The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

Old July 21st 14, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

I am appealing to what superior persons (as a class) in
general think about phenomena. That is always how you decide what is superior to
what is inferior.

Well, I am trying to tell you what superior persons do think but you, erroneously believing yourself to belong to that class, aren't listening.

It is immaterial whether or not I am a superior person. The point is that I know a superior class of people when I see it – and you don’t. All you know is what the masses want (democratic rubbish), but the masses are never superior to anything except in their sheer numbers. They are easily the lowest common denominator qualitatively and are never to be catered to. Elementary my dear Watson!

You aren't great, you aren't particularly smart and you exhibit mildly sociopathic qualities.

I am Great ...and I am Smart ... and I am severely sociopathic when it comes to scoundrels like you!

Unlike the honorable and civilized Mr. Vandeman, I am an expert at ad hominem attacks. You have now entered MY territory!

Mountain bikers as a class of people are the scum of the earth, and that is what you are too. You encourage biking on trails designed and meant for hikers, thereby causing many injuries and deaths. You are so far beneath contempt that it is infra dignitatem for me to even be acknowledging a scoundrel like you., I regard you as little better than a criminal. As for knowing anything about what is superior, surely you jest! Anyone who rides his bike on hiking trails is inferior sui generis. You are indeed fortunate to have someone here like me who knows how to kick your dumb ass!
[...]

Violence must be met with violence, at least in the moment,
since there are unlikely to be any cops on the trails policing things. Your days
of doing what you want with your bike on trails are clearly numbered. A few
murders here and there will cause everyone to rethink what trails are for and
who they are for.

There is no violence Ed ... other than what you're proposing. You are promoting violence because you don't like someone else doing something ... not because they are threatening you. As such, your position is now entirely clear; you're the thug.

There is violence whenever a biker is seen or heard on a trail. It is mainly just mental for now, but it is going to turn physical sooner or later. You obviously do not know much about the nature of conflict. Read your own mountain biker propaganda to know what your ilk are like and what they think. Nothing they like to do better than build illegal trails. Thugs are what thugs do.
[...]

"Means and purpose determine everything. It is what trails are all about."
- Ed Dolan

Guess what Ed, a flawed aphorism from you is not a clinching argument. Your means and purpose are immaterial ... they're not mine. You are physically capable of using the trail, what goes on in your febrile mind is none of my concern.

“You obviously do not know much about the nature of conflict.” – Ed Dolan

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

Old July 22nd 14, 11:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

Well, I am trying to tell you what superior persons do think but
you, erroneously believing yourself to belong to that class, aren't
listening.

It is immaterial whether or not I am a superior person. The
point is that I know a superior class of people when I see it - and you don't.
All you know is what the masses want (democratic rubbish), but the masses are
never superior to anything except in their sheer numbers. They are easily the
lowest common denominator qualitatively and are never to be catered to.
Elementary my dear Watson!

What an unpleasant person you're showing yourself to be Ed. Is that really your aim. So, now, what you're saying is because you regard yourself as above everyone else you should get what you want at everyone else's expense.

Superior people, whilst they may not be of the people, are definitely for the good of the people. You're aligning yourself with tyrants and dictators who care nothing for others ... or, to put it another way, you're not even of the common herd as you so perjoratively put it, you're an inferior; morally and intellectually.

You aren't great, you aren't particularly smart and you exhibit

mildly sociopathic qualities.

I am Great ...and I am Smart ... and I am severely sociopathic
when it comes to scoundrels like you!

You sound like a small child having a tantrum. You're neither great nor smart and you prove it with pretty much every post.

Unlike the honorable and civilized Mr. Vandeman, I am an
expert at ad hominem attacks. You have now entered MY territory!

A perfect example of your inferiority ... superior people don't need profanity and ad hominem to win arguments. Perhaps that's why you keep losing .... you simply don't have the right skills.

Mountain bikers as a class of people are the scum of the
earth, and that is what you are too.

