Cyclists waste petrol

Old September 8th 18, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

Default Cyclists waste petrol

On 09/08/2018 12:23 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 19:11:17 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/08/2018 06:51 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
When a cyclist uses a busy road, he slows down all the cars, making them
less efficient, using a lower gear, overtaking, changing speed, etc. So
you *******s aren't green at all.

Around here they just run over the cyclists. If the F350 doesn't get
them the horse trailer will..

I'm becoming a pussy in my old age and really like dedicated bike paths.
Sharing narrow, shoulderless roads with traffic isn't my thing anymore.

Sharing them when there's a cycle path right next to the bloody road is
insanity, yet they all do it around here.

I've seen that. They are usually dressed in gaily colored Lycra to boot.
Personally the further I get from the road on a bicycle the better I
like it. Fortunately there are quite a few paths around here for
recreational riding.
Old September 8th 18, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 22:34:25 +0100, Simon Jester wrote:

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 10:29:22 PM UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 22:16:53 +0100, Simon Jester wrote:

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 10:01:43 PM UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 20:46:05 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 19:47:18 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote

When a cyclist uses a busy road, he slows down all the cars,

Yes.

making them less efficient,

Nope, more efficient.

using a lower gear,

Nope.

The most efficient speed for a car is to travel in top gear at low revs
without causing the engine to splutter,

Hardly anyone drives like that.

When I'm in a bunch of traffic going 40mph, I'm in 5th gear driving economically. Then a cyclist makes us all go 20mph, and I'm in 4th. That uses more.

When I am driving my MODERN car I have no idea what gear I am in.

I agree that all cars should be automatic. But for some reason the UK hasn't caught up with the US in this respect.

But that's irrelevant, even though you don't know what gear you're in, cars do not drive efficiently when they're in a lower gear. Try cycling to your destination without using the higher gears, you'll find you use more energy.

Many cyclist waste energy using too high a gear. The object is to spin the pedals not push down on them.
Shimano Biopace oval chainrings were a joke.

When your cadence is high, you can't put much pressure on the pedals.
Old September 8th 18, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 23:05:26 +0100, Simon Jester wrote:

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 10:34:44 PM UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 22:29:47 +0100, Simon Jester wrote:

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 10:22:58 PM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 20:46:05 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote

When a cyclist uses a busy road, he slows down all the cars,

Yes.

making them less efficient,

Nope, more efficient.

using a lower gear,

Nope.

The most efficient speed for a car is to travel in top gear at low revs
without causing the engine to splutter,

Hardly anyone drives like that.

When I'm in a bunch of traffic going 40mph, I'm in 5th gear driving
economically.

Hardly anyone drives like that.

I drive around town in 3rd and only use 4th in the higher speed limit areas
if in one for a while. Only use 5th gear when in the 100Km or 110Km areas.

I drive around town in D, which means I can keep my hands on the wheel.
I wonder how many young drivers realise what happens when the power steering fails.

Never happens.

So it never happens.

Virtually never.

And when it does (it's happened to me once and very gradually)

But it happened to you.

And it was no problem, I certainly didn't need two hands to operate one control.
Old September 8th 18, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 23:20:05 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/08/2018 12:23 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 19:11:17 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/08/2018 06:51 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
When a cyclist uses a busy road, he slows down all the cars, making them
less efficient, using a lower gear, overtaking, changing speed, etc. So
you *******s aren't green at all.

Around here they just run over the cyclists. If the F350 doesn't get
them the horse trailer will..

I'm becoming a pussy in my old age and really like dedicated bike paths.
Sharing narrow, shoulderless roads with traffic isn't my thing anymore.

Sharing them when there's a cycle path right next to the bloody road is
insanity, yet they all do it around here.

I've seen that. They are usually dressed in gaily colored Lycra to boot.

They're all homosexuals. I wear the same clothes as I would when out walking.

Personally the further I get from the road on a bicycle the better I
like it. Fortunately there are quite a few paths around here for
recreational riding.

Yes, I use a bicycle for being in the countryside. I use a car for being on the road.
Old September 8th 18, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/08/2018 12:24 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 19:19:12 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/08/2018 09:20 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Plenty 4x4s, which you lot call trucks. A truck is actually a lorry and
weighs 50 tonnes fully laden.

If it ain't a Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG 6×6 it ain't a real truck.

Anyone with a BMW or Merc has more money than sense.

I've never been very impressed by them. I did have an Audi once and we
didn't get along well either.

The BMW motorcycle riders tend to be more of the same. The club came
through town and there were several arrests and one fatality iirc. When
the Hells Angels came here on vacation there were many arrests -- all of
local kids protesting the cops treatment of them. The police chief got
fired over that fiasco. Turns out you can't import out of state cops to
swell your ranks in this state.

I wouldn't mind an old RS80 or such but the new BMW bikes are overpriced
and a nightmare to work on.
Old September 8th 18, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
TMS320

On 08/09/18 22:29, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

I agree that all cars should be automatic. But for some reason the UK
hasn't caught up with the US in this respect.

Actually, Europe hasn't caught up with the rest of the world. And to
prove it hasn't a clue it invented the dual clutch.
Old September 8th 18, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
TMS320

On 08/09/18 13:51, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

When a cyclist uses a busy road, he slows down all the cars, making them
less efficient, using a lower gear, overtaking, changing speed, etc.* So
you *******s aren't green at all.

So a cyclist just causes petrol to be used that they would have used had
they gone by car. Except not as much.

Alternatively, with more cars are on the roads you have to wait longer
at junctions. Sitting stationary isn't free.
Old September 9th 18, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Peeler[_2_]

Default lowbrowman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 16:26:33 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

I've never been very impressed by them.

FLUSH yet another load of the usual senile drivel

Is nobody in your old people's home willing to talk to you today again, poor
lonely lowbrowman? I don't wonder why! BG
Old September 9th 18, 12:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

My friend says Audis are good, although the parts are ****ing expensive.

I'd never buy a BMW as they're all rear wheel drive, which is absolute ****e for cornering.

The BMW motorcycle riders tend to be more of the same. The club came
through town and there were several arrests and one fatality iirc. When
the Hells Angels came here on vacation there were many arrests -- all of
local kids protesting the cops treatment of them. The police chief got
fired over that fiasco. Turns out you can't import out of state cops to
swell your ranks in this state.

Why did the pigs arrest them?

Old September 9th 18, 12:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 23:33:39 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

On 08/09/18 22:29, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

I agree that all cars should be automatic. But for some reason the UK
hasn't caught up with the US in this respect.

Actually, Europe hasn't caught up with the rest of the world. And to
prove it hasn't a clue it invented the dual clutch.

Never had one of those, are they a bad thing then? Top Gear seems to like them.

This is what cyclists waste tax payers' money on James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] UK 123 February 12th 17 10:08 PM
Another waste of effort Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 2 September 21st 11 09:56 AM
So here is some total waste Anton Berlin Racing 6 August 4th 09 05:05 AM
Wot a waste [email protected] UK 11 February 28th 08 08:24 AM
Probably a waste of my time but its my time to waste Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 78 January 17th 07 11:30 PM