Bikes on footpaths - damn...

Old October 4th 03, 09:34 AM
Tim Jones

Default Bikes on footpaths - damn...

"Roger Martin" wrote in message

I'd have to agree with that, my mother was knocked down by a lycra clad
cyclist on a footpath, he just picked himself up, dusted off, checked his
bike, swore at my mother for walking on a footpath and rode off. Did not
even bother to help my mother who was left with cuts and bruises. It was
reported to the police who of course could do nothing about it - I cant
remember exactly - but I think that it was not considered a vehicle

accident
at the time. I know she even ended up paying for the medical costs.

Jesus - what a scumbag!

What sort of footpath was it? Just a suburban one or something?

My view now is that cyclists on footpaths should be required to stop and
dismount to pass pedestrians - or they are fair game for a straight arm
tackle to the throat.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. As a regular footpath cyclist (with my 6YO
son) I give walkers warning and a wide berth. At low speed, there should be
no real problems!

Tim

Old October 4th 03, 09:46 AM
DJ

Yes agreed on about what was said but i did mention something about common
sense which at times like the lycra lad had not displayed. He was just an
arsehole, but you get them everywhere. Sorry about your Mum Roger.

There are always obstacles or perhaps dangers in anything but you can do
much to reduce the chances.

Ok would the same be said with shared paths like the Liverpool/Parramatta
rail link which is a shared path which goes past houses, driveways, train
station carparks etc, also riding on these i pass many walkers, riders, and
dog lovers with not a problem if some courtesy is displayed.

I know you will always get the ******s who'll do the wrong thing but if I'm
riding in an area that I don't really know and by following the roadsigns to
the places I want to go, so i won't get lost in a back street, if the road
is deemed by me to be a bit dangerous, i will use the path but keeping in
mind other users..I can't answer to everyone but as i said before...I'd
rather be an alive outlaw than a dead inlaw!!

Cheers
DJ
"Roger Martin" wrote in message
"PC" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 06:53:16 GMT, "DJ" wrote:

Yeah Alan,I reckon here in Sydney at least anyone should be able to

ride
on
a footpath/sidewalk if it is deemed too dangerous to ride on a

particular
peice of road.

Does the term "alternate route" ring a bell? If you don't like riding
down, say, Nicholson Street in North Fitzroy, use Canning Street..
Surely there's an equivalent alternate route near where you are so
desperate to ride on the footpath..

IMHO, I'd rather be an alive outlaw than a dead inlaw.....just use a

bit
of
safety common sense (although sometimes not that common)and protect
yourself....ya don't often get a second chance under the wheels of a

semi
trailer.

Nor do you get a second chance if some kid or pet runs in front of you
and dies, with the potential to seriously injure you in the process..
Nor everything revolves around your safety, others have rights too..

PC

Old October 4th 03, 11:32 AM
David Trudgett

DJ wrote:

[...]

Yes indeed. If it were so dangerous, it wouldn't be legal in Tassie. For
heaven's sake, everyone just needs to use a bit of common sense,
caution, and courtesy to get along. There are many, many places where it
is perfectly safe to ride at a reasonable speed on a footpath, so that
*everyone* is safe. Obviously, except if you're a bicycle courier evil
grin/ (I'm not one! :-)) you won't be riding a bike down the footpath
on George St Sydney at midday.

Making it illegal to ride a bicycle on a footpath, full stop, doesn't
stop an ar**hole bowling over grandma at the pedestrian crossing. It
doesn't do anything besides kill more cyclists. Well, I'm too young to
die! (Who isn't?) You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out
where it would be safer for everybody (you, the motorists, and the
pedestrians) to ride cautiously on a footpath than to ride on the road
pi**ing motorists off because you're getting in their way, lane hogging,
or whatever.

Like I said, it's not rocket science. What we have an obligation to do
is the *right thing* by others and by yourself. If the *right thing*
doesn't happen to be legal, well tough^H^H^H^H^H obey the law, of course.

Bye for now.

David

Old October 4th 03, 02:28 PM
Alan Erskine

"Tim Jones" wrote in message
. au...
As a regular footpath cyclist (with my 6YO
son) I give walkers warning and a wide berth. At low speed, there should

be
no real problems!

Tim

Likewise. I give plenty of time so they know I'm there and then _I_ move
out of _their_ way; I don't expect them to move out of my way at all.

By the way, I'm hardly a "Lycra-clad cyclist" I wear jeans and an old
shirt - don't like too much sun and don't like being cut up by branches etc.
I ride slowly (15km/h at most) and on the outside edge of the path so I
_don't_ hit pedestrians.

I'm courteous, friendly and polite to a fault.
--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au

Trial or release, Mr Bush, trial or release.