Does the bike make a difference?

Old July 21st 05, 10:02 PM

Default Does the bike make a difference?

I'm a long time (3 years ) rider of recumbents and have always wondered
if the bike you ride could make that much difference in average speed.
Particularly if your an avewrage rider or commuter as I am who is not
in racing condition. Well to get to the point, I've been commuting
between 12 to 20 miles almost daily on a Burley Taiko set up in the SWB
position averaging between 11.3 to 13.1 mi/hr. The average is probably
12.4 mi/hr. I ride as fast as I'm able but restricted by age and
arthritis. I could probably go faster, but there is an outside limit
that my joints can take. You might even think of this as a biological
governor.

Recently purchased an 03 left over Vision r-64 and my first commute
averaged an astounding 14.9 mi/hr. Later in the week when the novelty
wore off and I was closer to my normal pain threshold I clock 14.4
mi/hr average. The vision high racer with 650c wheels is by no means
the top of the line nor is it the only fast bike out there. But there
it is for you fellow duffers who think that nothing can help, that it's
all in the engine. 2 mi /hr represents a 16% increase in average
speed. My only regret is that I didn't do this 3 years ago.

Gene Cosloy

Old July 21st 05, 10:58 PM
Mark Leuck

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The Vision is more laid-back than the Burley which is the main reason for
your increase.

Old July 21st 05, 11:31 PM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Gene Cosloy wrote:

Recently purchased an 03 left over Vision r-64 and my first
commute averaged an astounding 14.9 mi/hr.
2 mi /hr represents a 16% increase in average speed.

Yep, the bike can certainly make a difference. When I started riding my
Tour Easy, my 13-mile commute time went from 55 minutes to 45 minutes, a
22% increase in average speed.

Old July 28th 05, 05:34 PM

I doubt that is the only reason Mike. I'm about the same laid back
angle on both bikes, however the vision BB is about 4 " higher than the
Burley from the seat heights. I think a combination of air resistance
being lower, lower friction from high pressure low width tires, lower
roatating mass on the wheels and about 3 lbs. less weight overall all
contribute. Oh yes the handlebars on the vision cause your arms to tuck
in closer to the body reducing air resistance as well. Any way I'm
thrilled I can keep up and even pass some DF bikes now.

Gene

Old July 28th 05, 06:09 PM
Jon Meinecke

wrote
Any way I'm thrilled I can keep up and even pass
some DF bikes now.

So can I, just not the particularly fast ones... %^)
Some I can even pass on my BikeE! %^P

I seem to be slightly faster on my Volae than on my
Tour Easy,-- under similar conditions, maybe as much
as 10%...

Jon Meinecke