minnesota bicyclists arrested

Old September 1st 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default minnesota bicyclists arrested

http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html
Old September 1st 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:06:34 -0600, wrote:

http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

[Odd, the link requires a login and password, but somehow I got there
without ever signing up--probably the referring site has some sneaky
trick. Here's the article.]

Police arrested 19 bicyclists, including three juveniles, after a
protest ride took an ugly turn in downtown Minneapolis Friday night.
About 200 bicyclists were riding on La Salle Avenue, with two officers
monitoring the protest that called for reduced reliance on automobile
transportation. The ride was also linked with weekend protests of next
year's Republican National Convention in the Twin Cities.

When officers tried to arrest a rider they felt had been trying to
provoke them, a scuffle broke out, said Minneapolis Police Lt. Marie
Przynski.

"When the officer went to arrest him, his buddy came up, and they
started to struggle with the officer," Przynski said.

A group surrounded the officers, and begin to chant "Let them go!"Then
several people tried to prevent the officers from arresting these
individuals," she said, and a skirmish ensued.

Soon, the two officers were surrounded by about 30 people, and they
issued the call "officer needs help."

That brought 48 officers from six different law enforcement agencies
racing to the scene, where the situation escalated and the officers
used chemical Mace in an attempt to control the crowd, Przynski said.

Police then called in medics to examine people who were sprayed. Some
officers had minor injuries, such as scrapes, but nobody was seriously
injured, said Przynski, the night watch commander.

It was unclear, Przynski said, if the first people arrested were
affiliated with the convention protest group. The lieutenant also said
that a State Patrol helicopter had videotaped part of the event, and
that documentation would be included in what police are now reviewing.

Police said they have had little trouble with recent rallies staged by
Critical Mass, a loosely organized group that opposes society's heavy
use of motor vehicles.

"We've never had a problem with Critical Mass, the rally," she said.
"We agree with them that we need to lessen our dependence on the
automobile. Apparently, they had some infiltrators or outsiders who
joined the rally tonight. And these outsiders were trying to provoke
the officers."

The adults were arrested on suspicion of rioting, a gross misdemeanor

Old September 1st 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
di

wrote in message
[...]

I got to the link w/o any problems

Old September 1st 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:06:34 -0600, in rec.bicycles.tech
wrote:

http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

A friend there said they were "Critical Mass"; I thought that bunch
was defunct.

Put 'em under the jail, I say!

Jones

Old September 1st 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

wrote:

http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

A friend there said they were "Critical Mass"; I thought that bunch
was defunct.

Critical Mass rides happen monthly in dozens of cities. Far from
defunct.

Put 'em under the jail, I say!

While I have doubts about the efficacy of Critical Mass rides in
reducing the car culture, that seems a bit harsh to me.
Old September 1st 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 1, 3:04 pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,

wrote:

http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

A friend there said they were "Critical Mass"; I thought that bunch
was defunct.

Critical Mass rides happen monthly in dozens of cities. Far from
defunct.

Put 'em under the jail, I say!

While I have doubts about the efficacy of Critical Mass rides in
reducing the car culture, that seems a bit harsh to me.

The two Critical Mass rides I tried up in Chicago were the nastiest
cycling events I've ever experienced. If they behaved anything like
those self righteous, and often violent trustafarians--I'm also for
letting them cool their heels in jail. Some of these kids need a
reality check.

Old September 2nd 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

wrote:

http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

A friend there said they were "Critical Mass"; I thought that
bunch was defunct.

Critical Mass rides happen monthly in dozens of cities. Far from
defunct.

Put 'em under the jail, I say!

While I have doubts about the efficacy of Critical Mass rides in
reducing the car culture, that seems a bit harsh to me.

The two Critical Mass rides I tried up in Chicago were the nastiest
cycling events I've ever experienced. If they behaved anything like
those self righteous, and often violent trustafarians--I'm also for
letting them cool their heels in jail. Some of these kids need a
reality check.

Being nasty is not a crime. Being self-righteous is not a crime. Being
a "trustafarian" (which IME is not who is showing up at Critical Mass
rides- they are usually the ones in the SUVs with a cell phone and a Red
Bull and the subwoofer cranked up blasting out rap to show that they are
down with the brothers, fuming while they have to wait for the
procession of mere cyclists) is not a crime although it frequently leads
to poor taste and self-indulgence.

