6 km's

Old August 11th 05, 03:02 PM
Brian MacKenzie

Default 6 km's

Now the farthest I've ridden a giraffe.

With a few PD's. The ride is along the river, and I discovered
something very creepy while riding. If you are on a girraffe, you are
ready to fall over the side of the railing very easily, should you fall
to the side. Especially how you never really have control in a 'tip
over' I find you always have to wait it out to see what
happens....keeping 'don't twist ankle' at the top of your 'things to do
list'

But on top of that, keeping in mind the same kind of awkward fall, you
would 'most likey' still fall over if you were 3 feet away. (so riding
a 6 ft wide bridge down the centre has 'skinny' qualities to it.

This also allowed nice periods to get off, and practice freemounting
again on the other side, I'm probably at 70% success with that.

Anyone using a velo on their giraffes?

Riding up/down steep hills on a giraffe is quite a different feeling.

--
Brian MacKenzie - Infection is your finest flower

'TRAINING WHEEL NOT REQUIRED DVD - NOW AVAILABLE!'
(HTTP://WWW.LBMMULTIMEDIA.COM)

'ps. just watched TWNR, the UW36 on the stairs broke my brain' - markf

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://londonunicyclingclub.ca/unicycleReviews.aspx)
*122* reviews on *79* products, never make an uninformed purchase again!

Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Old August 11th 05, 07:54 PM
uni57

You rode 3.7 miles (based on the current exchange rate of Canadian KMs).
I had to convert before I could decide whether to be impressed.

--
uni57 - David C. Lowell

dave lowell (uni57)
uni57's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2085

Old August 11th 05, 07:59 PM
Brian MacKenzie

uni57 wrote:
*whether to be impressed. *

Not yet

Old August 11th 05, 08:19 PM
uni57

Brian MacKenzie wrote:
*Not yet *

A little-ish.

If you're not impressed, then I won't be either. But if it's a big
accomplishment for you, then I will be duly impressed and congratulatory
(and happy for you). Everything is relative to the rider, because we
all have different strengths and weaknesses and different rates of
learning. You are one of the few masters of extreme Coker riding, but I
guess you are new to giraffes? (I don't read much here lately, so I
probably missed a few posts)

Keep posting about your giraffe experiences. I don't recall people
talking much about giraffes (we get "trip reports" mostly about
Coker/700c distance riding and MUni).

Old August 11th 05, 08:24 PM
forrestunifreak

The most I've ridden is a mile one-way to our little local store. It
also involves crossing a rather scary (on a giraffe) bridge over the
river, were you have to ride along these little 3 foot wide raised
things on the sides, they're elavated about 10 inches*. Its scary.

* I dont know what to call it. Little ramps on either side for cars to
drive over.

--
forrestunifreak - The buck stops here.

warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.

it has been known to the state of california to cause warts, toe jam,
ring-around-the-collar, compulsive twitching, and in some severe cases,
' diaper rash.' (http://tinyurl.com/ct5lp)
it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pshycological nudity, and
traces of peanuts.

Team YAMS member.....

Old August 11th 05, 08:26 PM
Brian MacKenzie

Well, thank you sir.

I won't really be impressed until I hit you in the face with a water
cannon though.

Old August 11th 05, 09:31 PM
James_Potter

that's pretty far, for a giraffe...I've only borrowed my friend's
giraffe to ride to school, which is about a mile from here, and that was
hard. nice job

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old August 11th 05, 10:27 PM
flyer

I have ridden my giraffe off-road.. and onto a gravel-paved walking
trail. The round trip comprises about 7km, down my street, across the
freeway, through a subdivision and down a short (but really really
hilly!) path to the lake. I've got a pretty good success rate with
mounting (5' torker TX), and I converted the seat to be an airseat,
which developed a bit of a leak I'm afraid.

It was definitely a good ride though - the trail is well-used, but still
has an amazing woodsy feel even though it's right in the middle of the
city. Joggers also use it a lot - and when you're nine feet tall, they
usually stare as they pass by!

Surprisingly, low-hanging branches weren't much of a problem. Hills
which required me to pull on my seat to stay on were, however.

All in all, it was a good ride, and left me feeling satisfied and a bit
winded by the end of it. I am definitely a fan of giraffe-distance
riding. I'm very tempted by a cheap (20$) bike at the thrift store with
a 46-tooth chainring. The cotterless cranks would fit right on the
giraffe, and with a bit of chain adjustment, I'd have a pretty mean one
wheeled goin' machine.

let's hear it for the really tall crew

--
flyer - Level 5 Unicyclist
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

Old August 11th 05, 10:32 PM
Brian MacKenzie

flyer wrote:
*I'm very tempted by a cheap (20$) bike at the thrift store with a
46-tooth chainring. *

Bike cranks are usully 175mm, is that the length you are thinking of
getting?

edit: You've got me really anxious.

I'm now going to re-lace this giraffe hub into a 24" muni wheel...just
in case