Opinions on Zoom adjustable quill stems

Old August 28th 04, 07:10 PM
Patrick Lamb

On 25 Aug 2004 11:43:46 -0700, (JBAfromNY) wrote:

I've looking for taller stems with a reach shorter than the current
quill S/R on my ancient road bike, but I'm not exactly sure what the
right measurements should be. An adjustable one like this:

http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...=49&SKU=SM2874

appears to foot the bill.

Before opening the wallet, and going through handlebar extraction hell
with my existing set-up, I'm curious as to whether anyone has used one
of these on a road bike. I'll be using it for commuting (24 mi round
trip, mostly bike paths + streets of variable roughness), errands etc.
around the neighborhood, and occasional longer rides. How does it
hold up? Are the adjustments as simple as they appear to be? Is it
overly flex-y? Are there any alternatives worth looking at? Any
other issues?

I used one for about 3,000 miles (two years), until I stripped a bar
mounting bolt thread on the stem. Partly my fault, I suppose; I
didn't tighten the bolts evenly on a 26 mm bar, and pulled the threads
out of the rear. I'd suggest buying a longer bolt for the front, and
tightening the rear bolt first, to avoid this problem. I made a
couple of adjustments to different heights and reaches; they are
coupled, so adjust first, tighten later.

By then, I knew what I needed, and replaced the Zoom with a Nitto
Technomic.

Pat

Email address works as is.

Old August 30th 04, 04:45 PM
JBAfromNY

Patrick Lamb wrote in message . ..
I used one for about 3,000 miles (two years), until I stripped a bar
mounting bolt thread on the stem. Partly my fault, I suppose; I
didn't tighten the bolts evenly on a 26 mm bar, and pulled the threads
out of the rear. I'd suggest buying a longer bolt for the front, and
tightening the rear bolt first, to avoid this problem. I made a
couple of adjustments to different heights and reaches; they are
coupled, so adjust first, tighten later.

I'm not following which bolts you are describing here. Do you mean
the two bolts that clamp the handlebars onto the stem? On mine, these
are more top/bottom, than front/rear. Or do you mean the bolt used
for tightening the stem in the head tube and the bolt used for
tightening the quill angle adjustment? I installed it this weekend,
and have already fiddled about a bit with height and angle
adjustments. I think I followed the instructions on the package
correctly, and tightened every bolt as tightly as I could.

After a few miles of riding, nothing is slipping. So far, I really
like this thing. The bike is definitely more comfortable than before,
but I can see how I might continue to dial things in a bit. I also
installed some cyclo-cross levers. So far so good with these, too.

By then, I knew what I needed, and replaced the Zoom with a Nitto
Technomic.

I got 12 years out of my last stem -- it isn't broken, I just can't
reach it any more. With luck, I'll get at least that much out of the
new one.

John

Old September 1st 04, 02:09 AM
Patrick Lamb

On 30 Aug 2004 08:45:42 -0700, (JBAfromNY) wrote:

Patrick Lamb wrote in message . ..
I used one for about 3,000 miles (two years), until I stripped a bar
mounting bolt thread on the stem. Partly my fault, I suppose; I
didn't tighten the bolts evenly on a 26 mm bar, and pulled the threads
out of the rear. I'd suggest buying a longer bolt for the front, and
tightening the rear bolt first, to avoid this problem. I made a
couple of adjustments to different heights and reaches; they are
coupled, so adjust first, tighten later.

I'm not following which bolts you are describing here. Do you mean
the two bolts that clamp the handlebars onto the stem? On mine, these
are more top/bottom, than front/rear.

Those are the ones. Interesting, that yours come out top/bottom. The
bolt I call "rear" is the one nearest the vertical part of the stem
that goes into the headset.

Or do you mean the bolt used
for tightening the stem in the head tube and the bolt used for
tightening the quill angle adjustment? I installed it this weekend,
and have already fiddled about a bit with height and angle
adjustments. I think I followed the instructions on the package
correctly, and tightened every bolt as tightly as I could.

After a few miles of riding, nothing is slipping. So far, I really
like this thing. The bike is definitely more comfortable than before,
but I can see how I might continue to dial things in a bit. I also
installed some cyclo-cross levers. So far so good with these, too.

It gave me two years or so of good service. No slips until it
stripped. But do be careful of overtightening those bolts; they're
steel bolts screwed into aluminum, and it is possible to strip the
aluminum. (From sad experience.) And if you start hearing the bars
creaking when you're powering up a hill, double check the stem verrry
carefully.

Pat
Email address works as is.