Brightest LED Headlight?

Old February 10th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Brightest LED Headlight?

Any ideas for a really bright LED headlight? Is the 5-led cateye the one?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old February 10th 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ed Light wrote:

Any ideas for a really bright LED headlight? Is the 5-led cateye the one?

The EL-500 is as bright as I've seen, and I need 4 of them to get along
decently.

The advantage of LEDs is long runtime on the batteries, which of course
means that they don't put out much light, either.

There are supposedly brighter LEDs but they also have shorter lifetimes,
and less runtime, becoming really expensive bulbs in effect.

--
Ron Hardin

Old February 10th 06, 08:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
Ed Light wrote:

Any ideas for a really bright LED headlight? Is the 5-led cateye the one?

The EL-500 is as bright as I've seen, and I need 4 of them to get along
decently.

Do you mean 4 side-by-side? What brand are they?

Thanks.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old February 10th 06, 11:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Ed Light" wrote in message
Any ideas for a really bright LED headlight? Is the 5-led cateye the one?

Brightest? I think you have to choose between the Light & Motion Vega, the
DiNotte Ultralight, and the Blackburn X3. Cateye also has the Double and
Triple Shots. All are going to run you about $200. I have the DiNotte, and
it's very bright.

Old February 10th 06, 11:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Ed Light" wrote in news:J6WGf.32277$jR.29397
@fed1read01:

Any ideas for a really bright LED headlight? Is the 5-led cateye the one?

I don't know about the brightest, but this is has some nice pictures:
http://eddys.com/page.cfm?PageID=493
Mike
Old February 10th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ed Light wrote:
Any ideas for a really bright LED headlight? Is the 5-led cateye the one?

The Luxeon-based single-LED lights, which come in 1 to 5 watt
varieties, seem to be the pick right now. They're brighter than the
units based on multiple small LEDs like the Cateye.

I have a Light & Motion Vega which I'd characterize as "just barely
adequate as primary lighting." That's pretty good for an LED, but you
can get more light for less money from traditional halogen units. The
Vega is roughly equivalent to a 10W halogen, gets equivalent run-times
as a lead-acid bottle battery, but is self-contained (no external
battery). This is a 3.5W Luxeon. I haven't seen the even pricier 5W
ones.

RichC

Old February 10th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 22:09:59 -0800, Ed Light wrote:

Any ideas for a really bright LED headlight? Is the 5-led cateye the one?

No. The diNotte has a 5-Watt LED emitter, and is bright enough to see as
well as be seen. It is certainly brighter than a 10W halogen, and
comparable to a 15w halogen (my old NiteRider 15 had a brighter center
area, but was not as good away from that center region as the diNotte --
besides, it was never reliable and the diNotte is). It is also small,
light, and easy to mount/unmount. It isn't cheap, but cheaper than
anything else that bright.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
_`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
(_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
-- J. R. R. Tolkein

Old February 10th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Ed Light" wrote:

Any ideas for a really bright LED headlight? Is the 5-led cateye the one?

I'd look at -- at least /look at/ -- Lupine's line.

http://lupine.de/en/products/products.html

The Wilma 8 and Wilma 4 are likely to be as impressive as their Edison
10 that I use....

NB: You get what you pay for, though. ($$)
--
Live simply so that others may simply live
Old February 10th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

mike wrote in
:

"Ed Light" wrote in news:J6WGf.32277$jR.29397
@fed1read01:

Any ideas for a really bright LED headlight? Is the 5-led cateye
the one?

I don't know about the brightest, but this is has some nice
pictures: http://eddys.com/page.cfm?PageID=493
Mike

Nice site! If only they had listed prices of each unit, too.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old February 10th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:36:02 +0000, Gooserider wrote:

Brightest? I think you have to choose between the Light & Motion Vega, the
DiNotte Ultralight, and the Blackburn X3. Cateye also has the Double and
Triple Shots. All are going to run you about $200. I have the DiNotte, and
it's very bright.

If you shop around you can find the Vega for $130 or so.

For me the attraction is being self-contained, with no external batteries
or wires. If you're going to put up with that stuff, you'll get a lot
more bang for your buck with old technology (overdriven MR lamps,
etc.)

Matt O.