Violence is a crime. Attacking a police officer or interfering with an
arrest is a crime. For that, an arrest and possible prosecution is
appropriate. 48 officers were involved in the arrest of 19 individuals
on "suspicion of rioting" charges, a gross misdemeanor:

"Subdivision 1. Riot first degree. When three or more persons assembled
disturb the public peace by an intentional act or threat of unlawful
force or violence to person or property and a death results, and one of
the persons is armed with a dangerous weapon, that person is guilty of
riot first degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more
than 20 years or to payment of a fine of not more than $35,000, or
both.

"Subd. 2. Riot second degree. When three or more persons assembled
disturb the public peace by an intentional act or threat of unlawful
force or violence to person or property, each participant who is armed
with a dangerous weapon or knows that any other participant is armed
with a dangerous weapon is guilty of riot second degree and may be
sentenced to imprisonment for not more than five years or to payment of
a fine of not more than $10,000, or both.

"Subd. 3. Riot third degree. When three or more persons assembled
disturb the public peace by an intentional act or threat of unlawful
force or violence to person or property, each participant therein is
guilty of riot third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for
not more than one year or to payment of a fine of not more than $1,000,
or both."

If convicted, it could be an expensive Friday evening bike ride. That
might be something of a reality check for them.
Old September 2nd 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:04:19 -0500, in rec.bicycles.tech Tim McNamara
wrote:

wrote:

http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

A friend there said they were "Critical Mass"; I thought that bunch
was defunct.

Critical Mass rides happen monthly in dozens of cities. Far from
defunct.

Put 'em under the jail, I say!

While I have doubts about the efficacy of Critical Mass rides in
reducing the car culture, that seems a bit harsh to me.

Well, essentially Critical Mass (CM) is what's wrong with our social
fabric. It's not about bicycles, it's about civil behavior... the
fact that I believe myself to be a victim does not allow me to
infringe the rights of others. When a CM rider runs a red light and
causes a driver with a clear right of way to slam on his or her
brakes, then the cyclist is wrong.

How did Pogo put it back in '70? "We have met the enemy and he is
us." It's an identical mentality... the only difference is the number
of wheels your vehicle has on the ground, which, IMO, is irrelevant.

Jones... who remains unconvinced but is still listening.

Old September 2nd 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 20:22:36 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech landotter
wrote:

The two Critical Mass rides I tried up in Chicago were the nastiest
cycling events I've ever experienced. If they behaved anything like
those self righteous, and often violent trustafarians--I'm also for
letting them cool their heels in jail. Some of these kids need a
reality check.

My wife and I were riding in Austin, TX when a CM ride passed us. We
dismounted our tandem and walked. And I *agree* with CM's position...
but I will not be associated in any way with their behavior.

Jones

Old September 2nd 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

Quoting a police spokesperson: (clip) "We've never had a problem with
Critical Mass, the rally," she said. "We agree with them that we need to
lessen our dependence on the automobile. Apparently, they had some
infiltrators or outsiders who joined the rally tonight. And these outsiders
were trying to provoke the officers." (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It is refreshing to see that the police have a reasonable approach to what
happened, and do not treat Critical Mass as "the enemy," the way many of the
responders to this thread seem do.

I have very little use for Critical Mass, because their actions are
calculated to create inconvenience, and this increases hostility among the
non-riding public. It evidently creates hostility among riders, as well.
This is no reason to throw them "under the jail."

The adults were arrested on suspicion of rioting, a gross misdemeanor

Do bicyclists ever get arrested for drunk biking?? Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS General 57 September 5th 07 02:07 AM
minnesota events??? unijesse Unicycling 4 September 25th 05 02:27 AM
Rides in Minnesota chrisrange Rides 3 February 16th 05 12:13 PM
Minnesota Ironman KMH215 Rides 5 January 25th 05 03:24 PM
35 bicyclists arrested during monthly ride Jym Dyer Social Issues 3 November 4th 04 04:54 AM