Can't shift into tallest gear

Old September 3rd 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Can't shift into tallest gear

Wondering is someone might have some tech suggestions for an issue I
started having.

Recently, my bike began mis-shifting (2007 Jamis Xenith Comp, 105
shifters, Ultegra derailleur, compact crank, 10 speed), so after a
long ride, I was tooling with the barrel adjuster on the derailleur
when the cable snapped inside the lever.

Got a new cable, installed it, adjusted the derailleur so it's
shifting properly, but no matter if I'm in the big or small chainring,
I can't get the thing to shift onto the smallest cog. When I shift
into the lowest gear, the shifter only shifts 8 times as opposed to
the nine times it should be shifting as I've got 10 cogs in the
cassette.

I'm worried that the end of the cable that snapped, the metal anchor,
is sitting in the lever and not allowing the shift mechanism to hit
all nine shifts. Then again, I really don't know (obviously), although
if the lever won't shift nine times, I'm assuming it's an issue with
the lever and not the derailleur.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Old September 3rd 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 3, 4:55 pm, wrote:
[...]

adjust your H limit screw. (probably)

parktool.com

Old September 4th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davet

On Sep 3, 2:55 pm, wrote:
[...]

Try reading this section on adjusting your rear dérailleur from the
Park Tools website: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64
Follow the directions, in order and step-by-step.

If you were able to install a new cable, the chances are slim there is
any stray piece of your old cable in the shifter. Most likely it's
merely correctly adjusting your dérailleur. Easy-peasy. (that's a
technical term)

Old September 4th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On Sep 3, 3:55 pm, wrote:
[...]

Disconnect the inner wire from the RD, pull on it whilst shifting to
smaller(higher) cogs...making sure the lever is on the 'smallest',
reattach inner wire(Under the bolt, not above), and shift once,
barrell adjuster to center pulley on second cog, shift up...

Old September 5th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 4, 12:17 am, davet wrote:
On Sep 3, 2:55 pm, wrote:

[...]

Sweet. Thanks to everyone.