3/16 Chains?

Old September 3rd 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Default 3/16 Chains?

"Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®" wrote:
I know 3/32 are the derailleur chains (5-6-7-8spd), and 1/8 bmx and

single
speed, but what are the 3/16 chains for? I'm trying to get a

half-link for
a single speed project and not sure if I should get 3/32 or 3/16.

Nate Knutson Wrote:
It is mostly a somewhat past fad in BMX freestyle. The chains are
still out there but most serious riders have turned away from
needlessly or somewhat needlessly overbuilt stuff. Also I don't
believe 3/16 generaly will work on cogs/drivers smaller than 13t,
which are now commonplace. Unless your chain is obviously really
massive and hulking, you don't have a 3/16. They are, you know, about
twice as large as a 3/32.

They're also used on mod trials bikes, but I have no idea what their
popularity level is like currently in that area.

Also note that 3/32 singlespeed chains are widely used for various
singlespeed/internal apps. 3/32 halflinks wouldn't exist otherwise.
And also note that halflinks don't just automatically work well on
every chain in the right general size standard. The inner link
thickness of the chain they're put on must be identical or very close
to the inner link part of the halflink. This could very easily not be
the case if you're putting a 3/32 halflink on a random derailer chain
or a 1/8 halflink on a random funky BMX chain that's technically under
the nominal 1/8 umbrella but is really it's own thing.

But as long as you need a halflink anyway, why not get freaky styley
and just use a halflink chain? $$$

meb wrote:
Wasn't there also the 3/16 X 1 inch chain used with the skip tooth
sprockets-an old standard that died out in the 40s or 50s, or did the
BMX folks adapt the old standard?
Did the BMX folks use the 3/16x1 or 3/16x 1/2?

flatland bikes still use 1/2 x 3/16.
The 1" x 3/16 replaced block chain and is a rare animal nowadays.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old September 3rd 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Nate Knutson wrote
i have no idea about 3/16 x 1. all the bmx 3/16 chains use normal 1/2
inch pitch. someone told me at some point that it started with folks
using chains from some motorized application, but i have no idea how
true that is.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
The 1" pitch stuff was for track use.

Well, yes it lingered on the track. As did steel cranks, steel stems and
other things, merely by trackies' conservatism, after most cyclists
abandoned them. All were once found on regular coaster brake bikes, too
and not all that long ago (50~60 years)

IRD chains? Matt O'Toole Techniques 1 March 30th 06 05:08 PM
Chains Tim Hughs Australia 5 August 3rd 05 12:18 AM
chains, anyone? Ray Peace Australia 6 April 1st 05 10:50 AM
Chains Keith Willoughby UK 63 April 24th 04 11:42 AM
New Chains David Nutter UK 2 September 10th 03 10:17 PM