Plan B (does not necessarily exclude Plan A)

Old March 20th 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Plan B (does not necessarily exclude Plan A)

Tom Sherman wrote:
Plan B would be to get a commuter bike to ride at least in the winter,
and to use for errands. Commuting distance combined with a shopping stop
would be 8 miles or less.
Requirements a
A. Heavy duty frame - should be able to handle 120 kgf of rider and
cargo on less than ideal roads. Rigid fork hard-tail required.
B. Corrosion resistant - a fat tube aluminium alloy frame is fine as
long as it is overbuilt (see A).
C. Decent handling on snow, ruts, gravel, over broken pavement.
D. Mounts for fenders and clearance for fat (60-mm) tires.
E. Mounts for a rear rack that can handle two loaded bucket panniers.
F. Able to use an internally gear hub.
G. Dynamo hub lighting.
H. Hub brakes - drums preferred for theft resistance.
I. ISO 559-mm wheel size preferred for greater fat tire choices.

landotter wrote:
http://helenscycles.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibId=51876
Electra Amsterdam Balloon 8. Yeah, it's derailleured, but it's a 1X8
system which is about stupidly easy to maintain as it gets.[...]

Tom Sherman wrote:
Does it work when the derailer fills with slush that later freezes?

" wrote:
Its not the derailleur that causes the problem in the land of snow and
ice known as Iowa. Its the freehub itself that stops working. The
little pawls stop being pressed outward by their springs and stop
engaging the freehub body. So you end up with a freewheel in both
directions. Internal hub might solve the problem. But a fixed gear/
single speed definitely will. Single speed until the cold stops the
freewheel from working. Then flip the wheel around and go fixed until
it warms up.

landotter wrote:
I've never had a problem with either derailleurs or internal hubs in
ice bike conditions. Only had brake cables freeze up a couple times,
which is far more scary. Just use plenty of lube in the freehub.
Castrol is cheap and smells terrific.

Memphis ice isn't really comparable to Milwaukee, Chicago or
Minneapolis ice. Heck, your salt water doesn't even freeze!

I was in Memphis last month at +20F. The locals complained
of the cold. 12 hours later I was home at -20F.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 20th 09, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

landotter wrote:
I've never had a problem with either derailleurs or internal hubs in
ice bike conditions. Only had brake cables freeze up a couple times,
which is far more scary. Just use plenty of lube in the freehub.
Castrol is cheap and smells terrific.

Memphis ice isn't really comparable to Milwaukee, Chicago or
Minneapolis ice. Heck, your salt water doesn't even freeze!

I was in Memphis last month at +20F. The locals complained
of the cold. 12 hours later I was home at -20F.
--

I've lived many years in various far north places. ;-) If it's below
ten, the bus is a really nice option.

Plan B (does not necessarily exclude Plan A) Tom Sherman[_2_] Techniques 14 March 20th 09 12:53 AM
Plan B (does not necessarily exclude Plan A) landotter Techniques 0 March 19th 09 09:11 PM
Plan Your Journey Skewer Australia 2 November 5th 06 07:37 AM
Here's a plan for you Wayne Pein Racing 0 October 9th 06 09:32 PM
The New Uni Plan e39m5 Unicycling 24 June 6th 05 02:53 AM