There is no class of mountain bikers ... mountain bikers come from all walks and classes ... it's a wonderfully egalitarian activity.

You encourage biking on trails
designed and meant for hikers, thereby causing many injuries and deaths.

Deaths from inactivity far outweigh the tiny numbers suffering death from mountainbiking accicents. 0.00123 per million miles travelled. If everyone rode a mountainbike then, yes, more would die from it but there would be a massively greater number who would not die prematurely from coronary diseases.

You are
so far beneath contempt that it is infra dignitatem for me to even be
acknowledging a scoundrel like you., I regard you as little better than a
criminal.

So, we're equal. I feel exactly the same way about you ... I just don't usually bother to mention it because I prefer to point out the massive flaws in your arguments rather than resort to ad hominem.

As for knowing anything about what is superior, surely you jest!
Anyone who rides his bike on hiking trails is inferior sui generis. You are
indeed fortunate to have someone here like me who knows how to kick your dumb
ass!

So, you consider yourself superior to an ex US President ? As for kicking ass, all you're doing is writing rubbish ... and the world rolls along ignoring you.

Violence must be met with violence, at least in the moment,

since there are unlikely to be any cops on the trails policing things.

Your days

of doing what you want with your bike on trails are clearly numbered.

A few

murders here and there will cause everyone to rethink what trails are

for and

who they are for.

There is no violence Ed ... other than what you're

proposing. You are promoting violence because you don't like someone
else doing something ... not because they are threatening you. As such,
your position is now entirely clear; you're the thug.

There is violence whenever a biker is seen or heard on a
trail. It is mainly just mental for now

Ah, good, so you finally admit that it is only in your fevered mind.

, but it is going to turn physical sooner
or later.

Only if there are a bunch of sociopaths like you around ... which is unlikely.

"Means and purpose determine everything. It is what trails are all

about."

- Ed Dolan

Guess what Ed, a flawed aphorism from you is not a clinching

argument. Your means and purpose are immaterial ... they're not
mine. You are physically capable of using the trail, what goes on in your
febrile mind is none of my concern.

"You obviously do not know much about the
nature of conflict." - Ed Dolan

You might be surprised ...
Old July 28th 14, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Well, I am trying to tell you what superior persons do think but

you, erroneously believing yourself to belong to that class, aren't
listening.

It is immaterial whether or not I am a superior person. The
point is that I know a superior class of people when I see it - and you don't.
All you know is what the masses want (democratic rubbish), but the masses are
never superior to anything except in their sheer numbers. They are easily the
lowest common denominator qualitatively and are never to be catered to.
Elementary my dear Watson!

What an unpleasant person you're showing yourself to be Ed. Is that really your aim. So, now, what you're saying is because you regard yourself as above everyone else you should get what you want at everyone else's expense.

I have already told you twice now that I know a superior class of people when I see it. You don’t. That is why you can associate yourself with thuggish mountain bikers.

Superior people, whilst they may not be of the people, are definitely for the good of the people. You're aligning yourself with tyrants and dictators who care nothing for others ... or, to put it another way, you're not even of the common herd as you so perjoratively put it, you're an inferior; morally and intellectually.

Superior types, like Mr. Vandeman and Myself, know what trails are good for – and you don’t. You are indeed of the masses – inferior, immoral and stupid.

You aren't great, you aren't particularly smart and you exhibit

mildly sociopathic qualities.

I am Great ...and I am Smart ... and I am severely sociopathic
when it comes to scoundrels like you!

You sound like a small child having a tantrum. You're neither great nor smart and you prove it with pretty much every post.

You prove with your every post that you are unable to carry the conversation forward. All you do is cover old ground. That is because you are stuck in your ways and unable to appreciate an opposite point of view.

Unlike the honorable and civilized Mr. Vandeman, I am an
expert at ad hominem attacks. You have now entered MY territory!

A perfect example of your inferiority ... superior people don't need profanity and ad hominem to win arguments. Perhaps that's why you keep losing ... you simply don't have the right skills.

