Road Bike or Hybrid? Need Help!

Old November 17th 03, 03:10 PM
K-Man

Default Road Bike or Hybrid? Need Help!

I'm thinking about asking Santa for a bike for Christmas this year. This
will be the first bike I've owned since my teenage BMX days back in the
early 80's, so I've been doing some research and visiting the local bike
shops. Most of my riding will be on the road, but I will also be doing
some offroad riding on light dirt trails and light gravel. I'm currently
leaning toward the Trek 7300 since it seems to have the combination of
features that I'm looking for:

http://www.trekbike.com/bikes/2004/citybike/7300.jsp

I live in Western NC, and we have have a number of great road rides that
range from 15 to 50 miles. My only concern is how this bike will do on
longer road rides. Will it be comfortable? What's the longest road trip
that this kind of bike is good for? Any other bikes you might suggest
given the kind of riding I'll be doing? Thanks in advance!

Ken
Old November 17th 03, 04:21 PM
Harris

K-Man wrote:

I'm thinking about asking Santa for a bike for Christmas this year. This
will be the first bike I've owned since my teenage BMX days back in the
early 80's, so I've been doing some research and visiting the local bike
shops. Most of my riding will be on the road, but I will also be doing
some offroad riding on light dirt trails and light gravel. I'm currently
leaning toward the Trek 7300 since it seems to have the combination of
features that I'm looking for:

http://www.trekbike.com/bikes/2004/citybike/7300.jsp

I live in Western NC, and we have have a number of great road rides that
range from 15 to 50 miles. My only concern is how this bike will do on
longer road rides. Will it be comfortable? What's the longest road trip
that this kind of bike is good for? Any other bikes you might suggest
given the kind of riding I'll be doing? Thanks in advance!

It sounds like a good choice for what you want. Fifty mile rides might be
pushing it due to the upright position and fat tires. If these will be
casual rides with a few stops it should be ok.

If you want something more performance oriented that you could still
use on gravel and dirt, you might consider a cross bike. But those will be more
expensive.

Art Harris
Old November 17th 03, 09:23 PM
AMH

K-Man wrote in message ...
[...]

Upright bikes are known for their comfort for most riders. However
some folks (myself included) can get sore wrists from the handlebar
position. Easy to solve with bar ends that can be clamped on. But you
really know your comfort level until you ride it for 20-30 miles. The
longest you'll be comfortable on this bike is something only you can
answer. I've ridden my mountain bike on a road for 25 miles once, and
I was pretty uncomfortable. On my road bike I'd have been fine.

I prefer to do any long riding on a typical drop bar bike. For a few
reasons. Number one being that I can get out of the wind and more
aerodynamic on a drop bar bike. Not that I have to be going full speed
but when the wind is blowing at me I like to get out of the wind as
much as I can. Another factor for me would be the weight of the bike.
My bike is lightweight and the less weight I'm pedaling the happier I
am.

Not to confuse your decision even more but it is possible to ride
gravel and
light dirt trails on a road bike. I have a pair of cyclocross tires on
my road bike and have taken it on some bumpy trails. As long as there
is clearence for the tires though.

In any event get the bike that you'll ride and not let gather dust in
the garage.

Enjoy,
Andy
Old November 17th 03, 09:40 PM
Matthew

"K-Man" wrote in message

[...]

I just started cycling this February and I bought both a hybrid (in
February) and a road bike (last month) this year. I use the road bike almost
exclusively now. This weekend I rode 30+ miles and almost 3 of it was on
dirt roads. The bike performed well even with 700x23 tires. If I had to do
it again, instead of the hybrid I would have bought a road bike that could
take a wider tire (28 or maybe 32) instead of the hybrid.

As for comfort, after changing out the stock saddle on my road bike, I
actually find it more comfortable than the hybrid with front suspension and
a suspended seat post.

If you do decide to go the hybrid route, it certainly is possible to do
longer road rides on them. For me it is not as fun or as comfortable as with
the road bike but it is much preferable to my old form of recreation of
watching TV sports. I think where the hybrid really shines is in riding in
city traffic because the upright riding position makes you more visible. The
hybrid is also a little easier on Santa's wallet.

Also, you will want to make sure that Santa gets the bike from a good local
bicycle shop that will work with you to fit the bike to your size and riding
style. Santa should also bring accesories like water bottles and cages,
cycling shorts, shoes, and clip-in pedals.

Merry Christmas!
Matthew

Old November 17th 03, 09:41 PM
Harris

Kevan Smith wrote:

That's an OK bike. I am not a fan of hybrids, though. I think you will find that
the 7300 is like a plush tank compared to the BMXs you rode. You might shake it
apart if you try a BMX riding style.

Test ride a real road bike. Might I recommend the 5200:

It is a pricey bike, but you will absolutely love the ride
and it should hold up for years with normal maintenance.

But he wants a bike he can ride on dirt trails and gravel roads. What are
the widest tires a 5200 will accept?

