Should we make people pass a cycling/motorcycle test before a drivingtest?

Old October 12th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Jym Dyer

Default Should we make people pass a cycling/motorcycle test before a driving test?

[Removed from rec.bicycles.rides where this was NEVER on-topic.]

=v= The potential and actual damages of bicycles don't come
anywhere near those of motorized vehicles. It's simply not
worth the price of the bureaucracy involved.

=v= If the world's most repressive regimes can get by without
demanding licensing of bicyclists, I think free countries could
somehow manage to muddle through without it as well.
_Jym_

Old October 12th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Peter Hucker

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:15:35 +0100, Jym Dyer wrote:

[Removed from rec.bicycles.rides where this was NEVER on-topic.]

And removed from others too. Only trolls use the followup header.

[plonk]

=v= The potential and actual damages of bicycles don't come
anywhere near those of motorized vehicles. It's simply not
worth the price of the bureaucracy involved.

=v= If the world's most repressive regimes can get by without
demanding licensing of bicyclists, I think free countries could
somehow manage to muddle through without it as well.
_Jym_

Strange Signs in London:
Spotted on a bathroom of an office:
TOILET OUT OF ORDER. PLEASE USE FLOOR BELOW.
In a Laundromat:
AUTOMATIC WASHING MACHINES. PLEASE REMOVE ALL YOUR CLOTHES WHEN THE LIGHT GOES OUT.
In a London department sto
BARGAIN BASEMENT UPSTAIRS
In an office:
WOULD THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE STEP LADDER YESTERDAY PLEASE BRING IT BACK OR FURTHER STEPS WILL BE TAKEN
In an office:
AFTER TEA BREAK STAFF SHOULD EMPTY THE TEAPOT AND STAND UPSIDE DOWN ON THE DRAINING BOARD
Outside a secondhand shop:
WE EXCHANGE ANYTHING - BICYCLES, WASHING MACHINES, ETC. WHY NOT BRING YOUR WIFE ALONG AND GET A WONDERFUL BARGAIN?
Notice in health food shop window:
CLOSED DUE TO ILLNESS
Spotted in a safari park:
ELEPHANTS PLEASE STAY IN YOUR CAR
Seen during a conference:
FOR ANYONE WHO HAS CHILDREN AND DOESN'T KNOW IT, THERE IS A DAY CARE ON THE 1ST FLOOR
Notice in a farmer's field:
THE FARMER ALLOWS WALKERS TO CROSS THE FIELD FOR FREE, BUT THE BULL CHARGES.
Message on a leaflet:
IF YOU CANNOT READ, THIS LEAFLET WILL TELL YOU HOW TO GET LESSONS
On a repair shop door:
WE CAN REPAIR ANYTHING. (PLEASE KNOCK HARD ON THE DOOR - THE BELL DOESN'T WORK)
Old October 12th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
BOFH

[Removed from rec.bicycles.rides where this was NEVER on-topic.]

With that sig file, you have a nerve...are you GOD ;-)

Old October 13th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
S'mee

On Oct 12, 4:27*am, "Road_Hog" wrote:
"BOFH" wrote in message

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
Case in point is how we should make people pass a cycling/motorcycle
test and if they fail that test they won't have a chance with the
driving test! Why? Because it's better to knock a few cones with a
bicycle, than with a car, where those cones are bound to be cyclists
or pedestrians in real life.

Simply some people should not be driving!

uk.rec.driving

meet the obsessed, militant footsoldiers you share the road with.

I think you all need to talk this through

All cyclists should be shot on site, except the lycra wearing ones, who
should be hung, drawn and quartered.- Hide quoted text -

Funny that's what I DO to all suv's and anyone of the breed wearing a
blue tooth or holding phone...them I just give a cocktail.

OAAAMOF I am better than all you stupid cage monkeys...better looking
to.
--
Keith
Old October 14th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Oct 10, 10:20*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
ComandanteBanana wrote:
Case in point is how we should make people pass a cycling/motorcycle
test and if they fail that test they won't have a chance with the
driving test! Why? Because it's better to knock a few cones with a
bicycle, than with a car, where those cones are bound to be cyclists
or pedestrians in real life.

