Leather Sling-Type Saddle: Tension?

Old August 15th 14, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Leather Sling-Type Saddle: Tension?

Coming off a long downtime today, I noticed that my Brooks B-72 wasn't
comfortable. Inspection revealed that the tension bolt had backed
itself out to zero tension..... i.e. the leather was laying on the
frame.

"Ok, tighten it up..."

But how much?

All I can find from Brooks is the admonition, in so many words, to not
go crazy on the tension.

But there is clearly a tradeoff: increased tension gives more comfort
but also increases the tendency to rip the leather out of the rivets.

Does anybody have anything more specific that works for them?

--
Pete Cresswell
Old August 15th 14, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/15/2014 10:23 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Coming off a long downtime today, I noticed that my Brooks B-72 wasn't
comfortable. Inspection revealed that the tension bolt had backed
itself out to zero tension..... i.e. the leather was laying on the
frame.

"Ok, tighten it up..."

But how much?

All I can find from Brooks is the admonition, in so many words, to not
go crazy on the tension.

But there is clearly a tradeoff: increased tension gives more comfort
but also increases the tendency to rip the leather out of the rivets.

Does anybody have anything more specific that works for them?

No.

Don't go crazy is a good general rule. Use your Proofhide
from time to time and keep it out of the wet (to whatever
extent possible). Make it a bit tighter and add more tension
after a ride or two.

One really can stretch the leather or tear out a rivet with
excessive tension.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 15th 14, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, August 15, 2014 4:23:30 PM UTC+1, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Coming off a long downtime today, I noticed that my Brooks B-72 wasn't

comfortable. Inspection revealed that the tension bolt had backed

itself out to zero tension..... i.e. the leather was laying on the

frame.

"Ok, tighten it up..."

But how much?

All I can find from Brooks is the admonition, in so many words, to not

go crazy on the tension.

But there is clearly a tradeoff: increased tension gives more comfort

but also increases the tendency to rip the leather out of the rivets.

Does anybody have anything more specific that works for them?

--

Pete Cresswell

Zero experience of your particular situation. I have the related B-73 (same top, helical spring at each corner, twin rails -- the B-72 is the lightweight version of the B-73) and I rearely adjust the tension, no more than once a year, and never in steps more than 1/8th of turn.

Common sense tells me that if afflicted with your particular problem, I would screw in the bolt only until the saddle top not too closely approaches visual flatness when viewed in profile, try it, and then make very small adjustments until it is right, riding it longer between each adjustment as you get closer.

Also, I wouldn't try for perfection but just for what you had before, and stop there for a good long while.

The worst thing you can do is fiddle with the tension bolt, back and forth every five minutes; that way you'll never finish the job.

Good luck.

Andre Jute
Old August 15th 14, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I found I had to use Loctite on the front adjusting nut in order to prevent it from loosening up again. Something really weird happens when the seat gets way too loose on its rails: It will make you shift your weight without realizing it in a crosswind or during a turn, which will make you change your line without knowing why, and then you'll have to correct for that. Very annoying!
Old August 16th 14, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

what abt tension replicating a 21C saddle's synthetic characteristics ?

adjust so ischial tuberosities slightly dent leather surface then add tension seeking a comfort zone.