Art Harris
Old November 17th 03, 10:43 PM
jacques

It sounds like a good choice for what you want. Fifty mile rides might be
pushing it due to the upright position and fat tires. If these will be
casual rides with a few stops it should be ok.

If you want something more performance oriented that you could still
use on gravel and dirt, you might consider a cross bike. But those will be more
expensive.

Art Harris

But these tires aren't that fat ! I really think you can do 50 miles
without problems on this bike. My recommendation is you change the saddle
for something harder (look at the one of the 7300 FX), and you choose a
size where your saddle will be about (or at least) at the same height as
your handlebars. You might get sore wrists on very long rides, but your
butt will feel less bad and you will have more strength on the pedals.

Look at my own bike:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ...20031018125107
On this bike I've done 80 miles a day during 13 days (unloaded I've pushed
it to 120 miles in one day) and it is no more a "road bike" that the 7300.

Old November 17th 03, 10:49 PM
redfrogz

http://www.trekbike.com/bikes/2004/c.../www.trekbike-
.com/bikes/2004/citybike/7300.jsp
I live in Western NC, and we have have a number of great road rides that
range from 15 to 50 miles. My only concern is how this bike will do on
longer road rides. Will it be comfortable? What's the longest road trip
that this kind of bike is good for? Any other bikes you might suggest
given the kind of riding I'll be doing? Thanks in advance!
Ken

Hybrids are good for nothing - complete compromise and in six months
time you'll regret your decision. I would suggest buying a good quality
hard tail mountain bike with an extra set of wheels clad with road tyres
(I use hutchinson gold 1" jobs and they do the biz). So it may be a
couple of pounds heavier but it's not that big a deal especially if you
have no intention of racing - but you end up with a bike that will go
anywhere. I've got a '94 GT Karakoram which I keep set up with my road
wheels and it does the job fabulously - even on 100 mile rides. Whilst
the Trek 5200 road bike is a fab machine, it aint going to go very well
on the trail!

Old November 18th 03, 06:14 PM
Bill Blum

K-Man wrote:
My only concern is how this bike will do on
longer road rides. Will it be comfortable?

For pete's sake, replace the default saddle if you're looking at long trips.

What's the longest road trip
that this kind of bike is good for? Any other bikes you might suggest
given the kind of riding I'll be doing? Thanks in advance!

Ken

I've been commuting back and forth to campus, running in town errands,
and making runs down the bike path (about 10-15 miles) on my Giant
Cypress. I wouldn't do any serious trail riding on it, but I have no
fear of cutting thru unpaved alleys, or following dirt access roads next
to railroad right of way.

Old November 18th 03, 07:58 PM
jhuskey

K-Man wrote:
[...]

I am just the other side of the mountain in East Tennessee. I have an
inexpensive mountain bike(hardtail) for rougher conditions and a light
weight upper end road bike. This is the only way to be truly happy in
this area.The first time someone of comparable conditioning blows by you
on a road bike as you are srtuggling on a heavy bike you will know what
I am saying.At least that is the way I feel. I would recommend getting a
good road bike,there are many good ones out there, and a reasonable
mountain bike for shorter rougher rides, like a Trek 4300,used and in
good shape around $200.00. And of course there are a lot of others
reasonably priced .Of course everyone has different wants .This is just
my opinion.

Old November 18th 03, 07:58 PM
Steve Shapiro

K-Man wrote:
[...]

I started out two years ago with an aluminum framed hybrid. It got me
back to bicycling and don’t regret it for a minute. Now, I do 30 to 40
mile road rides and occasional gravel or dirt road rides of lesser
distance. But the bike has evolved as my needs changed. The suspension
fork was a complete waste of time and has been replaced with a
non-suspension, inexpensive steel one. I added bar ends, a
micro-adjusting seat post (for the shock absorbing one that came on it)
and a Brooks saddle. Along the way I changed to spd pedals and shoes
too. I find the bike is comfortable and with the long, curved bar ends I
can lean forward as far as I want to. The bars are adjusted a cm or two
higher then my seat...I’m 61 years old and this gets me a comfortable
riding position.

So, if you consider a 7300 fx, you could save some money and lose the
relatively useless but heavy suspension fork and seatpost right off the
bat. The wide tires that come on the bike will give a great ride. I
strongly suggest that you add bar ends quickly as they make a big
difference in comfort by providing many good hand positions. I like drop
bars too, but the hybrid got me re-started in cycling and has evolved to
meet my needs so far. Either can work as long as the fit is good.

Western NC is hilly. My daughter goes to school in Asheville and it’s
mighty beautiful there. But the mountains are somewhat intimidating to
an old fart like me. Is that the kind of terrain you plan to ride in? I
ride in eastern MA with small hills.

Steve Shapiro

my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp General 116 August 18th 03 11:44 PM
One for the Economists: inflation, road bike pricing, etc S. Anderson General 18 August 14th 03 04:53 PM
Looking for a cheap road bike Mike Jacoubowsky General 8 August 7th 03 12:12 AM