You can call names and I will figure out how to call even better (worse) names. You can’t win because I have decades of bile stored up to use on the likes of you.

Mountain bikers as a class of people are the scum of the
earth, and that is what you are too.

There is no class of mountain bikers ... mountain bikers come from all walks and classes ... it's a wonderfully egalitarian activity.

It is a sporting life style that they all have in common. None of them have a clue what trails are for. As a class, they are all woefully ignorant, risk takers, and dumb jackasses - just like you.

You encourage biking on trails
designed and meant for hikers, thereby causing many injuries and deaths.

Deaths from inactivity far outweigh the tiny numbers suffering death from mountainbiking accicents. 0.00123 per million miles travelled. If everyone rode a mountainbike then, yes, more would die from it but there would be a massively greater number who would not die prematurely from coronary diseases.

Reports from the field in the media say otherwise. Biking on trails is dangerous.

You are
so far beneath contempt that it is infra dignitatem for me to even be
acknowledging a scoundrel like you., I regard you as little better than a
criminal.

So, we're equal. I feel exactly the same way about you ... I just don't usually bother to mention it because I prefer to point out the massive flaws in your arguments rather than resort to ad hominem.

A hiker is so far superior to a biker doing trails that there is nothing to discuss – except the wisdom of the one and the idiocy of the other.

As for knowing anything about what is superior, surely you jest!
Anyone who rides his bike on hiking trails is inferior sui generis. You are
indeed fortunate to have someone here like me who knows how to kick your dumb
ass!

So, you consider yourself superior to an ex US President ? As for kicking ass, all you're doing is writing rubbish ... and the world rolls along ignoring you.

Without getting into politics, I think Bush II just did his biking on scrubby desert trails, the kind that nobody ever walks. Even so, it sets a bad example. Bush I is dumb enough to want to jump out of airplanes (skydive). It must run in the family.
[...]

Old July 29th 14, 10:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

What an unpleasant person you're showing yourself to be Ed.
Is that really your aim. So, now, what you're saying is because you regard
yourself as above everyone else you should get what you want at everyone else's
expense.

I have already told you twice now that I know a superior class
of people when I see it. You don't. That is why you can associate yourself with
thuggish mountain bikers.

Ah, ducking the key point again I see. You DO think that your wishes trump those of others as you are 'superior'.

I certainly know to whom I would ascribe the moniker 'superior' and it assuredly wouldn't be you who, despite your poor understanding of physics, statistics and logic, consider yourself a cut above others.

Superior people, whilst they may not be of the people, are

definitely for the good of the people. You're aligning yourself with
tyrants and dictators who care nothing for others ... or, to put it another way,
you're not even of the common herd as you so perjoratively put it, you're an
inferior; morally and intellectually.

Superior types, like Mr. Vandeman and Myself, know what trails
are good for - and you don't. You are indeed of the masses - inferior, immoral
and stupid.

No, Ed, you know very little because you are completely closed to any external input, erroneously believing that what you think is somehow, axiomatically, true.

Vandeman is quite simply scum; a convicted criminal and sociopath who should have been locked up for longer.

You aren't great, you aren't particularly smart and you

exhibit

mildly sociopathic qualities.

I am Great ...and I am Smart ... and I am severely sociopathic

when it comes to scoundrels like you!

You sound like a small child having a tantrum. You're

neither great nor smart and you prove it with pretty much every post.

You prove with your every post that you are unable to carry
the conversation forward. All you do is cover old ground. That is because you
are stuck in your ways and unable to appreciate an opposite point of
view.

Ed, I understand your position but, since you cannot, despite multiple requests to do so, back it up objectively or logically it's hard to make progress and I am reduced to simply pointing out the flaws in your logic or data. We might move forward if we could agree that 0.00123 fatalities per million miles travelled and 1.54 injuries per 1,000 exposures make mountainbiking, when compared with other activities, relatively safe. But, since you don't want to rely on facts and instead prefer anecdote and prejudice I am just going to keep metaphorically kicking you into touch.

