Double Butted Spokes

Old August 8th 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Default Double Butted Spokes

wrote:
On Aug 7, 12:57 am, jim beam wrote:
wrote:
On Aug 6, 11:00 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
wrote:
Could it be that the older Asahi made Wheelsmith double-butted spokes
were made by grinding and the newer Wheelsmith spokes made in Cheeseland
are butted by forging? What is the age of the spokes "jim beam" is
examining?
Could both Krygowski and "beam" be right (or would that cause the
Universe to implode)?
Well, this is a detail, but: For jim beam to be right even in that
case, he'd have to change his statement to "the older Wheelsmith
spokes I examined...", rather than a simple blanket statement about
current Wheelsmith spokes, "wheelsmith
grind, then polish." (Note the present tense.)
And of course, we don't have a hint that there was such a change in
process. Except the discrepancy between Wheelsmith's statement and
jim beam's testimony, which many of us have learned not to trust.
- Frank Krygowski

so get with the testing program krygowski - /you/ are the "engineering
professor" - /you/ have access to the facilities!!! idiot.

I do have that access. But I don't have any Wheelsmith spokes. I
prefer DT.

And I'm hardly going to rush off to do an assignment given by a
discredited ex-metallurgist. He can do his own homework.

wow!!! krygowski heads for the hills when there's a barn raising - how
to disgrace your institution and your profession!!!

btw, it would cost you about $2.50 to buy all the parts necessary to
bury the beamster. you'd make that investment if you really thought you
were right. idiot.
Old August 8th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 7, 11:46 pm, jim beam wrote:

wow!!! krygowski heads for the hills when there's a barn raising - how
to disgrace your institution and your profession!!!

btw, it would cost you about $2.50 to buy all the parts necessary to
bury the beamster. you'd make that investment if you really thought you
were right. idiot.

jim beam, you want me to go to the bike shop, buy spokes, take them to
the university, dig into the metallography equipment, cut, polish,
etch, photograph, and analyze in order to defend YOUR position?
ROTFL!

As it stands right now, Wheelsmith says you're wrong about how
Wheelsmith makes spokes. The best evidence is against you. So it's
not me who has to do the work! Do your own homework.

- Frank Krygowski

Old August 8th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
[...]

When the going gets tough.......the GasBag deflates. ;-)

btw, it would cost you about $2.50 to buy all the parts necessary to
bury the beamster. you'd make that investment if you really thought you
were right. idiot.- Hide quoted text -

Old September 1st 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Gig Miller writes:

I recently purchased some Wheelsmith DB14 x 279 mm spokes. The
length of the butted portion on the elbow side was approx 25mm,
while the length of the butted portion on the threaded side was only
3mm above the threads. Is this normal? It seems to me the butted
lengths should be nearly equal.

I believe that occurs because you have a short spoke, most being in
the 300mm+ length and swaging a spoke is a major manufacturing step so
not too many lengths are made from which the various lengths are cut.
At the DT SWISS, the cut is made just before threading and the elbow
is bent last although the spoke head is formed first.

Cutting long finished spokes shorter is the way I have experienced it
in local shops that have a threading machine.

Jobst Brandt

What does "Double-Butted" really mean ? > Australia 7 November 8th 06 03:12 AM
Double-butted spokes translate into softer ride? Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 12 April 25th 06 02:42 AM
butted spokes (?) Techniques 31 September 5th 05 08:46 AM
Frame Builders using Reynolds 6/4 seamless butted Ti [email protected] Techniques 19 April 6th 05 07:00 PM
When did double-butted spokes become common? [email protected] Techniques 30 October 19th 04 07:00 PM