How about needing to pass a test and get licensed to post to Usenet?

Simply some people should not be driving!

Simply, some people should not be posting to Usenet.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.

My Internet License #1,030,155 is in order until 2015 or until the
revolution is completed, whichever comes first.
Old October 14th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Oct 10, 10:47*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 15:03:00 -0700 (PDT)

ComandanteBanana wrote:
Case in point is how we should make people pass a cycling/motorcycle
test and if they fail that test they won't have a chance with the
driving test! Why? Because it's better to knock a few cones with a
bicycle, than with a car, where those cones are bound to be cyclists
or pedestrians in real life.

I've been riding bicycles since I was about 4 and motorcycles since I
was about 10, but I keep crashing my car into other cars because it
won't fit through gaps - I reckon I should drive trucks for a while.

Have you tried SUVs? They brave their way around, even when they are
busy on the phone.
Old October 14th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Oct 10, 10:43*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Tom Sherman writes:

ComandanteBanana wrote:
Case in point is how we should make people pass a cycling/motorcycle
test and if they fail that test they won't have a chance with the
driving test! Why? Because it's better to knock a few cones with a
bicycle, than with a car, where those cones are bound to be cyclists
or pedestrians in real life.

How about needing to pass a test and get licensed to post to Usenet?

Simply some people should not be driving!

Simply, some people should not be posting to Usenet.

Au contraire, mon frere! *The freedoms we have left
/must/ be kept open. *As wuzzhisname once paraphrasedly
said: "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll
defend to the death your right to say it."

That's what makes our Western culture so much more
progressive than those Old World cultures that get
a collective hair up their collective ass about
newspaper cartoons depicting Muhammet, and books by
Salman Rushdie et al.

So I see Banana Boy is now resorting to the ancient,
wearisome, cyclists-should-be-licensed argument.
That car-drivers' anti-bicycle canard is over a
century old. *You'd think people would get a clue
by now.

At least we're free to rebut.

Without getting decapitated. *Just investigated *;-)

And that's what's better about Western/New World society.

Yeah, your culture is simply much more open than Muslim culture as
witnessed in the Middle East under those regimes supported by the West
because it simply gets good deals.

But in light of some tendencies witnessed in the last few years, we
may soon be there.

Old October 14th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Tom Sherman writes:

ComandanteBanana wrote:
[...]

Yeah, our culture is simply much more open than Muslim culture as
witnessed in the Middle East under those regimes supported by the West
because it simply gets good deals.

But in light of some tendencies common in the last few years, we may
soon be there.
Old October 14th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Oct 10, 11:57 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:

Simply, some people should not be posting to Usenet.

Au contraire, mon frere! The freedoms we have left
/must/ be kept open. As wuzzhisname once paraphrasedly
said: "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll
defend to the death your right to say it."
[...]

This was a hint, not an advocation for newsgroup moderation.

No, that was more than a hint. I'm pretty tired of
his blather too. But y'know what? He's like those
stoopid false teeth things that ya wind up, and they
chatter across a tabletop for a while, and it's
supposed to be amusing, but it isn't because it's
so old. That's what CommandanteBanana _is_. That's
/all/ he is, and all he ever will be -- an annoying
kibbitzer with nothing meaningful or useful to say.

Annoying houseflies you can swat. But annoying
kibbitzers? shrug The only way to get rid of them
is to direct them toward something else they can pester
even worse.

Imagine how boring life would be with the usual news. Terrorism,
financial crisis, SUV commercials, and the 2008 elections...

That's why we are here, right?

Old October 14th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Oct 10, 11:12*pm, "S'mee" wrote:
On Oct 10, 4:03*pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:

Case in point is how we should make people pass a cycling/motorcycle
test and if they fail that test they won't have a chance with the
driving test! Why? Because it's better to knock a few cones with a
bicycle, than with a car, where those cones are bound to be cyclists
or pedestrians in real life.

Yeah and? You are stating the obvious...tha's why the unwashed masses
wont go for it.

Simply some people should not be driving!

Thankyou Cpt. Obvious.

"It's important to push for the obvious, because they push for the
things that make a profit, and that's obviously stupid."

-Great Thoughts by Comandante Banana