Unlike the honorable and civilized Mr. Vandeman, I am an

expert at ad hominem attacks. You have now entered MY territory!

A perfect example of your inferiority ... superior people don't

need profanity and ad hominem to win arguments. Perhaps that's why you
keep losing ... you simply don't have the right skills.

You can call names and I will figure out how to call even
better (worse) names. You can't win because I have decades of bile stored up to
use on the likes of you.

No, Ed, you can't win because your facts and logic are incorrect. You can call me what you like, water off a duck's back, but it won't change that so you will still lose.

Mountain bikers as a class of people are the scum of the

earth, and that is what you are too.

There is no class of mountain bikers ... mountain bikers come from

all walks and classes ... it's a wonderfully egalitarian activity.

It is a sporting life style that they all have in common. None
of them have a clue what trails are for. As a class, they are all woefully
ignorant, risk takers, and dumb jackasses - just like you.

They may, indeed, have a predisposition towards a sporting lifestyle .. which most would say is a very good thing indeed in this age of sedentary lifestyles resulting in premature death. However, to try and characterise 50 million people as all being alike is clear and obvious prejudice and stupidity.

You encourage biking on trails

designed and meant for hikers, thereby causing many injuries and

deaths.

Deaths from inactivity far outweigh the tiny numbers suffering

death from mountainbiking accicents. 0.00123 per million miles
travelled. If everyone rode a mountainbike then, yes, more would die from
it but there would be a massively greater number who would not die prematurely
from coronary diseases.

Reports from the field in the media say otherwise. Biking on
trails is dangerous.

No, Ed, they don't. If you don't believe my figures then come up with data and logic to produce your own figure and we can discuss it. Simply reposting media reports of occasional incidents proves absolutely nothing. In fact, the paucity of the reports actually suggests that mountainbiking is quite safe.

It's certainly safer than road cycling ... an activity in which you participate. So, who's the risk taker now ?

You are

so far beneath contempt that it is infra dignitatem for me to even be

acknowledging a scoundrel like you., I regard you as little better

than a

criminal.

So, we're equal. I feel exactly the same way about you ... I

just don't usually bother to mention it because I prefer to point out the
massive flaws in your arguments rather than resort to ad hominem.

A hiker is so far superior to a biker doing trails that there
is nothing to discuss - except the wisdom of the one and the idiocy of the
other.

Your prejudice, illogicality and hubris are such that I think you've shown who are the superior people around this newsgroup and who the barbarians.

As for knowing anything about what is superior, surely you jest!

Anyone who rides his bike on hiking trails is inferior sui generis.

You are

indeed fortunate to have someone here like me who knows how to kick

your dumb

ass!

So, you consider yourself superior to an ex US President ?

As for kicking ass, all you're doing is writing rubbish ... and the world rolls
along ignoring you.

Without getting into politics, I think Bush II just did his
biking on scrubby desert trails, the kind that nobody ever walks. Even so, it
sets a bad example. Bush I is dumb enough to want to jump out of airplanes
(skydive). It must run in the family.

Ah, avoiding the point again. Bush rides a mountainbike ... so you consider yourself superior to him. I suspect that most would not ... what have you done Ed to suggest that your opinions are worth more than others ?

Old July 30th 14, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

What an unpleasant person you're showing yourself to be Ed.

Is that really your aim. So, now, what you're saying is because you regard
yourself as above everyone else you should get what you want at everyone else's
expense.

I have already told you twice now that I know a superior class
of people when I see it. You don't. That is why you can associate yourself with
thuggish mountain bikers.

Ah, ducking the key point again I see. You DO think that your wishes trump those of others as you are 'superior'.

I certainly know to whom I would ascribe the moniker 'superior' and it assuredly wouldn't be you who, despite your poor understanding of physics, statistics and logic, consider yourself a cut above others.

The English know all about superior classes and inferior classes. Hell Bells, they even speak different languages. See “My Fair Lady”.

