Need recomendations for a hybrid bike ($400 range)

Old August 30th 04, 10:48 PM
General Schvantzkoph

Default Need recomendations for a hybrid bike ($400 range)

I'm looking for a mid priced hybrid bike and I'd like some recomendations.
The only one I've tried so far is a Trek 7200 FX. It seemed to be pretty
decent but the last time a bought a bicycle Nixon was president so I'm
not at all familiar with the current state of the art. What should I be
looking for. I'll be using it primarily on roads and occasional paths but
never on unpaved trails. I live in a hilly area so that's a consideration.
What are the best bikes in the $400 range (+/- $100). I've tried the Trek
7200 FX, I see from their website that there is a slightly more expensive
model, the 7300 FX, what are it's advantages over the 7200?. What other
bicycles are in this class and what are their various advantages and
disadvantages?.

Thanks,

Old August 31st 04, 07:43 AM
WTD

General Schvantzkoph wrote in message ...
I'm looking for a mid priced hybrid bike and I'd like some recomendations.
The only one I've tried so far is a Trek 7200 FX. It seemed to be pretty
decent but the last time a bought a bicycle Nixon was president so I'm
not at all familiar with the current state of the art. What should I be
looking for. I'll be using it primarily on roads and occasional paths but
never on unpaved trails. I live in a hilly area so that's a consideration.
What are the best bikes in the $400 range (+/- $100). I've tried the Trek
7200 FX, I see from their website that there is a slightly more expensive
model, the 7300 FX, what are it's advantages over the 7200?. What other
bicycles are in this class and what are their various advantages and
disadvantages?.

Thanks,

The Treks are a good example of what you get in your price range,
which is not bad. Other examples might be Specialized
Crossroads/Expedition, and Giant Cypress, all of which come in various
trim levels. For $400 you get a decent if not light frame and
respectable entry level components. Dropping much into the sub-$400
range can get you into hi-tensile steel frames (vs CroMo or aluminium)
which are to be avoided, and components that are probably marginal if
you are going to use the bike much. As far as the differences between
the 7200 and the 7300, the extra $ buys you slightly better wheels,
derailleurs, etc, with better being lighter and possibly improved
durability and/or operation. The same progression would apply to the
Specialized, Giant, or other major brand hybrid line. If you are
willing to spend $500 vs $400, I would do it if I were you, as in this
price range you are nowhere near the point of diminishing returns on
component quality, but frankly even entry level major brand bikes tend
to work pretty well if they are well adjusted. But to repeat the
broken record heard often around here, the most important thing is
proper fit and how the bike feels. Bikes in a given price range are
all going to look remarkably similar on paper but they will not feel
the same to you when you ride them. Test ride as many as you can, and
one of them will speak to you.

Old August 31st 04, 03:33 PM
DJA

on 8/30/2004 5:48 PM General Schvantzkoph said the following:

I'm looking for a mid priced hybrid bike and I'd like some recomendations.
The only one I've tried so far is a Trek 7200 FX. It seemed to be pretty
decent but the last time a bought a bicycle Nixon was president so I'm
not at all familiar with the current state of the art. What should I be
looking for. I'll be using it primarily on roads and occasional paths but
never on unpaved trails. I live in a hilly area so that's a consideration.
What are the best bikes in the $400 range (+/- $100). I've tried the Trek
7200 FX, I see from their website that there is a slightly more expensive
model, the 7300 FX, what are it's advantages over the 7200?. What other
bicycles are in this class and what are their various advantages and
disadvantages?.

Thanks,

If you like Trek, look at Gary Fisher. I believe Fisher bikes are made
by Trek and you may find a slightly different setup for similar cost.

I have a 2001 Nirvana that I like very much.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/ser...eries=citypath

--
David
dja--dot--mail--at--comcast--dot--net

Old August 31st 04, 04:23 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:43:10 -0700, WTD wrote:

[...]

If you were to buy a $500 bike, which one would you get?

Old September 1st 04, 07:16 AM
WTD

If you were to buy a $500 bike, which one would you get?

Not having ridden the current models I would be hard pressed to say.
As I said, you will have to ride them and pick the one that feels
"right". Years back when I bought a hybrid I was faced with a similar
decision at a similar price point. I settled on a particlular
Diamondback that just seemed to have the nicest ride, e.g. stability,
road feel, mojo, whatever, despite the fact that I was initially
inclined to get a more recognizable brand name like Trek or
Specialized. The differences in the way similar bikes feel are
primarlily attributable to the frames and forks - the components
usually have little to do with it. You will be buying a stock bike
that comes in stock sizes. It will turn out that certain stock
sizes/geometries from certain manufacturers will fit you better than
others. A good bike shop can help you determine the right size, but
the final decision is subjective and entirely yours. A $300 bike that
really fits will always beat a $500 one that doesn't.

But to answer the $500 question more directly, it seems after
consideration it may be better to stick in the mid $400's unless you
can spend much more for something like a Trek 7500FX or a Cannondale
Road Warrior. It seems that many companies have decided to add "urban"
type suspension forks to their hybrids as you go up in price. To me
this is a negative as I don't think these forks are needed or warrant
the added weight. Trek at least offers their hybrids with both rigid
and suspension fork options, but more other compines don't. Having
said that, you should try the suspension models anyway. You might like
one.
Old September 1st 04, 07:16 AM
WTD

[...]

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Advice to a wannabe commuter (long) [Not Responding] UK 4 January 15th 04 10:25 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM