Weird Campy Record problems

Old September 12th 16, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Weird Campy Record problems

I was just setting up my like-new Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra and got to installing the derailleurs.

These are circa 2004 Record Triple components.

The very first thing I notices was that the rear inside limit screw was nowhere near enough long. Perhaps I could get a front triple limit screw to work but the one installed is not only correct but if you order another set THEY are the same length as well. The inside limit screw is perhaps 5 mm short. I went up to the hardware store and got one of sufficient length but is doesn't look right on a Record derailleur.

Also upon installing the front braze-on triple derailleur and about to set the limit screws the 53 ring was too large a diameter with the derailleur all the way to the top. I tried another triple looking derailleur on it and it too had the exact same problem.

Now unlike Shimano, Campy doesn't put numbers on their parts so I could have been sold a compact front derailleur rather than a triple. They are almost identical but the leverage is different and they don't rise as rapidly.

Then I remembered I have a Racing T front derailleur and tried that and sure enough it worked.

Here's the problem - I bought these as a group from a guy that pulled them off of a working triple. He too had a C40 so I thought that perhaps the C40 has the braze-on mount placed a bit higher on the seattube.

But upon measuring they are exactly the same down to a 1/16th of an inch. With (if anything) the Eddy a bit higher.

So - is there any way that you know to 1. find the proper length inner limit screw for a rear derailleur? 2. Is there anyway of telling a Compact front derailleur from a Triple unless you try it and it works or not?
Old September 13th 16, 01:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/12/2016 5:27 PM, wrote:
[...]

For 2004 the Record road F changer has the black nylon
insert (or slot for same) on the outside front. Record
Triple Front doesn't, besides which the cage is deeper with
more pronounced shaping of the inside plate.

Your low gear screw issue seems unusual. Get you head behind
the rear changer in high gear. Is the cage vertical, i.e.,
parallel to the chainrings? Failing misalignment, are you
running a Campagnolo hub/cassette or some other parts? Where
I'm going with this is either the changer isn't where it
should be or the low gear isn't.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 13th 16, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 5:29:23 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/12/2016 5:27 PM, wrote:
[...]

I must have had the rear derailleur in some odd position while trying to set the limits though I don't know how. After using the new longer screw it looked far too long. So I removed it and the original screw worked though near it's limit.

I always set the limit screws without any cables so that I can see that there is slightly more motion of the derailleur than the cable pull. Somehow I must have had something flexed in the wrong direction.

As for the front derailleur - standard two gear front derailleurs have almost parallel chain plates. But the Compact two gear front derailleur looks almost identical to a triple with the deep inside chain plate.

The difference between the triple and the compact is the leverage. The compact sets up so that it can just clear a 50 tooth and the triple could clear a 54.

The only think I can think of is that the man who disassembled the triple group had a compact front derailleur laying around and accidentally included it. I took pictures of it and it's pretty plain that the so-called "Record Triple" doesn't not clear a 53 while the "Racing T" does.

It is extremely difficult to tell any difference between these two but if you hold it you can see the mount in a higher position on the Record so that it tops out sooner for a less tooth count large ring.

Campy no longer sells a high end triple but they DO sell a new black Centaur triple group that looks like it was redesigned to work better.

Will Campy hoods for Nuovo Record or Super Record fit on late80s/early 90s levers? seattlerowe Techniques 10 December 6th 09 03:47 PM
circa 2004 Campy Record FD adjustment problems [email protected] Techniques 13 May 12th 09 04:28 AM
weird fixed-gear problems Mike Baranczak Techniques 12 July 14th 06 05:47 PM
Record headset problems Jon Techniques 2 April 15th 04 10:27 PM
Campy Record Rear Shifting Problems - Please help Stefano Maranzana Techniques 10 October 23rd 03 10:56 PM