Why didn't they wait for Beloki?

Old July 21st 03, 10:08 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

Default Why didn't they wait for Beloki?

wrote in message
ws.com...
Here's a LA quote from today:

"Armstrong was aware that Ullrich didn't attack when he crashed,
saying "the fact of the matter is that I did the same two years ago on
the descent of the Col de Peyresourde. I was with a few guys and said
'look, we can't race until we know (Ullrich) is ok, if he's back in
the race. "

He didn't stop to see if Beloki was ok?

They quit riding hard. It was on a descent. Vinokourov's gap (he was off the
front) went up by 25 seconds after the crash in a space of 4 km - he only
had 10 seconds advantage at the time of the crash.

So, no, Beloki was not treated differently.

Old July 21st 03, 10:18 PM
User968758

He didn't stop to see if Beloki was ok? Neither did anyone else.
Ullrich didn't have the yellow when Lance waited for him so why didn't
anyone wait to see how Beloki was?

Excellent question.
Old July 21st 03, 10:19 PM
User968758

They quit riding hard. It was on a descent. Vinokourov's gap (he was off the
front) went up by 25 seconds after the crash in a space of 4 km - he only
had 10 seconds advantage at the time of the crash.

So, no, Beloki was not treated differently.

I think they were just waiting for Lance to rejoin properly.

Old July 21st 03, 10:37 PM
Alex Beascoechea

The dots I can connect are your previous messages that you are now
contradicting. Bravo!

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message ...

"Alex Beascoechea" wrote in message
And as soon as he picked up he said "C'mon guys what are you waiting

for?
am all right!

Vinokourov gained another 20-25 seconds after the crash.

It was downhill, he was alone, the chase had a group.

Even you can connect those dots.

Old July 21st 03, 10:38 PM
Antti Salonen

User968758 wrote:

He didn't stop to see if Beloki was ok? Neither did anyone else.
Ullrich didn't have the yellow when Lance waited for him so why didn't
anyone wait to see how Beloki was?

Excellent question.

And one that has already been answered in this forum. Vinokourov was on
attack when Beloki went down. Vinokourov had attacked in the previous
ascent and wasn't going to stop his attack (nor was he expected to or
supposed to). You don't attack when a key player goes down and might be
able to continue reasonably quickly, but in Beloki's case the whole
scenario was different and more complex.

-as
Old July 21st 03, 11:10 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Alex Beascoechea" wrote in message
The dots I can connect are your previous messages that you are now
contradicting. Bravo!

I'm not contradicting at all. Vinokourov gained and extra 20-25 seconds
after the crash. On a downhill finish, if the group was chasing, that would
not have happened in the last 4k of a race.

Please show where I contradict myself.

Dumbass.

Old July 21st 03, 11:20 PM
David Ryan

DanSchmatz wrote:

From what I heard the sounds he made as he hit/slid across the pavement were
indication that he wouldn't be riding anymore that day.

At any rate, they would have known the situation by radio in a minute or so.
Old July 21st 03, 11:29 PM
Bird

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:20:52 GMT, David Ryan
wrote:

DanSchmatz wrote:

From what I heard the sounds he made as he hit/slid across the pavement were
indication that he wouldn't be riding anymore that day.

At any rate, they would have known the situation by radio in a minute or so.

a minute or so? I dont think they will wait a few minutes to hear if
they're alowed to continue the race

Two years ago, Armstrong waited for Ullrich, just for a few seconds,
to let him catch up. Today, Ullrich did the same.

If Armstrong had fallen seriously, or if he'd broken his bis in two
parts, Ullrich wouldn't wait for him.

Groet,
Arne Vogel