You don’t have to know any physics, statistics or logic to know what is what. You are the proof of that!

Superior people, whilst they may not be of the people, are

definitely for the good of the people. You're aligning yourself with
tyrants and dictators who care nothing for others ... or, to put it another way,
you're not even of the common herd as you so perjoratively put it, you're an
inferior; morally and intellectually.

Superior types, like Mr. Vandeman and Myself, know what trails
are good for - and you don't. You are indeed of the masses - inferior, immoral
and stupid.

No, Ed, you know very little because you are completely closed to any external input, erroneously believing that what you think is somehow, axiomatically, true.

Nope, I once thought biking on trails was a good idea – until I learned otherwise.
[...]

You prove with your every post that you are unable to carry
the conversation forward. All you do is cover old ground. That is because you
are stuck in your ways and unable to appreciate an opposite point of
view.

Ed, I understand your position but, since you cannot, despite multiple requests to do so, back it up objectively or logically it's hard to make progress and I am reduced to simply pointing out the flaws in your logic or data. We might move forward if we could agree that 0.00123 fatalities per million miles travelled and 1.54 injuries per 1,000 exposures make mountainbiking, when compared with other activities, relatively safe. But, since you don't want to rely on facts and instead prefer anecdote and prejudice I am just going to keep metaphorically kicking you into touch.

Your statistic has nothing to do with the dangers of biking on alpine trails in the US. But even if it did, I would be against mountain biking for multiple other reasons - mainly those having to do with the irreconcilable conflicts of means and purpose. Mr. Vandeman is opposed to biking on trails for his own very excellent reasons. There is nothing to be said for what you advocate since the world is full of zillions of miles of roads of all descriptions which are ideal for cycling.

Unlike the honorable and civilized Mr. Vandeman, I am an

expert at ad hominem attacks. You have now entered MY territory!

A perfect example of your inferiority ... superior people don't

need profanity and ad hominem to win arguments. Perhaps that's why you
keep losing ... you simply don't have the right skills.

You can call names and I will figure out how to call even
better (worse) names. You can't win because I have decades of bile stored up to
use on the likes of you.

No, Ed, you can't win because your facts and logic are incorrect. You can call me what you like, water off a duck's back, but it won't change that so you will still lose.

Your facts and logic are easily disposed of. But bile goes on forever. I will make sure I win any name calling contest.

Mountain bikers as a class of people are the scum of the

earth, and that is what you are too.

There is no class of mountain bikers ... mountain bikers come from

all walks and classes ... it's a wonderfully egalitarian activity.

It is a sporting life style that they all have in common. None
of them have a clue what trails are for. As a class, they are all woefully
ignorant, risk takers, and dumb jackasses - just like you.

They may, indeed, have a predisposition towards a sporting lifestyle ... which most would say is a very good thing indeed in this age of sedentary lifestyles resulting in premature death. However, to try and characterise 50 million people as all being alike is clear and obvious prejudice and stupidity.

A sporting life style is not for the trails. Find some kind of arena for that!

You encourage biking on trails

designed and meant for hikers, thereby causing many injuries and

deaths.

Deaths from inactivity far outweigh the tiny numbers suffering

death from mountainbiking accicents. 0.00123 per million miles
travelled. If everyone rode a mountainbike then, yes, more would die from
it but there would be a massively greater number who would not die prematurely
from coronary diseases.

Reports from the field in the media say otherwise. Biking on
trails is dangerous.

No, Ed, they don't. If you don't believe my figures then come up with data and logic to produce your own figure and we can discuss it. Simply reposting media reports of occasional incidents proves absolutely nothing. In fact, the paucity of the reports actually suggests that mountainbiking is quite safe.

What paucity is that? It is your figures that prove absolutely nothing.

It's certainly safer than road cycling ... an activity in which you participate. So, who's the risk taker now ?

