rekey a kryptonite lock (NY3000)

Old August 5th 05, 03:09 AM
barbie que

Default rekey a kryptonite lock (NY3000)

Like a jackass I lost both keys for a brand new Krypto New York 3000 lock
(not the one you can pick it with a ball pen), and more so I never
registered the keys with Krypto so they can send me replacement keys.
Luckily my beater wasn't locked to it when I lost the keys, but I'd love to
get it rekeyed so I can use the thing I paid good money for. According to
Krypto, they can probably rekey it for $18. However, by the time I ship
this 5-pound puppy and back, I may as well get a new lock. I took it to a
hardware store nearby to see if they could do it and they said, no, but the
dude said some pro key maker can probably do it, but will have to take out
the whole shaft. Anybody ever have experience getting a Kryptonite lock
rekeyed not through Kryptonite? Thanks.

Old August 5th 05, 03:44 AM
Leo Lichtman

"barbie que" wrote: (clip) dude said some pro key maker can probably do it,
but will have to take out the whole shaft. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm not surprised that a hardware clerk couldn't do it. If it's a
conventional flat key, a locksmith should be able to handle it. Making a
key by "impression" takes skill, but does not require the lock to be
disassembled

Old August 5th 05, 11:52 AM
Marvin

barbie que wrote:
Like a jackass I lost both keys for a brand new Krypto New York 3000 lock
(not the one you can pick it with a ball pen), and more so I never
registered the keys with Krypto so they can send me replacement keys.
Luckily my beater wasn't locked to it when I lost the keys, but I'd love to
get it rekeyed so I can use the thing I paid good money for. According to
Krypto, they can probably rekey it for $18. However, by the time I ship
this 5-pound puppy and back, I may as well get a new lock. I took it to a
hardware store nearby to see if they could do it and they said, no, but the
dude said some pro key maker can probably do it, but will have to take out
the whole shaft. Anybody ever have experience getting a Kryptonite lock
rekeyed not through Kryptonite? Thanks.

A really good locksmith might be able to impression a key (basically
make a new one from scratch) without having to remove the innards of
the lock. The NY3000 uses a wafer key which is a swine to pick, I have
no idea how easy or even possible it is to impression those, but it'd
take time and be expensive.

Failing that, they'll have to do what the clerk was talking about and
rekey it - pull the guts out of it and rearrange them so they know what
key to use. That would also be expensive, locksmiths charge like a
wounded rhino at the best of times.

Bottom line, you're gonna have to pay through the nose one way or
another. Find a dedicated locksmith (or two) and ask him about it, and
tell them how much it'd cost for Kryptonite to do it. If they can't
match that, well, chalk this one up to experience and be glad you're
not trying to get the lock off a bike.

Old August 5th 05, 08:03 PM
Leo Lichtman

"barbie que" wrote: (clip) According to Krypto, they can probably rekey it
for $18. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I take it that the number code for re-keying is not on the lock. How do you
suppose Krypto will figure out what key to send you?

Old August 6th 05, 05:33 AM
Werehatrack

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 02:09:09 GMT, "barbie que" wrote:

Like a jackass I lost both keys for a brand new Krypto New York 3000 lock
(not the one you can pick it with a ball pen), and more so I never
registered the keys with Krypto so they can send me replacement keys.
Luckily my beater wasn't locked to it when I lost the keys, but I'd love to
get it rekeyed so I can use the thing I paid good money for. According to
Krypto, they can probably rekey it for $18. However, by the time I ship
this 5-pound puppy and back, I may as well get a new lock. I took it to a
hardware store nearby to see if they could do it and they said, no, but the
dude said some pro key maker can probably do it, but will have to take out
the whole shaft. Anybody ever have experience getting a Kryptonite lock
rekeyed not through Kryptonite?

The new Krypto locks are a bitch to re-key (generally close to
impossible at any reasonable price) from what I have heard. Send it
to Krypto if you want to avoid the embarassment of having to throw the
lock away, or buy a new one if that hurts less. Locksmiths aren't in
the biz to make you happy; they're only in it for the bucks, and
things that take Way Too Long (which this is one of) will cost you
plenty.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.