Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

Old April 1st 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
donquijote1954

Default Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

On Apr 1, 10:01*am, "
wrote:
On Apr 1, 1:11 pm, Ted wrote:

What's your thought, I'd be safer in the trike than on the road
tandem, or should I start planning my funerals?

The whole problem here is that a trike takes up much more road space
and it makes it more difficult for another wide vehicle (an
automobile) to pass, basically requiring the cars to slow down from
what you said is 45 mph to probably less than 18 mph until there is no
one in the opposing lane so they may pass safely.

A tricycle is typically about 30 inches wide, which is almost exactly
the width of my elbows in a fairly normal riding posture (I just
measured roughly).

James

Perhaps this is better for a gladiator...

http://www.squidoo.com/triton

But sitting lower would be a greater problem for visibility.
Old April 1st 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jens Müller[_2_]

ComandanteBanana schrieb:

Yeah, but if I'm riding a bike in traffic, I'm giving my back to the
enemy...

If you are thinking about road traffic as war, you are definitely wrong
on public highways.
Old April 1st 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jens Müller[_2_]

ComandanteBanana schrieb:

I think the cute factor may actually deter people from aggressive
behavior, but I'd be worried about the SPEED DIFFERENTIAL being too
great, particularly when they are on the phone.

You should definitely consider getting laws against phone usage while
driving over there.
Old April 1st 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jens Müller[_2_]

Tim McNamara schrieb:
A trike is no more of a vehicle than a bicycle.

ACK.

A trike is no less a vehicle than a bicycle.
Old April 1st 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 1, 11:19*am, Jens Müller wrote:
ComandanteBanana schrieb:

Yeah, but if I'm riding a bike in traffic, I'm giving my back to the
enemy...

If you are thinking about road traffic as war, you are definitely wrong
on public highways.

I see people getting either intimidated by it, or getting killed by
it.

A car is a weapon.
Old April 1st 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Papa Tom

You should definitely consider getting laws against phone usage while
driving over there.

We've got them. They cost us millions of dollars and years of debate to
implement. Now the drivers ignore them and the police don't enforce them.

Old April 1st 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 1, 1:28 pm, "Papa Tom" wrote:
You should definitely consider getting laws against phone usage while
driving over there.

We've got them. They cost us millions of dollars and years of debate to
implement. Now the drivers ignore them and the police don't enforce them.

I'm sorry to say, but everything is falling apart so much that I feel
I live in a Banana Republic!

Well, I've put together some signs of Banana Republic that seem
evident...

1- CORRUPT POLITICS (Do I need to elaborate?)

2- GATED COMMUNITIES (Crime outside forces those that can afford to
live behind gates and security guards)

3- CHAOTIC TRAFFIC (No, it's not like Germany; it's more like Mexico
City or Caracas)

4- LITTERING (Hey, who cares about littering anymore? Someone will
pick up after me...)

5- RELIANCE ON OLD PEOPLE (They are the ones who vote, usually about
issues that have more to do with quality of life)

6- SCAPEGOATING FOREIGN TYRANTS (You know who they are, right?)

7- DISFRANCHISEMENT OF THE POOR AND THE YOUNG (They feel ignored and
don't vote)

8- TOLERANCE OF DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR (Noisy parks, beaches, etc, with
the notorious absence of signs that call for proper behavior)

9- MINDING OTHER PEOPLE'S LIVES (Elections based on homosexuals or
abortion, not constructive issues)

10- BIG HOMELESS PROBLEM (They are everywhere, and sometimes they are
dirty and dangerous)

11- LACK OF BIKE FACILITIES (Yes, a city that is hostile toward those
who care for a better planet, qualifies for the Banana Republic
title)

Old April 1st 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Papa Tom

I'm sorry to say, but everything is falling apart so much that I feel I
live in a Banana Republic!

I thought Banana Republic was an overpriced clothing store that sells
garments made by slave labor in third world countries?

Old April 1st 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 1, 4:14*pm, "Papa Tom" wrote:
I'm sorry to say, but everything is falling apart so much that I feel I
live in a Banana Republic!

I thought Banana Republic was an overpriced clothing store that sells
garments made by slave labor in third world countries?

You are right about them about being overpriced. That's why I created
"Banana Revolution Gear" line of clothing. And they deliver a message
too...

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution
Old April 1st 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jens Müller[_2_]

ComandanteBanana schrieb:

4- LITTERING (Hey, who cares about littering anymore? Someone will
pick up after me...)

Here, some Neoliberals say: Well, that's creating jobs for people to
pick up the stuff.

5- RELIANCE ON OLD PEOPLE (They are the ones who vote, usually about
issues that have more to do with quality of life)

Here, much more than 50% of the voters are people who get money from the
state ... The welfare republic ...

8- TOLERANCE OF DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR (Noisy parks, beaches, etc, with
the notorious absence of signs that call for proper behavior)

What exactly is "proper behavior"?

9- MINDING OTHER PEOPLE'S LIVES (Elections based on homosexuals or
abortion, not constructive issues)

Well, one might consider that "disruptive behavior"? Where to start,
where to end?

11- LACK OF BIKE FACILITIES (Yes, a city that is hostile toward those
who care for a better planet, qualifies for the Banana Republic
title)

Bicycle parking facilities? Well, that might be the case. Facilities for
moving bicycle traffic? Here, there are much too many of them ...

Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic? ComandanteBanana General 241 April 15th 08 01:22 PM
Traffic Citations & Traffic Cops Freddie Mountain Biking 0 March 23rd 06 05:02 AM
Another bike in collision with a car... wafflycat UK 34 December 31st 05 03:50 AM
My first collision Alan J. Wylie UK 26 April 15th 05 07:44 AM
In collision with... Just zis Guy, you know? UK 22 August 3rd 03 05:08 PM