Sunglasses

Old September 23rd 19, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Sunglasses

On Monday, September 23, 2019 at 1:41:28 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 3:55:55 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/22/2019 2:10 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
While sunglasses are usually valued for their ability to shade the eyes from glare that is not the first use of them on a bike.

On a bike you need them to shield the eyes from wind and road debris that might be kicked up from passing cars or the wind. They are especially important descending when you can be traveling 40 mph or more in the open air.

This used to be pretty well understood but it seems to have been thrown aside. None of the reasonably priced glasses are large enough to prevent a windstorm pulling around your glasses and blinding you at critical times..

The glasses that used to work well - Oakley, Bolle and Smith are now of breath-taking expense and they TOO are now reducing their sizes. I cannot even find a Bolle Contour anymore. Even the $200 Oakley is too small.

Another thing - as a cyclist you often ride from light to shadow and out into the bright sunlight again. Heavily tinted sunglasses makes the road turn totally invisible in these shadow conditions. California roads filled with potholes and broken whiskey bottles are not amiable to having your sight hindered. On the first ride on a set of 600 Campy wheels I ran over a missing utility road opening and broke several spokes and could barely make it home. I had it repaired but it now breaks spokes so regularly that I no longer use it.

The polarized glasses I've used do not seem to provide any improvements. Though the blue tinted ones seem to be a happy medium.

One would think that the Chinese who are generally really fast on the uptake would jump on this market but they too are both skimping with the size of the lens and even worse yet the optical characteristics can have you seeing double.

And the latest fad of very wide side pieces can rob you entirely of peripheral vision.

I bought several pairs of $2 Chinese sunglasses in the hope that one would work. One was Tifosi and it is pretty good as long as I keep the speed below 30. Another is an unnamed brand.

Has anyone had any good luck with sunglasses lately?

I've had excellent luck with "sunglasses" since I started riding avidly
in about 1973. But my "sunglasses" have always been my regular glasses
with photochromic lenses.

For me, it's just one less thing to worry about. These work with any
bike I ride, for day or night riding, they work with my home-made
eyeglass mirrors (one stored in each bike), they never get misplaced
because they're always in front of my eyes, they don't clash with my
street clothes nor my riding clothes, etc.

I suppose in almost five decades I've had a couple incidents of grit or
a small insect getting in my eye, but it's never been more than a minor
irritation, and it's been rare enough that I don't feel the need for
fancy special protection.

YMMV.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank, I don't think you read any of my postings about how much climbing I do. 46 mph isn't all that unusual on a good descent even now that I'm not overdoing the descending speeds. Having that much wind in your eyes is extremely dangerous.

I've topped 45 mph many times. My personal record is 54 mph, frustrated because
the car in front of me wouldn't go faster.

- Frank Krygowski
Old September 23rd 19, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, 23 September 2019 15:30:48 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, September 23, 2019 at 12:18:20 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, 23 September 2019 12:09:56 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 11:41:20 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 7:02:39 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

BTW, I'm just back from a short ride to visit a friend. I went there in
daylight, returned in dark. Same glasses, no problem.

Also, it's so nice to have a powerful dynamo light ready at a click.

Powerful dynamo light is kind of an oxymoron. It is nice not to have to remember to recharge, though.

Leaving my friend's house, I had a downhill for about half a mile, much of it at
25 mph or more. My tiny Busch & Mueller Eyc headlight was perfectly fine, except
through a fairly tight S turn, where I could have used more beam width. (The
IQ Cyo seems to have a wider beam.)

Cutting through some neighborhoods later in the ride, I verified again that the
headlight illuminated road signs about a quarter mile away. I can't imagine
needing more. But as always, YMMV.

- Frank Krygowski

A cheapo flashlight like SMS used to recommend will often illuminate a road sign at 1/4 mile distance. What I want in a bicycle light is something that illuminates the ROAD ahead of me. If it illuminates the shoulders too that's even better. That's what I really liked about my CygoLite Rover II light - it lit up the shoulders as well as the road surface plus it had an external battery pack that I could keep under my jacket during winter rides.. The only problem with that light was that it didn't have the 'reach' that I prefer when riding very fast on country roads at night where the only source of light is my bicycle light.

These lights illuminate the road better than almost anything on the market. It
really is beneficial to have an even distribution of light, not a crude "hot
spot" overcooking the pavement.

BTW, I have a friend who loves to ride a nearby bike trail (or MUP) as the full
moon is rising. Last full moon (last Friday the 13th) I remarked that his
headlight batteries were low, that his light had a yellowish cast. "I've got
some fresh batteries, but why bother? I'll just ride next to you and use your
light." And near the ride's end, he was asking me about buying a generator light.

- Frank Krygowski

And my riding buddys can ride in the light of my CygoLite Rover II.

Also, my comment about SMS style flashlights come bicycle lights was to show that even a narrow flashlight beam can effectively light up road signs 1/4 mile distant. I was NOT implying that such lights make good bicycle lights.

My bicycle lights do NOT go out if I stop or if I ride very slowly. They can also be removed from the bike for other uses or to be place onto another bike. To me, a dynamo powered light is a dedicated to one bike only light. Not so great if you have different bikes you want to ride at night.

Cheers
Old September 23rd 19, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, September 23, 2019 at 1:17:26 AM UTC-5, James wrote:
On 23/9/19 4:10 am, Tom Kunich wrote:
While sunglasses are usually valued for their ability to shade the
eyes from glare that is not the first use of them on a bike.

It is for me. Protection from debris is secondary.

