Unicycling in Wash DC?

Old August 11th 05, 09:32 PM
Arnold family

Default Unicycling in Wash DC?

Hi all,
Has anyone used their unicycle while sightseeing in Washington,
D.C.? Scott's got a conference for work and the hotel is close to
the White House. (We'll be at the JW Marriott and then the Hotel
Washington.) I'm wondering how practical it would be to unicycle (on my
20" or 24") down to the Capitol (1-2 miles away) and the Smithsonian
museums and memorials?
I'm not a super rider, but unicycling is easier than walking. I can't
idle but I can ride pretty slowly. I would choose a sidewalk over a bike
lane if there's a lot of traffic, but if the sidewalk was solid people then
it would be hopeless.
Are there bike racks in the tourist areas? Are cyclists permitted on the
Mall?

TIA,

Jody in Oregon

Old August 11th 05, 09:53 PM
mucRider

I don't know about bike racks or bicycles on the mall but it seems to me
it would be easier (maybe not as much fun) to take the Metro.

Take your unicycles and ride around the hotel neighborhood but take the
Metro and walk to the tourist destinations. You can get close to just
about anywhere by Metro. The trains and stations are clean. I am not
much of a traveler but even I can get around Washington, DC very easily
by Metro.

Just my opinion......

--
mucRider - From the Over 50 Group

It is wise to invest in your happiness. - Harper
mucRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6119

Old August 11th 05, 11:55 PM
onefiftyfour

Although this is not near the mall, it's fairly close by: there's a cool
bike path that goes from old town alexandria to Mt Vernon along the
Potomac river. Mt Vernon is George Washington's home.

Have fun! I used to live near DC. I would love to uni around there now.

-Eric

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

Old August 12th 05, 04:18 AM
zoharj

i am in DC right now... and i was riding around yeasterday. I even
jumped up some of the steps at the capital until some guy with a big gun
told me to stop. There is no problem riding on the sidewalks

--
zoharj - Level 4
zoharj's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9821

Old August 12th 05, 07:53 AM
Checkernuts

Anyone in the DC area up for a ride tomorrow night or sometime over the
weekend?

I leave the country on monday for a few months and it would be nice to
meet up with the richmond crew if you guys are up for it.

--
Checkernuts - Breakdancer Extraordinar

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20

Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801