Emacs for over aged hippies?!

Old August 15th 16, 12:15 PM posted to gnu.emacs.help,rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default Emacs for over aged hippies?!

I was in a discussion on rec.bicycles.tech on
the properties of the combination spanner
(combination wrench) but as it happened the
discussion drifted away across the Pacific to
Easter Island, Russian history, and

Word Star, perhaps the most successful of
the early word processes. It was
a monolithic program in assembly language
and ran on the Z-80 processor, on the CP/M
operating system. It was written by a guy
named " John Robbins Barnaby", in four
months. 137,000 lines of assembler code.

To this I wrote:

There is an Emacs mode (built in,
actually): wordstar-mode Command: Major
mode with WordStar-like key bindings.

Is that the same? Sounds like it.

For the real deal tho one would get a Z-80
CP/M emulator to run... or a time machine.

And then I got:

Emacs? Good Lord! I thought you had to be
an over aged hippie to use that :-)

???

- so far: 66 Blogomatic articles -
Old August 15th 16, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

CUT BACK ON THE RUTBAGA
Old August 15th 16, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Causer[_3_]

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 13:15:31 +0200
Emanuel Berg wrote:

Emacs? Good Lord! I thought you had to be
an over aged hippie to use that :-)

Bewa Followup-To setting!

Mike

Old August 15th 16, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

wrote:

Emacs? Good Lord! I thought you had to be
an over aged hippie to use that :-)

Bewa Followup-To setting!

Is that something you typically mention?

If so, sorry, just thought it was more Emacs
than bikes and it would be interesting to see
what the gnu.emacs.help people would say.

Anyway, next time.

- so far: 66 Blogomatic articles -
Old August 15th 16, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/15/2016 4:15 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I was in a discussion on rec.bicycles.tech on
the properties of the combination spanner
(combination wrench) but as it happened the
discussion drifted away across the Pacific to
Easter Island, Russian history, and

Word Star, perhaps the most successful of
the early word processes. It was
a monolithic program in assembly language
and ran on the Z-80 processor, on the CP/M
operating system. It was written by a guy
named " John Robbins Barnaby", in four
months. 137,000 lines of assembler code.

You can still run Wordstar under V-DOS.

Install VDOS https://www.vdos.info/files/20160601/vDosSetup.exe

Install Wordstar
https://winworldpc.com/download/46C67977-18DA-11E4-99E5-7054D21A8599

Not sure how you'd print unless you had a legacy parallel port card in
your system that you could set to the legacy PPT address, as well as a
supported printer.

Old August 17th 16, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

wrote:

Emacs? Good Lord! I thought you had to be an over aged hippie to
use that :-)

Bewa Followup-To setting!

Is that something you typically mention?

If so, sorry, just thought it was more Emacs than bikes and it would
be interesting to see what the gnu.emacs.help people would say.

OK, but you posted this to rec.bicycles.tech, not to gnu.emacs.help...
Hence the warning about the Followup-To: setting
Old August 18th 16, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

When did this site get rededicated as Rec. ****-Wittery. Tech?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 2nd 16, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Tim McNamara wrote:

OK, but you posted this to rec.bicycles.tech,
not to gnu.emacs.help... Hence the warning
about the Followup-To: setting

I posted it to *both* rec.bicycles.tech and
gnu.emacs.help, a so-called crosspost

If there isn't a crosspost, i.e. a second
newsgroup recipient, there is no need to
specify to what newsgroups replies should go
(indeed, the Followup-To header) - is there?

Or "should" - it is a recommendation from the
poster which the newsreader (Gnus in my case)
insists on. Everyone is free to do whatever
they want, including post to whatever newsgroup
they see fit. I guess I was just born that
generous

- so far: 68 Blogomatic articles -