$99 700c department-store road bikes!!!

Old April 3rd 05, 06:54 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Default $99 700c department-store road bikes!!!

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb1.jpg
http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb2.jpg
http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb3.jpg

These were three pics I took with my phone camera. I happened to see these
for a very quick second at the Target store in the Carrollwood area in
Tampa, FL.

Drop bars, aero brake levers, stem-mounted shifters (dunno if indexed or
friction), 700c wheels (unconfirmed), and an aero fork. Frame material
unknown. Women's style was $99.99. Not sure about the men's price.
Quality seems to be slightly better than the average junker bike being sold
there.

Target denotes frame size by the approximate wheel size "appropriateness" -
20" for adolescents, 24" for early teens, 26" for late teens and adults,
hence the incorrectness.

This is a big breakthrough in bikes... I'm elated to see road bikes that are
affordable for the recreational rider. And before someone says "That's a
bike-shaped object!" I'd like to point out that this will only ramp up the
interest in road bikes, since when they come in with those bikes, we can
point out the differences between those bikes and our bikes. Think of it as
a $99 coupon for an entry level bike at an LBS.

Any thoughts?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 3rd 05, 07:17 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
[...]

By the way, Fogel, if you can find one, you have a new assignment.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 3rd 05, 07:25 PM
Ken

More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
And my homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Interesting, I haven't seen "road bikes" in the dept stores in a while. I
might have to take a ride to the local Target and check them out. The
K-Sears and the Wal-Marts down here in the Sarasota FL area only seem to
have the MTB/ATB and the comfort cruisers for adults and the MTB/ATB and the
BMX bikes for the kiddies. While the price is very low, I would expect the
quality to be pretty low also. But like you say it may increase the
interests in roadies again.

Ken

Old April 3rd 05, 07:53 PM
JeffWills

Any thoughts?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Yup, I have thoughts. But let's not go there.

Here's my addendum: a couple friends of mine found road bikes at Toys
'R' Us for $99. They were decent enough- aluminum frames, Shimano Sora
components, aluminum rims. They bought several once they determined
that the bikes were size-appropriate (one size fits all... hah!).

They rode them quite a bit, once the bikes were adjusted and the
lowest-possible-price bottom brackets and headsets were replaced. Both
the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
bearings.

I recall that one was entered in the local cyclocross series. It even
survived the series and has been used as a parts donor for other
projects.

Jeff

Old April 3rd 05, 08:30 PM
frank-in-toronto

On 3 Apr 2005 11:53:17 -0700, "JeffWills" wrote:
. Both
the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
bearings.

is this true? or are you exagerrating for effect?
....thehick
Old April 3rd 05, 09:20 PM
Ken

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in
message ...
http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb1.jpg
http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb2.jpg
http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rb3.jpg

These were three pics I took with my phone camera. I happened to see

these
for a very quick second at the Target store in the Carrollwood area in
Tampa, FL.

Alas, it must be a regional deal, related to the laws of "demand & supply" ,
up there in the Tampa region, more riders demand road bikes and target feels
the need to supply a few, but down here in the woods of Sarasota county
Florida there are NO road bikes at the target stores. I just got back from a
quick ride over there to check on this and none were to be had there.

Ken "out in the woods" roadie rider.

Old April 3rd 05, 10:30 PM
Hal

"frank-in-toronto" wrote in message
On 3 Apr 2005 11:53:17 -0700, "JeffWills" wrote:
. Both
the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
bearings.

is this true? or are you exagerrating for effect?
...thehick

I wouldn't be at all surprised. I recently "rebuilt" a Wal-Mart kids bike
(16" BMX-style) that had been rusting in the back yard since my older
children had outgrown it. Ultimately, nothing was left apart from the
frame. I was astonished to discover that the BB and HS were nothing more
than nylon bushings. After giving the frame a nifty spray-can paint job,
replacing the HS with a cheap but durable steel set, swapping out the BB and
crankarm (along with its tack-welded stamped-steel chainwheel), chain, stem,
bars, saddle, and tires, I ended up with a nice and durable little bike
that's a favorite of visiting kids.

I used mostly new parts -- inexpensive Pyramid-brand HS, BB, crank, and
chainwheel, and the total cost of the project was around $50 or so. More
than I paid for the bike in the first place!

Old April 3rd 05, 10:40 PM
JeffWills

frank-in-toronto wrote:
On 3 Apr 2005 11:53:17 -0700, "JeffWills"

. Both
the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with

no
bearings.

is this true? or are you exagerrating for effect?
...thehick

If I'd been exaggerating, I would've said they were made out of cheese.

I didn't see the items myself, but that's how they were described to
me. You can trust that as far as you wish.

Jeff

Old April 4th 05, 03:03 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:30:52 -0400, frank-in-toronto wrote:

On 3 Apr 2005 11:53:17 -0700, "JeffWills" wrote:
. Both
the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
bearings.

is this true? or are you exagerrating for effect?

Quite possible. I recall there being a solid nylon bearing on some brand
of headset from the mid-to-late '70s. It wasn't really great, but it
worked, since the headset did not have to move much. The "bearing" was a
nylon doughnut that fit in where the ball bearings would be. Add some
grease and it'll work.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. --
_`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

Old April 4th 05, 04:22 AM
Dan

"frank-in-toronto" wrote in message
On 3 Apr 2005 11:53:17 -0700, "JeffWills" wrote:
. Both
the headset and BB appeared to be made out of machined plastic, with no
bearings.

is this true? or are you exagerrating for effect?
...thehick

20 some years ago I designed and built fatigue test fixtures using Teflon
bushings. I used them where the amount of motion was very small and keeping
a bushing lubricated proved impossible. They are also used for tie rod ends
and sway arms in cars for this reason. As I recall, we typically used no
lubricant and the tech sheet that came with the bushings said that
lubrication was only required of you wanted to prevent corrosion of parts
other than the bushing. The only disadvantage that I recall was the low load
capacity when compared to traditional bushing material. We were working with
loads in the 20 kip range so this load limitation may not be a problem in
bicycles. I would think that a properly selected "plastic" bushing would
work fine as a low maintenance bicycle bushing though not as well as a
roller or ball bearing.

I doubt that a $99 bike has good quality bushings though.