Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

Old April 2nd 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jack May

Default Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

"Papa Tom" wrote in message
I'm not one who believes "resistance" will ever work.

There's something about bicyclists that people just don't like. Perhaps
it's just jealousy. When the road was ruled by horse-drawn wagons, they
cursed at us and threw sticks at our spokes because we were moving too
fast. Now they do the same thing because we move too slowly.

Perhaps when gas is $10 a gallon, drivers will start to see us in a
different light. Right now, keep your trike off the road - or face having
to pry it out of the grill of some jerk's Hummer.

Will never happen becaue there are too many possible alternative energy
sources that will become available at much less than $10 per equivalent
gallon of gas.

Old April 2nd 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jack May

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
On Mar 31, 7:33 pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

That makes sense. Sort of what I expected. Still the vehicle code
calls all bicycles "vehicles," so we all are a family --though not
necessarily happy.

Anybody that is so stupid that they think the law is reality deserves to be
killed in traffic.

Old April 2nd 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jens Müller wrote:
ComandanteBanana schrieb:
Bicycle parking facilities? Well, that might be the case. Facilities for
moving bicycle traffic? Here, there are much too many of them ...

Nice. Most of the nation lacks those facilities.

No, not nice. They are actually causing completely real deaths of people.

Shhh. Don't tell Bill Zaumen.

Old April 2nd 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Roger Zoul

Default trike put you on a collision course with bike -- you menacing triker

"Pat" wrote in message
On Mar 31, 1:00 pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
Having other types of bikes in my collection, I'm about to get off the
beaten path and get either a ROAD TANDEM BIKE or a FANCY UPRIGHT
TRIKE. Well, I like them both but the road tandem would necessarily
put me on the road AMONG THE BEASTS all the time, while the trike I
can use on the back streets and on a new path being built overlooking
the ocean (cool). But I'd be tempted to ride it on the streets
sometimes, squarely TAKING THE LANE because then I'd be more of a
vehicle.

What's your thought, I'd be safer in the trike than on the road
tandem, or should I start planning my funerals?

WHY THE BANANA REVOLUTION?http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

:As much as I had hoped that this would be some sort of April Fool's
:joke, it isn't.
:
:http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/312617.html

3 men riding on a 3-wheeled cycle....pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase!

Old April 2nd 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Roger Zoul

wrote in message
On Apr 1, 1:11 pm, Ted wrote:
What's your thought, I'd be safer in the trike than on the road
tandem, or should I start planning my funerals?

The whole problem here is that a trike takes up much more road space
and it makes it more difficult for another wide vehicle (an
automobile) to pass, basically requiring the cars to slow down from
what you said is 45 mph to probably less than 18 mph until there is no
one in the opposing lane so they may pass safely.

A tricycle is typically about 30 inches wide, which is almost exactly
the width of my elbows in a fairly normal riding posture (I just
measured roughly).

James

Of course, on a bike you can ride on the very edge of the road, so that you
take up only ~15 inches, rather than 30. However, if the cars have you on
the white line on a bike, your life is in danger. A triker can hug the
white line with the right front wheel in a much safer fashion than can a
bicyclist.

Old April 2nd 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tony B[_2_]

Jack May wrote:

Will never happen becaue there are too many possible alternative energy
sources that will become available at much less than $10 per equivalent
gallon of gas.

name one that is plentiful in HUGE ammounts, does not involve the whole
world's infrastructure being replaced and does not mean food production
will suffer heavily.

oh, and you can't have "cake and a person's legs" as the answer :-)

Old April 2nd 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

wrote:

Having other types of bikes in my collection, I'm about to get off the
beaten path and get either a ROAD TANDEM BIKE or a FANCY UPRIGHT
TRIKE. Well, I like them both but the road tandem would necessarily
put me on the road AMONG THE BEASTS all the time, while the trike I
can use on the back streets and on a new path being built overlooking
the ocean (cool). But I'd be tempted to ride it on the streets
sometimes, squarely TAKING THE LANE because then I'd be more of a
vehicle.

What's your thought, I'd be safer in the trike than on the road
tandem, or should I start planning my funerals?

WHY THE BANANA REVOLUTION?http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

As much as I had hoped that this would be some sort of April Fool's
joke, it isn't.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/312617.html

It's known that guys on three wheel bikes are real dangerous... ?

But they are real dangerous riding the sidewalk, which is most people
do nowdays --if they want to live longer.
Old April 2nd 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 1, 11:18*pm, "Jack May" wrote:

Anybody that is so stupid that they think the law is reality deserves to be
killed in traffic.

That's true. So it is that in NY they have the right laws regarding
cell phones, but people do whatever they please. And bicycles are
considered "vehicles," but you still are pushed around on the roads.

Welcome to the reality of the jungle.
Old April 2nd 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

You may say, "What the Banana Republic of Miami has to do with
bicycling?" But it does. The old people in Miami voted for issues
dealing with Castro, and not for bike facilities. They never will,
because only the young care about it. That's why we need a Banana
Revolution...

"I'm fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to
die in." -George McGovern

A REVOLUTION FOR THE YOUNG?
Sorry, guys, but this revolution is for the young --or at least for
the young at heart-- who care about the future, and about a quality of
life surrounding their needs.

Regrettably, they are not being enticed into politics. Important
issues like building bike facilities are kept out of the political
discourse. Simply, cunning politicians lure the elderly, who are
easily duped with the politics of fear*. Remember the 2000 elections
in Miami-Dade County. In other words: the Banana Republic relies on
the old and ignorant, while the Banana Revolution appeals to the young
and hopeful...

*80% of the young who don't vote do not live in democracy.

"Well, there's no hiding the fact that bananas taste better, and don't
contribute to Global Warming and War."

http://www.zazzle.com/donquijote1954...63034463138037
Old April 2nd 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Amy Blankenship

wrote:
[...]

I think they meant a three wheeler ATV...

Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic? ComandanteBanana General 241 April 15th 08 01:22 PM
Traffic Citations & Traffic Cops Freddie Mountain Biking 0 March 23rd 06 05:02 AM
Another bike in collision with a car... wafflycat UK 34 December 31st 05 03:50 AM
My first collision Alan J. Wylie UK 26 April 15th 05 07:44 AM
In collision with... Just zis Guy, you know? UK 22 August 3rd 03 05:08 PM