Scattante 2003 CFR Carbon - Opinions??

Old January 2nd 04, 05:58 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Scattante 2003 CFR Carbon - Opinions??

For $1,599, they look like an incredible deal for a full carbon
frame/fork, full Ultegra groupo, and Shimano R540 Wheelset. I've had
good experiences buying from Supergo and am not a euro-bike brand
snob. I'm an intermediate road cyclist and mountain biker and weigh
approx 145lbs.

Best bet would be to ride one and see how well you can make it fit, not to
mention how it handles. The pricing is only $400 less than a new TREK
full-carbon bike that will make its debut around the end of January, with
the same frame as the 5200.

There's no difficulty building a cheap carbon bike; the trick is to build
one that handles well and is very durable.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Zuke" wrote in message
Hey All,

I'm looking to finally replace my 16 year old road bike with a
Scattante 2003 CFR Carbon w/ triple Ultegra from Supergo. Anyone have
any first-hand experience with these bikes?

For $1,599, they look like an incredible deal for a full carbon
frame/fork, full Ultegra groupo, and Shimano R540 Wheelset. I've had
good experiences buying from Supergo and am not a euro-bike brand
snob. I'm an intermediate road cyclist and mountain biker and weigh
approx 145lbs.

Thanks for any helpful input!
-Zuke

Old January 2nd 04, 08:26 PM
Tom Kunich

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
For $1,599, they look like an incredible deal for a full carbon
frame/fork, full Ultegra groupo, and Shimano R540 Wheelset. I've

had
good experiences buying from Supergo and am not a euro-bike brand
snob. I'm an intermediate road cyclist and mountain biker and

weigh
approx 145lbs.

Best bet would be to ride one and see how well you can make it fit,

not to
mention how it handles. The pricing is only $400 less than a new

TREK
full-carbon bike that will make its debut around the end of January,

with
the same frame as the 5200.

There's no difficulty building a cheap carbon bike; the trick is to

build
one that handles well and is very durable.

Actually I would advise this route. There's a guy in the club that has
a carbon bike that looks just like that Scantante (it might not be
mind you) with some other off-brand name on it. It isn't a bad bike
but neither is it anywhere near as good as a Trek.

Old January 3rd 04, 02:31 AM
Jenny

"Tom Kunich" wrote in news:hukJb.16425$lo3.6711
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:
Actually I would advise this route. There's a guy in the club that has
a carbon bike that looks just like that Scantante (it might not be
mind you) with some other off-brand name on it. It isn't a bad bike
but neither is it anywhere near as good as a Trek.

What are the differences?
Old January 3rd 04, 02:52 AM
bfd

"Jenny" wrote in message
"Tom Kunich" wrote in news:hukJb.16425$lo3.6711
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:
Actually I would advise this route. There's a guy in the club that has
a carbon bike that looks just like that Scantante (it might not be
mind you) with some other off-brand name on it. It isn't a bad bike
but neither is it anywhere near as good as a Trek.

What are the differences?

If nothing else, one difference might be the warranty. I don't know what
the warranty is on a *Scanttante* or any other Taiwanese-made carbon frame,
but Trek has arguably one of the BEST warranties around - Lifetime to the
original owner. At the very least, I would test ride an OCLV and see which
one fits you the best....

Old January 3rd 04, 06:40 AM
Kenny Lee

:

Actually I would advise this route. There's a guy in the club that has
a carbon bike that looks just like that Scantante (it might not be
mind you) with some other off-brand name on it. It isn't a bad bike
but neither is it anywhere near as good as a Trek.

What are the differences?

If nothing else, one difference might be the warranty. I don't know what
the warranty is on a *Scanttante* or any other Taiwanese-made carbon frame,
but Trek has arguably one of the BEST warranties around - Lifetime to the
original owner. At the very least, I would test ride an OCLV and see which
one fits you the best....

In total agreement.

Kenny Lee
Old January 3rd 04, 11:43 PM
Tom Kunich

"Jenny" wrote in message
"Tom Kunich" wrote in

@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:
Actually I would advise this route. There's a guy in the club that

has
a carbon bike that looks just like that Scantante (it might not be
mind you) with some other off-brand name on it. It isn't a bad

bike
but neither is it anywhere near as good as a Trek.

What are the differences?

In order to make the bike reliable they tend to overbuild them by a
considerable margin. And since the layups aren't anywhere near as
tight as the Trek believe me, you WANT them overbuilt.

However, the result of all of this is that the bike is so stiff
normally that it still rings like a metal bike and there isn't any
weight advantage from going to carbon fiber.

Now none of these are bad things, but if you're looking to move UP to
a carbon fiber bike you might as well move up and not sideways.

Old January 7th 04, 09:30 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Guys, thanks for the discussion. Some food for thought for sure. I
think I'll be heading down to Los Angeles this week and try out both
bikes at a Supergo store down there...

I don't believe any Supergo shops sell TREK, but I think that Helen's
Cyclery (which does sell TREK) isn't too far away from a Supergo.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

"Zuke" wrote in message
Guys, thanks for the discussion. Some food for thought for sure. I
think I'll be heading down to Los Angeles this week and try out both
bikes at a Supergo store down there...

Once upon a time, on Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:43:06 GMT, "Tom Kunich"
scribed:

"Jenny" wrote in message
"Tom Kunich" wrote in