Subway Bike.

Old May 2nd 08, 04:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
G-S

Default Subway Bike.

I don't know where it got to, or why it took so long but the Subway bike
we sent coupons and $ in for ages ago has finally arrived.

We were thinking it would do nicely to fit to the TranzX indoor trainer
thingy, and that way we can leave our 2 Giants for riding on the (few)
nice days during winter.

Is there anything obvious I should be aware of before I dive in and try
and assemble this bike?

I've never put a push bike together before.

Comments welcome :-)

G-S
Old May 2nd 08, 06:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

G-S wrote:
I don't know where it got to, or why it took so long but the Subway bike
we sent coupons and $ in for ages ago has finally arrived.

We were thinking it would do nicely to fit to the TranzX indoor trainer
thingy, and that way we can leave our 2 Giants for riding on the (few)
nice days during winter.

Is there anything obvious I should be aware of before I dive in and try
and assemble this bike?

I've never put a push bike together before.

Comments welcome :-)

RTFM - so far as I recall it was reasonably comprehensive.

Left-side pedals have left-handed threads.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com

Also, you might have to true up the front wheel if the box has been
mishandled as badly as mine was.

I assume I won't be seeing you tomorrow then? ;-)

BTH
Old May 2nd 08, 11:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Fulliautomatix

G-S wrote:
I don't know where it got to, or why it took so long but the Subway bike
we sent coupons and $ in for ages ago has finally arrived.

We were thinking it would do nicely to fit to the TranzX indoor trainer
thingy, and that way we can leave our 2 Giants for riding on the (few)
nice days during winter.

Is there anything obvious I should be aware of before I dive in and try
and assemble this bike?

I've never put a push bike together before.

Comments welcome :-)

G-S

If you know which end of the shifter to bash things with........
Old May 2nd 08, 12:39 PM posted to aus.bicycle
G-S

BT Humble wrote:
G-S wrote:
I don't know where it got to, or why it took so long but the Subway bike
we sent coupons and $ in for ages ago has finally arrived.

We were thinking it would do nicely to fit to the TranzX indoor trainer
thingy, and that way we can leave our 2 Giants for riding on the (few)
nice days during winter.

Is there anything obvious I should be aware of before I dive in and try
and assemble this bike?

I've never put a push bike together before.

Comments welcome :-)

RTFM - so far as I recall it was reasonably comprehensive.

Evidently they ran out of the original Subway bikes, and then had to
source some others. Not sure how different they are to the originals,
but this one is blue/silver.

Left-side pedals have left-handed threads.

Yup I know about the pedal/thread thing but ta.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com

I suspect I'll need Sheldons site!

Also, you might have to true up the front wheel if the box has been
mishandled as badly as mine was.

The box has dings and gouges all over it... I don't know who they used
for couriers but if I had to guess I'd say "the dodgy brothers".

I assume I won't be seeing you tomorrow then? ;-)

The unaugural is this weekend?

I thought it was next weekend...

err no... not this weekend you won't *piking noises*

G-S

Old May 2nd 08, 12:40 PM posted to aus.bicycle
G-S

Fulliautomatix wrote:
G-S wrote:
I don't know where it got to, or why it took so long but the Subway
bike we sent coupons and $ in for ages ago has finally arrived.

We were thinking it would do nicely to fit to the TranzX indoor
trainer thingy, and that way we can leave our 2 Giants for riding on
the (few) nice days during winter.

Is there anything obvious I should be aware of before I dive in and
try and assemble this bike?

I've never put a push bike together before.

Comments welcome :-)

G-S

If you know which end of the shifter to bash things with........

We have an apprentice at work...
aren't they there for bashing things with?

Don't have one at home!

G-S
Old May 3rd 08, 09:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
G-S

BT Humble wrote:
G-S wrote:
I don't know where it got to, or why it took so long but the Subway bike
we sent coupons and $ in for ages ago has finally arrived.

We were thinking it would do nicely to fit to the TranzX indoor trainer
thingy, and that way we can leave our 2 Giants for riding on the (few)
nice days during winter.

Is there anything obvious I should be aware of before I dive in and try
and assemble this bike?

I've never put a push bike together before.

Comments welcome :-)

RTFM - so far as I recall it was reasonably comprehensive.

Left-side pedals have left-handed threads.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com

Also, you might have to true up the front wheel if the box has been
mishandled as badly as mine was.

I assume I won't be seeing you tomorrow then? ;-)

Well the subway bike is together (finally... it took most of the day to
get it feeling mostly right).

The front de-railer still needs some minor tweaking but it's working ok,
the rear de-railer is working well.

The rear brake is good the front is ok.

The seat is the most uncomfortable plank I've ever had the misfortune to
sit on!

Because they ran out of the original subway bikes this one is a generic
blue/silver repco version (quite nice colours too).

The rear wheel is quite true, the front one isn't perfect but it's not
bad (given the bashing the box took getting here).

No it doesn't feel as nice as the 2 Giants here, but it's *much* more
usable than that awful dual suspension cheapy Jodie bought before we got
the pair of Giants, and it never hurts to have another bike

G-S (pleasantly surprised).