24 inch Vs. 26 inch

Old January 18th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default 24 inch Vs. 26 inch

would a 26er make much of a difference over a 24er for XC?

--
The Bruiser

lvl 2 unicyclist, im moving up...
The Bruiser's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11352

Old January 19th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Yes, it would, depending of course on what you are focusing on. There
is a much, much larger selection of tires and tubes for 26"; you will
be somewhat faster; and roll over obstacles a little better.

--
U-Turn

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old January 20th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Plenty of threads on this, I'm sure, if you search.

Keeping it fairly simple: given a similar tyre, the 26 is around 8%
bigger, which means around 8% faster on the flat. Muni speeds around
6-8 mph means an extea mile an hour at most.

However, the bigger wheel is less vulnerable to small irregularities in
the ground, and rolls over things more smoothly. Therefore, average
and "journey" speeds are much higher.

On the other hand, the 24 is lighter, and more manoeuvreable.

The 8% will matter on hills. It's like changing a gear on a bicycle.

Various schools of thought: a 24 for hard hoppy droppy MUni, a 29 for
fast cross country. Where does a 26 fit in? Somewhere between?!
Choice of wheel size is dependent on what is available. Maybe the
ideal size is 25 inches, or 27, but you have to choose between 24, 26
or 29 because those are available. Is 26 the ideal compromise, or is
it neither fish nor fowl?

My MUni is a 26. If I replaced it, it would be with a 24 with a fatter
tyre, I think. The fat tyre makes the effective diameter nearer to 26.
But then a fatter tyre on a 26 would make it a bit nearer to a 28!

More tyre choices available for 26 than the other two sizes.

Buy one of each!

--
Mikefule

I don't know where I'm going, but I've got to get there soon

Old January 20th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

The Bruiser wrote:
would a 26er make much of a difference over a 24er for XC?

It really depends on the type of XC you plan to do and the type of
trails you plan to ride. Different areas of the country have different
style of trails and different people have different preferences for how
they ride (aggressive vs. speed). So what's great for me or someone
else may not be what is best for you.

If you like speed, ride buff trails and don't do much hopping to
maneuver on the trail then a 29er would actually be the choice for XC.
If you like more technical riding, rocky or rooty trails, and need to
hop to get over logs then a 24 with a fat tire would be the choice. A
26" XC wheel is kind of the odd size out now. The 24" beats it for
maneuverability and hopability and the 29er beats it for speed. If you
go for a 29er for XC get something with the KH 700c rim. Nothing else
is wide enough to make for a good XC muni wheel.

So it depends on the trails and your riding style. If you do some of
both then get both the 24" with a fat tire and a 29er. Then ride the
one that best fits the ride you want to do that day.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old January 20th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I have a 26" Muni, which I use exclusively for all my Muni/Offroad
stuff, and it's always seemed to me to be a more capable machine than
the 24" I used for the 2 years previously. Maybe its my high strength,
but I can use my much heavier 26 for all the technical stuff I did on
my 24, and on sketchy stuff (wedges between rocks, dropping onto edges,
riding in channels) it performs much better and is much more
predictable. I've got a LM rim on mine, which increases tyre stability
somewhat over a 'standard' 26.

I'm more than happy with mine, and would have no qualms in recommending
a 26 to anyone who wants to do muni. For someone with a lighter build
(I'm 6ft, 190lbs) it might restrict technical maneuverability, but I
think its something you get used to rather than something that holds
you back.

Loose.

--
Loosemoose

Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
Officially a  & ~ expert.

_no1_quote_of_crawley_2005:_
Leigh: "Where's Trevor"
Baz: "I think he's upstairs, balancing The Bishop"
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

Old January 20th 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I have got a 26" muni and think it's great, I find that 24" uni's seem
slow and unstable by comparison.

I definately reccommend 26" as a size for muni, it might be heavier but
it's not an issue unless you are doing insane trials type stuff.

I always wonder why more people don't ride 26's as there is a better
availability of parts and a wider variety of parts. it seems that 24"
became a sort of standard size for uni's at some point in the past so
people are sticking with it for the sake of it.

--
plumsie
plumsie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9800

Old January 20th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I guess 24 has become a "standard" largely because of Kris Holm's
influence. The KH24 seems to be a benchmark Muni. (I say that based
on what I've read here, not on what I've seen.)

Another problem with 24s: pedal strike. Given similar tyre sections
and cranks, on a 26 a rock needs to be an inch higher before your pedal
hits it.

On the other hand, if you choose cranks according to your leg length
and riding style, then the 24 will be lower geared and it makes a real
difference to control on steep downhills.

Old January 20th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I ride a 26x3" muni (with 152mm cranks) and I'm very happy with it. I
do mostly longish fastish cross-country riding, and I've thought about
a 29er a few times. But there are some very rocky sections on the
routes I commonly ride and I'd be afraid of pranging the rim without
the big 3" tyre, although a 29er tyre would probably be fine in
practice. I haven't ridden a 24" muni much so I can't really give a
direct comparison, but my 26" does seem to pull away from people on 24"
wheels quite significantly on anything but steep or technical climbs -
I suppose it goes an extra six inches for every pedal revolution, so
that's pretty noticeable in absolute terms even though it's less than
10%.

So I find the 26" to be a good choice for my riding style, but then I'm
probably somebody who should be riding a 29

Rob

--
rob.northcott

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice

Old January 20th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

rob.northcott wrote:
I do mostly longish fastish cross-country riding...

Ish? The boy says "ish"?

rob.northcott wrote:

So I find the 26" to be a good choice for my riding style, but then I'm
probably somebody who should be riding a 29

Or maybe that 12 that I saw in Nottingham the other day, then I might
keep up with you.

Old January 20th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Mikefule wrote:
Ish? The boy says "ish"?

I was meaning "ish" in comparison to the likes of Joe Marshall. But
thanks for the ego massage

Rob