$99 700c department-store road bikes!!!

Old April 8th 05, 01:56 PM
Peter Cole

Ken wrote:

Well I am a recycle it kind of person, and am always on the lookout

for a
"good" frame, they are pretty hard to find! But sometimes I find

something
that isn't horrible, my latest save, is a 75'ish "western flyer" all

steel,
brazed, non lugged frame. Every thing that was on it worked

perfectly. All I
had to do was tear it down clean and relube everything, replace

chain, brake
pads, bar tape and a better saddle. Total cost of project $15.00 and

now
have ridden this bike about 400 to 500 miles and it rides great. SO a
recycled ride can be good.

You got a chain, pads, bar tape and saddle for $15? Where do you shop?

Old April 8th 05, 02:14 PM
Ken

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ken wrote:

Well I am a recycle it kind of person, and am always on the lookout

for a
"good" frame, they are pretty hard to find! But sometimes I find

something
that isn't horrible, my latest save, is a 75'ish "western flyer" all

steel,
brazed, non lugged frame. Every thing that was on it worked

perfectly. All I
had to do was tear it down clean and relube everything, replace

chain, brake
pads, bar tape and a better saddle. Total cost of project $15.00 and

now
have ridden this bike about 400 to 500 miles and it rides great. SO a
recycled ride can be good.

You got a chain, pads, bar tape and saddle for $15? Where do you shop?

Laughing, okay, well it might have been more like $17.00 , but I got the
chain, the bar tape, and pads from nashbar, they were returns, and the
saddle I got at the LBS for $7.50 it came off a new bike they sold where
the customer wanted an immediate upgrade. And the stuff from nashbar was the
expensive stuff, but even still it was under $20.

Old April 8th 05, 02:51 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

4) patience. In four years of serious scavenging, I have probably
scored major garage-sale/dumpster/trash hits about six times. I have
pulled semi-useful bits from the trash maybe another 5-10 times. I
have probably checked out at least a hundred garage sales in that

Holy crap! Who has that kind of time??? That's once every two weeks! Not
owning a cargo-carrying vehicle makes it very difficult, too.

time, and look at pretty much every trash heap I pass by. And note
that I live in a city with a very strong outdoor-sports culture and a
reasonably strong cycling culture.

I live in a town that has a very strong beer culture and a reasonably strong
ambulance-ride-to-the-hospital-culture.

50 cm stuff is, by the nature of the bell curve, going to be rare.
Like bike racing itself, performance in finding garage-sale stuff
that fits you is partly a genetic thing. Have you considered growing?

Shucks... now that you mention it, I haven't concentrated too much on that.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 8th 05, 03:51 PM

Woolmort has one view of the ongoing invasion-
design.
as the onslaught continues and the chinese gain mental momemtum
subtle asian design creeps into the mid west product lines
nice bowls!! organic chinese
check the desk lamp. pure 2000 toyo pre Brock
godzilla!

Old April 8th 05, 04:10 PM
Ken

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in
message ...
4) patience. In four years of serious scavenging, I have probably
scored major garage-sale/dumpster/trash hits about six times. I have
pulled semi-useful bits from the trash maybe another 5-10 times. I
have probably checked out at least a hundred garage sales in that

Holy crap! Who has that kind of time??? That's once every two weeks! Not
owning a cargo-carrying vehicle makes it very difficult, too.

Well I work from home, so time is not an issue.

time, and look at pretty much every trash heap I pass by. And note
that I live in a city with a very strong outdoor-sports culture and a
reasonably strong cycling culture.

I live in a town that has a very strong beer culture and a reasonably

strong
ambulance-ride-to-the-hospital-culture.

I live in a retirement town, so not too many road bike riding residents.
There are a couple, but most prefer cruisers.

50 cm stuff is, by the nature of the bell curve, going to be rare.
Like bike racing itself, performance in finding garage-sale stuff
that fits you is partly a genetic thing. Have you considered growing?

Shucks... now that you mention it, I haven't concentrated too much on

that.

50cm is pretty rare, I have a 54 cm frame, and that is about the smallest I
have found, 56 is much more common. Growing? Are you still growing, if you
are you must be a teenie bopper.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 8th 05, 07:50 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Ken wrote:
"Phil, Squid-in-Training"
wrote in message ...
[...]

I hit my max height of 5'5" in early high school. I forgot the smiley in my
post before this one.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 8th 05, 08:39 PM
Ken

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in
message ...
Ken wrote:
"Phil, Squid-in-Training"
wrote in message ...
[...]

And you want a 50cm frame? I am only 5'7" and a 54 is a good fit for me, 56
is okay too, but it is a bit of a stretch.
Ken

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training