory had betrayed me. And it further turned out that
the memories of a *lot* of voters had done the same and she won the
primary. It further transpired that this person really was a nut; the
Republican Party chairman very honorably came out and stated that while
she had won the primary, she was not fit for office as far as the
Republican Party was concerned and they would not support her and
encouraged voters to select someone else. It was a good day for the
Republican Party in Minnesota, I thought, to show that kind of
refreshing forthrightness. The party has declined in recent years in
terms of its ethics, but one can hope for a return to integrity at some
point.
Old August 9th 07, 07:19 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tim McNamara

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

Oh bull****. The outcome would have been no different. Clinton ordered
strikes and was aggressive about getting bin Laden. Hell, the
Republicans criticized him and his security team for being obsessed with
bin Laden and not with Hussein. Turns out that the Clinton team was
right and the Republicans were out to lunch. And they continued in that
befogged stupidity after taking charge in 2001, marginalizing the effort
to find and neutralize bin Laden and al Qaeda in favor of planning to
overthrow Saddam Hussein- the neocon's favorite hobbyhorse.

As far as "further decimating the military" goes:

http://tinyurl.com/2xwyle

http://tinyurl.com/353qq

http://tinyurl.com/yubyyq

http://tinyurl.com/27nstd

Less time listening to Rush, more time paying attention to reality would
do a world of good.
Old August 9th 07, 07:21 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Bill Sornson" wrote:

Tim McNamara wrote:

Edward Dolan wrote:

You had better get your head screwed on straight. Hillary was
the wife of Bill, who was a liberal if nothing else.

Only on matters of reproductive/sexual behavior.

Red herring.

You missed the point. Clinton from a policy perspective was quite
conservative. I recently had a chat with someone who worked in
Clinton's budget office, who stated that the Clinton Administration
quietly de-funded hundreds of "liberal" programs and policy
initiatives. Bill Clinton was arguably one of the most successful
Republican presidents of the past 50 years, if examined from a
policy perspective rather than a party affiliation perspective.
Clinton only looked liberal by contrast because Gingrich et al were
insane.

So why is he (Clinton) such a rock star among every liberal group out
there?

He's not. The right wing thinks he is, because they can only think in
black and white, but they are wrong (again).

Blind political partisanship (party-based)?

In many cases, yes. He apparently has immense personal charm, or so I
am told, which may also account for it. I also think that Clinton
benefits from the contrast effect with the current President. By
comparison, the Clinton Administration was the shining city on the hill.