Dahon stem movement?

Old September 27th 05, 10:16 PM

Default Dahon stem movement?

Have had a D7 now a few weeks and generally quite pleased with it but
have noticed that there is some movement on the handlebar main stem.
Its about 1/4 of inch and the locking mechanism does not click down as
tight. Anyone know if this is normal with usage or should I get it
looked at. Would like to hear from any other owners regard this.

Thanks for any help.

http://piscatorialtimes.blogspot.com/

Old September 28th 05, 11:21 AM
Chris Cowen

wrote:
Have had a D7 now a few weeks and generally quite pleased with it but
have noticed that there is some movement on the handlebar main stem.
Its about 1/4 of inch and the locking mechanism does not click down as
tight. Anyone know if this is normal with usage or should I get it
looked at. Would like to hear from any other owners regard this.

Thanks for any help.

http://piscatorialtimes.blogspot.com/

I have a D5 - and mine came loose the first day - a 30 mile ride, but
you can tighten this joint up. I got the shop to do mine as part of the
first month's free interim service. It tightened up nicely and has been
okay ever since.

I was a bit suspicious at first that it might be just a bit cheaply
made, and thus subject to play, but it's been pretty good and tight ever
since. I am also approaching the weight limit for this bike, and thought
that might be a problem, but so far so good.

I got the Dahon because I wanted a 20" wheel bike for longer rides as
well as the short trips. I would have liked a Brompton, but they were a
little small for me sadly.

Old September 29th 05, 12:20 AM

Thanks Chris for the info, the bike is a few weeks off the first
service and theres a few issues so will let them sort that out.

Once again thanks.

http://piscatorialtimes.blogspot.com/

Old September 29th 05, 09:47 PM
Bek

thepiscator wrote:

Have had a D7 now a few weeks ... but
have noticed that there is some movement on the handlebar main stem.
Its about 1/4 of inch and the locking mechanism does not click down as
tight. Anyone know if this is normal with usage or should I get it
looked at.

It sounds distinctly abnormal, and yes, you should have your dealer look at
the bike.

I ought to draw your attention to a thread on the Dahon discussion forum:
http://www.dahon.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1675
in which I detailed very similar behaviour with my Helios SL. In a
nutshell, the sliding latch block part couldn't tighten the clamp because
the thread which engages with the adjusting bolt had stripped, and there was
no way to tighten it - so the handlebars rocked backwards and forwards and
side to side, and the QR lever didn't really do anything. This happened
within about eight weeks of buying the bike. Dahon replaced the entire
handlepost under warranty and so far it's been fine.

Some owners have alternatively reported the aheadset becoming loose with
fairly similar symptoms. Have a look at:
http://www.dahon.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1784

Side note: you didn't mention which particular D7 you have - but if it's the
Impulse D7, the 'Re-Bar' bit of the frame can have a tendency to load and
unload when you alter your weight on the handlebars, and this flex manifests
itself as forwards and backwards handlebar movement - but not a rattly sort
of movement. Most of the other D7 models use the 'Speed' frame and are
probably a little stiffer in this respect.

Hope this helps!

Becky

Old September 30th 05, 10:06 AM

Becky,
Thanks for the excellent information this was most helpful. My bike is
the Speed 7 and about a month old. Currently in the locker at work I
think I will collect it next week and take it back to the dealer. The
gears arent up to much either, clonky and slow to change so I hope to
get these problems ironed out.

Thanks for the links as well.

Regards

The Piscator.
http://piscatorialtimes.blogspot.com/

Movement in stem DRS Techniques 7 March 23rd 04 11:17 AM
FA: Cinelli 1A Road Stem - 80mm The Ink Company Marketplace 0 November 1st 03 10:01 PM
Threaded versus threadless headset Hjalmar Duklęt Techniques 93 August 28th 03 07:43 AM
FS/T: 3T Zepp bar, Zepp XL stem, cippo stem. Jeff Marketplace 0 August 17th 03 02:18 AM