waterproof breathable jacket that fits in a jersey pocket

Old February 23rd 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default waterproof breathable jacket that fits in a jersey pocket

I'm looking for a replacement for an old (1996-8?) Patagonia Velocity
jacket with Gore xcr membrane that is now falling off. Seams not
taped, but it kept wet snow and rain from ruining those too infrequent
rides and skis. It was simple, no pockets, lycra taped cuffs, no vents
or pit zips, and hence rolled up small enough for a jersey pocket. It
served as a warm-up early in rides and after stops too.

Despite the nickname, I'd like a road cut too; not too flappy in the
wind. The Velocity was just right.

It's not made any longer. Anyone have something similar they can
recommend?

TIA

Old February 24th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

You'll find a good selection at http://www.performance.com just search
for "gore" and "goretex"

Good prices, snug fit. Nothing beats gore tex.

-Mike

Old February 24th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I meant to type http://www.performancebike.com ...sorry...

Old February 24th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

mtb Dad wrote:
It's not made any longer. Anyone have something similar they can
recommend?

It's probably no where near as durable, but it is light weight, simple,
breathable, and cheap (~$35 at nashbar):

http://www.rainshield.com/p_cycling.html

As long as you don't snag it on anything, it'll do OK. The cuffs might
chafe though because they're not wrapped with a softer fabric.

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.
Old February 24th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Victor Kan wrote:
mtb Dad wrote:

It's not made any longer. Anyone have something similar they can
recommend?

It's probably no where near as durable, but it is light weight, simple,
breathable, and cheap (~$35 at nashbar):

http://www.rainshield.com/p_cycling.html

As long as you don't snag it on anything, it'll do OK. The cuffs might
chafe though because they're not wrapped with a softer fabric.

I have one of these, and for the price, it does a great job. It doesn't
quite fold down as much as the OP seemed to want; you can get it in a
pocket, but it's a very full pocket with the rolled jacket sticking out
the top.

Mark

Old February 25th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:54:04 -0800, mtb Dad wrote:

I'm looking for a replacement for an old (1996-8?) Patagonia Velocity
jacket with Gore xcr membrane that is now falling off. Seams not taped,
but it kept wet snow and rain from ruining those too infrequent rides
and skis. It was simple, no pockets, lycra taped cuffs, no vents or pit
zips, and hence rolled up small enough for a jersey pocket. It served
as a warm-up early in rides and after stops too.

Despite the nickname, I'd like a road cut too; not too flappy in the
wind. The Velocity was just right.

It's not made any longer. Anyone have something similar they can
recommend?

I have a similar Patagonia jacket. I think it's called a Lightning. It
fits inside my medium-sized underseat bag with the bellows unzipped. It
packs almost as small as my friend's Showers Pass jacket. I would have
bought the Showers Pass, but I found the Patagonia one on sale much
cheaper. It's practically as good. The cut is actually sleeker than my
regular windbreaker.

I think Patagonia's latest jacket of this type is even lighter and more
compact. Check out their sale going on right now -- www.patagonia.com

Matt O.