Road cycling is indeed not entirely safe due to motorists. It is why I never like to see kids riding their bikes on highways. But at least road cycling is not interfering with what anyone else is doing, except maybe motorists – but who gives a damn about them! In any event, road cyclists are not being seriously injured and dying from hitting hazards in the roadway, unlike cyclists who ride trails.
[...]

Without getting into politics, I think Bush II just did his
biking on scrubby desert trails, the kind that nobody ever walks. Even so, it
sets a bad example. Bush I is dumb enough to want to jump out of airplanes
(skydive). It must run in the family.

Ah, avoiding the point again. Bush rides a mountainbike ... so you consider yourself superior to him. I suspect that most would not ... what have you done Ed to suggest that your opinions are worth more than others ?

When it comes to a recreation, I am indeed superior to him just as I am superior to you and to all mountain bikers. Very odd that you unable to follow my simplest thought without me having to spell it out for you.

Old August 5th 14, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

[...]

We do ... and, trust me, you would not be classified as superior.

You don't have to know any physics, statistics or logic to
know what is what. You are the proof of that!

Actually, yes, you do ... or you just make yourself look foolish if you then try and argue with someone who does.

[...]

You didn't learn anything Ed, you just decided you didn't like it. That's a completely different matter.

[...]

Yes, Ed, it does since it includes ALL fatalities globally that your pal vandeman could come up with ... set against all the rides.

And, again, you demonstrate your intractability .. even if I'm proven correct on the numbers you're just going to go somewhere else. You are completely closed to any other point of view and will keep metaphorically flailing around forever.

Mr. Vandeman is opposed to biking on trails for
his own very excellent reasons.

And I should care about this ? Why ? Vandeman is a criminal and sociopath ... his reasons and opinion matter now one whit to me.

There is nothing to be said for what you
advocate since the world is full of zillions of miles of roads of all
descriptions which are ideal for cycling.

There is plenty to be said for allowing people to choose ... I would far rather ride a trail than a road. It's safer, the scenery is better, the air is cleaner and I am out enjoying nature.

[...]

If they're so easily disposed of then do so. You've never refuted 0.00123 fatalities per million miles travelled nor 1.54 injuries per exposure. Go on ... don't just talk about refuting things ... do it !

As to your childish name calling, no, I'm not entering any such stupid contest. I just ignore your profanity as the railing of a frustrated intellectual infant.

[...]

Of course a sporting, healthy lifestyle is for the outdoors and the trails. You want to build arenas all over the natural world so you can then go for a run ????

[...]

Then why can't you refute them ?

It's certainly safer than road cycling ... an activity in which

you participate. So, who's the risk taker now ?

Road cycling is indeed not entirely safe due to motorists. It
is why I never like to see kids riding their bikes on highways. But at least
road cycling is not interfering with what anyone else is doing, except maybe
motorists - but who gives a damn about them! In any event, road cyclists are not
being seriously injured and dying from hitting hazards in the roadway, unlike
cyclists who ride trails.

Ah, so now I can relax ... I might get hit by a car ... but at least I won't hit a hazard in the roadway ! Overall, of course, I'm far more likely to get injured or killed but at least not from hitting a hazard in the roadway. That comment really reached an apogee of inanity. Do you actually bother to read what you write before you post it ??

Old August 20th 14, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

You don't have to know any physics, statistics or logic to
know what is what. You are the proof of that!

Actually, yes, you do ... or you just make yourself look foolish if you then try and argue with someone who does.

What you think you know argues strongly for it being a waste of time since you are unable to think clearly about the simplest things.
[...]

No, Ed, you know very little because you are completely closed to

any external input, erroneously believing that what you think is somehow,
axiomatically, true.

Nope, I once thought biking on trails was a good idea - until
I learned otherwise.

You didn't learn anything Ed, you just decided you didn't like it. That's a completely different matter.

Nope, I tried it once, didn’t like it and decided it was stupid. I then stumbled upon Mr. Vandeman’s posts on Usenet many decades later and was confirmed in my thinking. You on the other hand have a stupidity that is unconquerable.
[...]

