Sonora Pass ride description & photos up

Old November 3rd 05, 06:03 PM
Dan

Default Sonora Pass ride description & photos up

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
. com...

My head is spinning. All I did was visually inspect the readouts from the
HAC-4 (altitude, distance & percent grade... the latter used only as an
indication of where a steep part might have begun or ended, nothing more)
and look for sections approximately .6 miles or greater that showed fairly
high numbers for percent grade. Then, using the altitude & distance
numbers, calculate percent grade over that section.

Obviously this won't tell you what the absolute steepest grade is, but
it's very good at determining where it's going to hurt the most.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Probably as good of a way to do it as any and way easier too.

Old November 3rd 05, 07:09 PM
steephill

"PIN Number" ... that's a good one!

"proper Spanish or not it has become common usage in English for
the
mountains in the Sierra Nevada mountain range."

It started after John Muir's era because I only saw "Sierra" or "Sierra
Nevada" in his writings.

"Just like 'Rockies' is used for those in the Rocky Mountain range"

I'm not sure about that one since the redundancy isn't obvious. You be
may right.

Steve
http://www.steephill.tv

Old November 3rd 05, 07:20 PM
Don Freeman

"steephill" wrote in message
ups.com...
"PIN Number" ... that's a good one!

"proper Spanish or not it has become common usage in English for
the
mountains in the Sierra Nevada mountain range."

It started after John Muir's era because I only saw "Sierra" or "Sierra
Nevada" in his writings.

"Just like 'Rockies' is used for those in the Rocky Mountain range"

I'm not sure about that one since the redundancy isn't obvious. You be
may right.

No redundancy but how common usage makes such shortcuts.

Just because John Muir did not use the term doesn't mean that it wasn't
used. One would think that he would also find using it awkward, feeling as
he did about them. That's just my guess though.

Old November 4th 05, 02:57 AM
Mike McGuire

Don Freeman wrote:

Speaking of redundancies: Morro Rock, or one the ways to get the Cuesta
Grade.

Don

How about the "crew" team?

Mike
Old November 4th 05, 05:55 AM

Mike McGuire writes:

Speaking of redundancies: Morro Rock, or one the ways to get the
Cuesta Grade.

I don't speak Spanish but I don't think Cuesta means grade, nor Morro
means rock.

How about the "crew" team?

How about "crank arm" and "frame set" or "- set" of any kind.

In California, the round sign "P" with a red slash through it is not
used but rather a sign saying: "No Parking At any time". What else
could "No Parking" mean in the absence of exceptions? Traffic is no
longer on the road but on the "road way". The diamond orange warning
sign with a man and shovel is replaced by a series of signs "Men and
Equipment Working in Roadway Ahead"... ahead? where else? And then
"be Prepared to Stop" instead of a picture of a stop sign on a diamond
shaped orange sign, and many other wordy redundancies.

We are living in a time of "enhanced" speech. If five words will do,
use them instead of one. I will have a stronger effect. Oops, I
meant impact.

Besides that, there are apparently language scholars in the road sign
department who have gotten rid of "Narrow Road" signs and replaced
them with "Road Narrows" signs. I prefer the diamond sigh with the
symbol of parallel lines that get narrower in a jog at midpoint.

Our lovely "Pescadero Road" that connects La Honda to the Pescadero is
getting new signs with "Pescadero Creek Road". If it's more words it
must be better.

Golden Stairs! (...set)

Jobst Brandt
Old November 4th 05, 08:02 AM
steephill

"I don't speak Spanish but I don't think Cuesta means grade, nor
Morro
means rock."

I just had Cuesta and Morro translated. Cuesta means hill and Morro
means nose.

regards,
Escarpado Cuesta
(steep hill)

Old November 4th 05, 07:46 PM
Terry Morse

"steephill.tv" wrote:

Since moving to California, it's puzzled me when I see the word
"Sierra" pluralized as you wrote "It really is this pretty in the
Sierras." Isn't it redundant to pluralize Sierra since it means
mountains or mountain range in Spanish? Small issue... I'm just
curious.

Only the pedantic and misguided insist on "Sierra" in place of
"Sierras". English is the predominant language in California, so the
plural form of a spanish word doesn't convey "plural" to most of the
population.

Personally, I think that "Sierras" as an abbreviation of "Sierra
Nevada mountains" is just fine. Mangling Spanish words is a long
standing tradition in this state.
--
terry morse
Old November 4th 05, 07:47 PM
Terry Morse

"Don Freeman" wrote:

Speaking of redundancies: Morro Rock, or one the ways to get the Cuesta
Grade.

Don't forget Roble Oaks.
--
terry
Old November 4th 05, 08:43 PM
lwedge

steephill Wrote:
"I don't speak Spanish but I don't think Cuesta means grade, nor
Morro
means rock."

I just had Cuesta and Morro translated. Cuesta means hill and Morro
means nose.

regards,
Escarpado Cuesta
(steep hill)Colina escarpado