Wind protection is the only thing that matters. Sun protection is nonsense.. On many rides I have started at dawn or before. Used clear sunglasses for the wind protection and to see in the dark. Used a small helmet light. Later in the ride it was sunny but I kept on wearing the clear glasses for wind protection. Never had any problem seeing with clear glasses. No need for sunglasses to shield my delicate eyes from the terrible sunlight.

The polarized glasses I've used do not seem to provide any
improvements. Though the blue tinted ones seem to be a happy medium.

I use a pair of polarised Bolle sunglasses for both cycling and fishing.
They work fine for me.

--
JS

Old September 23rd 19, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, September 23, 2019 at 12:45:48 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

A Dyno is nice for my dedicated commuter bike, particularly when I forget to charge my L&M battery light, which I did twice last week -- actually, once I left the light on in the rack, and it ran down. None of my rack-mates turned it off for me, which I do for them on a somewhat regular basis (the parking lot guys watch me to make sure I'm not stealing something). Anyway, I was a little nervous riding home in the gloom with all the entering traffic on my commute route.

What amount of light is "needed" is like proclaiming the best ice cream flavor -- but having some light in the event of a battery failure is nice. Dynos are fine "be seen" lights. I prefer more light to see, particularly in the rain. Before switching commuter bikes, I had my Luxos B/SPPD 8 and a L&M Urban 750 all-in-one. Now I just use the urban or a SECA 1400.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 24th 19, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, September 23, 2019 at 3:45:48 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Yes, that's probably true. I'm not saying no battery lights are good. I'm
refuting Jay's implication that dynamo lights are bad. He said "Powerful dynamo
light is kind of an oxymoron."

Also, my comment about SMS style flashlights come bicycle lights was to show that even a narrow flashlight beam can effectively light up road signs 1/4 mile distant. I was NOT implying that such lights make good bicycle lights.

That's good. But again, I was countering Jay's implication that dynamo lights
can't be powerful. If I can easily see a road sign lit up 1/4 mile away, that
indicates my dynamo light is pretty bright. Like it or not, most battery lights
can't do that.

My bicycle lights do NOT go out if I stop or if I ride very slowly.

As I was showing my friend as I walked out his driveway, this dynamo-headlight
set lights up nicely at a brisk walking pace. Below that, its less bright - but
at slow speed, you need less light. When stopped, its stand light is on,
although not nearly as bright. It's never been a problem. It works for me.

They can also be removed from the bike for other uses or to be place onto another bike.

Yeah, I don't have to do that. See below.

To me, a dynamo powered light is a dedicated to one bike only light. Not so great if you have different bikes you want to ride at night.

The only bike that doesn't have its own dynamo and headlight is the rarely-used
mountain bike. But I've got extras I could mount on that one, if I chose.

Because I was planning to donate a generator to the friend who was riding beside
me, I've got about six of them lying on my workbench right now. I've got several
more in the workbench drawer, including some real oddballs: a spoke-drive unit,
a couple 12V 6W units, an extra roller dynamo (besides the two on our folding
bikes), some _real_ antiques, etc. And unlike batteries, these things generally
last almost forever.

The multiple headlights have been more of an investment, but I've figured they
were worth it just for the convenience of never having to worry about having
a light. And unlike certain posters here, I can afford them. Heck, I can afford
groceries! ;-)

- Frank Krygowski
Old September 24th 19, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, September 23, 2019 at 4:14:37 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

What amount of light is "needed" is like proclaiming the best ice cream flavor..

Chocolate peanut butter. Just ask my wife. She's very adamant about that.

- Frank Krygowski

Old September 24th 19, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 11:45:02 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 7:23:11 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 18:55:52 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

I don;t wear glasses for normal vision - only when things get too
close - but have been quiter happy with "safety glasses. They are
shaped to provide eye safety, i.e., heep the crud out of the eyes, and
seem to have rasonably good sun protection. AND, are nrmally quite
reasonible in price :-)
see
https://www.amazon.com/GaoCold-Outdo...9194420&sr=1-6
--

I've been riding with safety glasses for years. Cheap, lightweight, wrap around, ANSI Z87 rated. Cheap enough that you can afford to lose or break a couple of pair a year. I prefer clear lenses - my eyes don't react well to sunglasses when riding in and out of shade, which doesn't seem to be a problem with clear lenses. I ride sunglass versions when I know I'm going to be mostly in the sun.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OBZ1XI..._t1_B00323LZVU

I find that, for whatever reason, I seldom need, or use, colored
glasses. In fact the one time that I really need them is early in the
morning when the sun is barely over the horizon and I am heading east
:-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 24th 19, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Really dark sunglasses are bad in hard dappled light, which you probably get there in the jungle. I get that in the forest with my prescription sun glasses. It's hard to see what's happening in the shadows, which makes fast descents under the trees a little hairy.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 24th 19, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

I tried for many years to buy a "jungle bike" to ride in the jungle
but never could find one so can only ride on the road these days.

But early in the morning, just after "sun up" the rays of the sun are
almost horizontal. Right straight in your eyes. A bit later and the
sun is high enough that your normal hat brim shades your eyes.

It might be different in a more northern latitude but here the dawn
comes up like thunder 'crost the bay and you need your sunglasses in
the early morning.

--
cheers,

John B.

The 300 quid sunglasses Simon Mason UK 0 November 14th 11 06:01 AM
Sunglasses RicodJour Racing 1 July 15th 10 03:49 AM
Sunglasses & Rx jalex General 13 March 18th 07 05:02 AM
Sunglasses Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 9 June 9th 05 04:56 PM
Ebay sunglasses Rob UK 6 March 31st 05 09:00 PM