Can you attach cleats to boots?

Old August 27th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pilgrim

Default Can you attach cleats to boots?

I got these bad ass Frye boots today. They don't fit in my toe-clips
all that well though. They have a bit of a heel on them, so there's
some room where I might be able to bolt a cleat. I've never had a pair
of clipless pedals before. Is it possible to attach the cleats to the
bottom of a shoe not specifically meant for the purpose?

http://tinyurl.com/288unf

Old August 27th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Aug 26, 8:20 pm, Pilgrim wrote:
I got these bad ass Frye boots today. They don't fit in my toe-clips
all that well though. They have a bit of a heel on them, so there's
some room where I might be able to bolt a cleat. I've never had a pair
of clipless pedals before. Is it possible to attach the cleats to the
bottom of a shoe not specifically meant for the purpose?

http://tinyurl.com/288unf

It's possible if you're crafty, but recessing the cleat will be
difficult. Just use some rubber block pedals like the rest of the
world uses. Alternately some mtb platforms.

Old August 27th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Flom

"Pilgrim" wrote in message
ps.com...
I got these bad ass Frye boots today. They don't fit in my toe-clips
all that well though. They have a bit of a heel on them, so there's
some room where I might be able to bolt a cleat. I've never had a pair
of clipless pedals before. Is it possible to attach the cleats to the
bottom of a shoe not specifically meant for the purpose?

http://tinyurl.com/288unf

Nice troll.

Old August 27th 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 01:20:25 +0000, Pilgrim wrote:

I got these bad ass Frye boots today. They don't fit in my toe-clips
all that well though. They have a bit of a heel on them, so there's
some room where I might be able to bolt a cleat. I've never had a pair
of clipless pedals before. Is it possible to attach the cleats to the
bottom of a shoe not specifically meant for the purpose?

http://tinyurl.com/288unf

"Make you own clipless combat boots":

http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/boots.html
Old August 27th 07, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pilgrim

On Aug 26, 6:50 pm, "Jim Flom" wrote:
"Pilgrim" wrote in message

ps.com...

I got these bad ass Frye boots today. They don't fit in my toe-clips
all that well though. They have a bit of a heel on them, so there's
some room where I might be able to bolt a cleat. I've never had a pair
of clipless pedals before. Is it possible to attach the cleats to the
bottom of a shoe not specifically meant for the purpose?

http://tinyurl.com/288unf

Nice troll.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/288unf

satisfied?

Old August 27th 07, 08:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pilgrim

On Aug 26, 9:45 pm, Gary Young wrote:
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 01:20:25 +0000, Pilgrim wrote:
I got these bad ass Frye boots today. They don't fit in my toe-clips
all that well though. They have a bit of a heel on them, so there's
some room where I might be able to bolt a cleat. I've never had a pair
of clipless pedals before. Is it possible to attach the cleats to the
bottom of a shoe not specifically meant for the purpose?

http://tinyurl.com/288unf

"Make you own clipless combat boots":

http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/boots.html

Thanks, that answers my question!

Old August 27th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zog The Undeniable

Pilgrim wrote:
I got these bad ass Frye boots today. They don't fit in my toe-clips
all that well though. They have a bit of a heel on them, so there's
some room where I might be able to bolt a cleat. I've never had a pair
of clipless pedals before. Is it possible to attach the cleats to the
bottom of a shoe not specifically meant for the purpose?

http://tinyurl.com/288unf

I don't see why not. Original Shimano shoes used a separate plate
inside, to which the cleats bolted. With a drill and a craft knife you
could do the same thing, although whether the soles are stiff enough for
effective cycling is your shout.
Old August 30th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1112_]

landotter? wrote:
On Aug 26, 8:20 pm, Pilgrim wrote:
I got these bad ass Frye boots today. They don't fit in my toe-clips
all that well though. They have a bit of a heel on them, so there's
some room where I might be able to bolt a cleat. I've never had a pair
of clipless pedals before. Is it possible to attach the cleats to the
bottom of a shoe not specifically meant for the purpose?

http://tinyurl.com/288unf

It's possible if you're crafty, but recessing the cleat will be
difficult. Just use some rubber block pedals like the rest of the
world uses. Alternately some mtb platforms.

I wish these were SPD compatible:
http://www.sorel.com/Product.aspx?top=1&cat=120&prod=49. Foot
retention is necessary with a BB above seat level, and not being able to
keep my feet warm is by far the limiting factor for me in cold weather
riding.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Old August 31st 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article , "Tom \"Johnny
Sunset\" Sherman" says...

I wish these were SPD compatible:
http://www.sorel.com/Product.aspx?top=1&cat=120&prod=49. Foot
retention is necessary with a BB above seat level, and not being able to
keep my feet warm is by far the limiting factor for me in cold weather
riding.

Should be very simple to convert those to SPDs. T-nuts through
stainless safety insoles inside the shoe, Look-to-SPD adapter on the
outside, use a router to smooth the tread off the sole.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/