There is nothing to be said for what you
advocate since the world is full of zillions of miles of roads of all
descriptions which are ideal for cycling.

There is plenty to be said for allowing people to choose ... I would far rather ride a trail than a road. It's safer, the scenery is better, the air is cleaner and I am out enjoying nature.

The above statement is proof positive that you are steeped in idiocy. It is more dangerous, there is plenty of scenery available on roads, the air is the same everywhere and you are NOT enjoying nature ... you are desecrating nature. Find another arena for your sport of mountain biking.
[...]

Christ! When are you going to learn how to edit a post?

Road cycling is indeed not entirely safe due to motorists. It
is why I never like to see kids riding their bikes on highways. But at least
road cycling is not interfering with what anyone else is doing, except maybe
motorists - but who gives a damn about them! In any event, road cyclists are not
being seriously injured and dying from hitting hazards in the roadway, unlike
cyclists who ride trails.

Ah, so now I can relax ... I might get hit by a car ... but at least I won't hit a hazard in the roadway ! Overall, of course, I'm far more likely to get injured or killed but at least not from hitting a hazard in the roadway. That comment really reached an apogee of inanity. Do you actually bother to read what you write before you post it ??

You are absolutely the greatest idiot it has ever been my displeasure to encounter on Usenet. Here it is again, you dumb jackass:

“In any event, road cyclists are not being seriously injured and dying from hitting hazards in the roadway, unlike
cyclists who ride trails.” - Ed Dolan

Old August 26th 14, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

You don't have to know any physics, statistics or logic to

know what is what. You are the proof of that!

Actually, yes, you do ... or you just make yourself look foolish

if you then try and argue with someone who does.

What you think you know argues strongly for it being a waste
of time since you are unable to think clearly about the simplest
things.

I don't make any great claims to erudition ... but I do know the basics whereas you clearly don't. No one with an ounce of statistical knowledge would ever try citing instances of a particular outcome without reference to the frequency in the population.

No, Ed, you know very little because you are completely

closed to

any external input, erroneously believing that what you think is

somehow,

axiomatically, true.

Nope, I once thought biking on trails was a good idea - until

I learned otherwise.

You didn't learn anything Ed, you just decided you didn't like

it. That's a completely different matter.

Nope, I tried it once, didn't like it and decided it was
stupid. I then stumbled upon Mr. Vandeman's posts on Usenet many decades
later and was confirmed in my thinking. You on the other hand have a stupidity
that is unconquerable.

I rest my case. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's stupid, just that you don't like it.

There is nothing to be said for what you
advocate since the world is full of zillions of miles of roads of all
descriptions which are ideal for cycling.

There is plenty to be said for allowing people to choose ... I

would far rather ride a trail than a road. It's safer, the scenery is
better, the air is cleaner and I am out enjoying nature.

The above statement is proof positive that you are steeped in
idiocy. It is more dangerous, there is plenty of scenery available on roads, the
air is the same everywhere and you are NOT enjoying nature ... you are
desecrating nature. Find another arena for your sport of mountain
biking.

No, Ed, you're the one showing idiocy here. The statistics for cyclist deaths on the road are orders of magnitude greater than for mountainbiking. You are advocating a much more dangerous activity simply because you don't want people to mountainbike. At the same time, you pretend that you're concerned about injuries and deaths to mountainbikers ... what hypocrisy.

[...]

hitting hazards in the roadway, unlike cyclists who ride trails." - Ed Dolan

You aren't showing a lot of greatness, or even comprehension Ed. Do you really not understand that the precise mechanism for injury or death is completely irrelevant ? Road cyclists are, mostly, getting killed or injured by being hit by other traffic, rather than hitting obstacles. However, they are being killed and injured at a massively higher rate than mountainbikers..

Do I have to spell everything out for you in words of one syllable ?
Old September 2nd 14, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

What you think you know argues strongly for it being a waste
of time since you are unable to think clearly about the simplest
things.

