Front Brake LH or RH?

Old September 24th 20, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Front Brake LH or RH?

On 24/09/2020 16.47, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 24.09.2020 um 17:33 schrieb Tosspot:
On 24/09/2020 15.45, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Tosspot wrote:
On 23/09/2020 21.17, Sepp Ruf wrote:

What nonsense exactly do they need to avoid in Germany?

Mandatory lights, hub dynamo, reflectors on wheels and pedals, bell,
probably one or two more I can't remember.

To legally sell and ship a bike domestically, Rose is not required to
mount or include any of the mentioned articles.* (And Stvzo approved
battery
lights have been completely legal for seven years.)

I stand corrected.* I will have a word with my German colleagues and
works cycle to work scheme implementors.* And also get rid of all
aforementioned rubbish adorning my commuter.

Do you understand the difference between "legally sell a bike" and
"legally use a bike on the road"?
Bikes that are not meant to be used on roads do not need to have
equipment that is necessary for legally using the roads.* This is the
difference between a trade restriction and a usage restriction.

I think so.
Old September 24th 20, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 11:42:38 +0100, Tosspot
wrote:

On 24/09/2020 00.36, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/23/2020 12:51 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 08:55:56 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/

Who needs two levers anyway?
https://www.outbraker.com/double-booster/
"DBB is designed for disabled riders who need to control Front/Rear
Brakes together with one arm."

I think that's far from ideal. Except for the slowest paved road
flatland riding, it's very valuable to be able to control the two brakes
individually. I'm not sure what that company is doing with a variable
reservoir, but their adjustment probably can't be made instantaneously
while riding.

The best idea was from Oli Sparrow, who seems to have shuffled off the
interweb, his idea was a single lever controlling both independently.

A picture here;

http://www.mtb-amputee.com/images/Oli%20Sparrow02.jpg

His website detailed it a lot more. I'm sure there was a market, as
people that needed one would pay a lot, but a small market.

I looked at the picture. But does one only have a choice between the
rear brake or the front brake?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 25th 20, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

[...]

You have a middle brake?

I don't know, but it looks to me like a person could apply force to both
at once.
Old September 25th 20, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/24/2020 10:45 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:

(And Stvzo approved battery
lights have been completely legal for seven years.)

They're hard to find here in the U.S. Do you have links to common ones
over there?

The truly "common" ones are 9.99 euro items sold by Aldi etc. Like many low
and mid-priced options, they tend to sell by max lux numbers, so the beams
tend to be too spotty to be fun.
https://weltderangebote.de/aldi-sued...-von-bikemate/

Lezyne has an okay StVZO product range, but their marketing droids decided
to put less effort into smooth beams than into filling marketing segments
differentiated by pricing, mounts, and weights.

Bummies like the Ixon Space (IQ-X optics) and the Ixon Core (Eyc optics)
https://www.bike24.com/p2193743.html

The Lupine SL-A offers a good beam.
https://www.lupine.de/products/bike-...ad-bike-lights
For America where there's a thinner supply of used $200 lampheads sold by
those "upgrading" to newer models that include Stvzo high-beam options, the
Outbound Lighting Road Edition makes more sense, especially in mid-to high
glare traffic environments.
Old September 25th 20, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/24/2020 8:17 PM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the links. The Lupine looks excellent - but wow, what a price!

The prices of many good headlights astonish me. At this point, it seems
it should be easy to clone the optics of a top shelf StVZO light and
produce a cheap copy. I imagine the electronic designs are well settled,
and the rest is little more complicated than a flashlight.

I agree, BTW, that StVZO does not guarantee a smooth, non-spotty beam.
And a well designed beam makes a huge difference.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 25th 20, 12:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

No the axes combine, like a universal joint. There is a piston for each
axis so you can balance the braking force front/rear as you wish. It
really is quite clever in concept, and simple in implementation.

Old September 25th 20, 12:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 25/09/2020 01.17, Sepp Ruf wrote:

snip

The Lupine SL-A offers a good beam.
https://www.lupine.de/products/bike-...ad-bike-lights
For America where there's a thinner supply of used $200 lampheads sold by
those "upgrading" to newer models that include Stvzo high-beam options, the
Outbound Lighting Road Edition makes more sense, especially in mid-to high
glare traffic environments.

That SL-AX is a damn good light. I wish I hadn't seen that, but what's
nearly 500 euros between friends eh?

Old September 25th 20, 12:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Default Stvzo lamps (was: Front Brake LH or RH?)

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Go ahead, it takes serious money to clone optics well. So far, PRC Bicycle
Toys Inc. is only investing in superficial copying.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/E-bike-24V-36V-48V-60V-72V-LED-Head-Light-Front-Fork-Handlebar-Lamp-Horn-Scooter/392908722032

I agree, BTW, that StVZO does not guarantee a smooth, non-spotty beam.
And a well designed beam makes a huge difference.

Face it, Frank: The cutoff-beam of a Finland-made, $15 Herrmans Black-MR4
lamp will still be brighter and better balanced to see by (tree branches
excluded) than your legacy halogen dynamo lamp.
Old September 25th 20, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Stvzo lamps

On 9/25/2020 7:44 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

I agree, BTW, that StVZO does not guarantee a smooth, non-spotty beam.
And a well designed beam makes a huge difference.

Face it, Frank: The cutoff-beam of a Finland-made, $15 Herrmans Black-MR4
lamp will still be brighter and better balanced to see by (tree branches
excluded) than your legacy halogen dynamo lamp.

Oh, I don't doubt that. It's been a long time since I used a halogen
lamp of any kind.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 25th 20, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I agree, BTW, that StVZO does not guarantee a smooth, non-spotty beam.
And a well designed beam makes a huge difference.

Face it, Frank: The cutoff-beam of a Finland-made, $15 Herrmans Black-MR4
lamp will still be brighter and better balanced to see by (tree branches
excluded) than your legacy halogen dynamo lamp.

Oh, I don't doubt that. It's been a long time since I used a halogen
lamp of any kind.

Okay, I wrongly remembered something about you refusing to use that Oculus
lamp thing in favor of your trusted halogen dynamo light.