Are SUVs "evil" and bikes "good"?

Old July 2nd 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default Are SUVs "evil" and bikes "good"?

(Could you believe it that they say I'm the man behind curtains? As if
they didn't know who he really was?)

Originally Posted by chipcom
"PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!"

The man behind the curtains is the one that keeps you driving when
prices are going up without ever making you think you can ride a
simple bike.

And 90% of Americans believe it, according to a study that says so
many people consider these high prices outrageous. And they are not
really high enough!

Bent down now...

http://aftermathnews.files.wordpress...70516_2151.jpg
Old July 2nd 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default T-shirts for the revolution!

Originally Posted by Treespeed
"What if Rosa Parks just wore a T-shirt about the bus?"

Hey, dummy, a bright T-shirt makes you visible and it tells what the
issue is to the drivers out there. And, perhaps most importantly, it
identifies you as part of a campaign, which will earn you far more
respect. But if you die with it, you'll be a martyr for the
revolution. Without it, you die like a dog. Big difference!

Anything else is collaboration. Yes, it may get things done in the
long term. But we don't have the time to do so. Thus the need for the
revolution!

PS: Remember the black struggle was also about boycott of the buses.
Hey, we may as well stay away from the roads... or take them by storm!
(no guns, just a banana)

Old July 2nd 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

(If nobody is listening on this Earth, I hope some intelligent life in
other planets gets the message)

Originally Posted by chipcom
"Hey DQ, I got one simple question for you....have you ever held or
run for elected office?
Attempting to effect change from within the system before touting
revolution is the tact that most sane, reasonable people take, since
revolutions tend to be kind of messy and full of unintended
consequences.
I'm pretty sure you a are neither sane nor reasonable, but I figured
I'd let you confirm that via this simple yes or no question."

No, no monkey can change the jungle by himself. Not even a lion can.
Only the people can. The jungle drags everybody down into a web of
complicity and silence. People get paid NOT to say what they feel...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary
depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair (author of
'The Jungle')

Not all revolutions though are violent. Some of them have even been
backed by America, the Orange Revolution in Ukraine, for example.
Still I think of the revolution in less dramatic but no less important
terms. The book above (The Jungle) changed safety in the meat packing
industry by raising awareness to it. If this revolution changes
TRAFFIC SAFETY, I'd feel satisfied.
Old July 2nd 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default OK, so what should the T-shirts say?

(the T-shirts were taken to vote on another forum)

Since somebody raised the possibility of wearing T-shirts for activism
and several people voted for it, what should they say? Notice there's
NO profit on it, and we can all have access to the account where we
can help ourselves.

OK, there are some about bananas and this and that, but let's consider
first the more conventional options. The one I put forth says:

"Bike for Peace" (front)

and then the back...

"Don't burn oil, burn the calories!" (bigger)
(a little spice there to catch attention)

"We will take the lane
until we get bike lanes
so we can bike for peace" (smaller)

The take is on the war and making cycling a peaceful and sexy
activity.

Here it is...

http://www.cafepress.com/burncalories

Old July 5th 08, 06:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
GeneralissimoApeshit

On Jul 2, 7:19*am, King[sic]OfTheApes wrote:
(Could this be mylastpost? Well, it sounds apocalyptic enough, but I
always say there's room for optimism)

Don't let Usenet's door hit your baboon ass on the way out.
Old July 6th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Jul 5, 1:50*am, GeneralissimoApe****
wrote:
On Jul 2, 7:19*am, King[sic]OfTheApes wrote:

(Could this be mylastpost? Well, it sounds apocalyptic enough, but I
always say there's room for optimism)

Don't let Usenet's door hit your baboon ass on the way out.

You take me for somebody else...

http://www.globalpov.com/images/bush-monkey.jpg
Old July 21st 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Kunich

"KingOfTheApes" wrote in message
On Jun 25, 9:30 pm, wrote:

I see you are religiously attached to your superiority citing "God and
the Devil". I'm certain that drivers of passing cars sense your
smugness and have no friendly feelings toward your presence. As I
wrote earlier, this superior attitude is not invisible and makes
bicycling more hazardous.

I don't think they go that deep into energies. They just know I'm
smaller and push me around.

It's the same principle of the jungle: "The Big Fish eats the Little
Fish!"

Why is it that I respect car driver's rights to the road and my own right to
be there as well and only very rarely have any problems with drivers?

Old July 21st 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
David L. Johnson

Tom Kunich wrote:

Why is it that I respect car driver's rights to the road and my own
right to be there as well and only very rarely have any problems with
drivers?

Maybe you are lucky enough to live in an enlightened area.

--

David L. Johnson

Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of business.