I don't make any great claims to erudition ... but I do know the basics whereas you clearly don't. No one with an ounce of statistical knowledge would ever try citing instances of a particular outcome without reference to the frequency in the population.

I only do that sort of thing if I take a number seriously, which I have never been able to do with any of your numbers. Common sense reigns supreme with me ... and your statistics be damned!
[...]

Nope, I tried it once, didn't like it and decided it was
stupid. I then stumbled upon Mr. Vandeman's posts on Usenet many decades
later and was confirmed in my thinking. You on the other hand have a stupidity
that is unconquerable.

I rest my case. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's stupid, just that you don't like it.

It means I am capable of changing my mind based on personal experience and the judgment of my betters. Too bad no one could ever say the same about you!

[...]

Road cycling is indeed dangerous which is why I am a great advocate of bicycle paths. The only mountain bikers I am concerned about are the innocent lambs who do it thinking it is safe. They think it is safe because of scoundrels like you who advocate for it.
[...]

You are absolutely the greatest idiot it has ever been my
displeasure to encounter on Usenet. Here it is again, you dumb
jackass:

"In any event, road cyclists are not being seriously injured and dying from
hitting hazards in the roadway, unlike cyclists who ride trails." - Ed Dolan

You aren't showing a lot of greatness, or even comprehension Ed. Do you really not understand that the precise mechanism for injury or death is completely irrelevant ? Road cyclists are, mostly, getting killed or injured by being hit by other traffic, rather than hitting obstacles. However, they are being killed and injured at a massively higher rate than mountainbikers.

Road cycling has been around from the beginning. It is not something anyone can do much about. The solution is to separate cyclists from motorists. Bike paths are the answer, although they can sometimes create other kinds of difficulties. My argument is all about the precise mechanism of injury and death. I am not arguing that road cycling is safer than mountain biking. Nice try though! However, I am arguing that hiking is about a thousand times safer than mountain biking.

Do I have to spell everything out for you in words of one syllable ?

When I have to look up a word like “otiose” in the dictionary, I know I am dealing with a jerk.

Old September 2nd 14, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

What you think you know argues strongly for it being a waste
of time since you are unable to think clearly about the simplest
things.

I don't make any great claims to erudition ... but I do know the

basics whereas you clearly don't.* No one with an ounce of statistical
knowledge would ever try citing instances of a particular outcome without
reference to the frequency in the population.

I only do that sort of thing if I take a number seriously,
which I have never been able to do with any of your numbers. Common sense reigns
supreme with me ... and your statistics be damned!

I didn't ask you to take my numbers ... I asked YOU to provide some in order to justify your position. You appear to be unable to do so.

I reiterate my key point; bereft a reference to the number of exposures to a given activity simply providing cases of untoward occurrences tell you nothing about the risk level.

Nope, I tried it once, didn't like it and decided it was

stupid.* I then stumbled upon Mr. Vandeman's posts on Usenet many

decades

later and was confirmed in my thinking. You on the other hand have a

stupidity

that is unconquerable.

I rest my case.* Just because you don't like something

doesn't mean it's stupid, just that you don't like it.

It means I am capable of changing my mind based on personal
experience and the judgment of my betters. Too bad no one could ever say the
same about you!

Well, I've bettered you logically on all your major points but I don't see you changing your mind ... so clearly you are rather more intransigent than you opine.

*

[...]

Ed, you seem incapable of following a coherent train of thought.

In response to my statement ... "I would far rather ride a trail than a road. It's safer, the scenery is better, the air is cleaner and I am out enjoying nature."

you wrote

"It is more dangerous, there is plenty of scenery available on roads, the
air is the same everywhere and you are NOT enjoying nature ... you are
desecrating nature. Find another arena for your sport of mountain
biking."

So, yes, you most certainly DID try and claim that road cycling was safer than mountainbiking a trail. Which, as you well know, is NOT the case. Do you want to just debate yourself with your various contrary positions ?