Shimano Introduces Off-Road Electronic Shifting

Old June 5th 14, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Shimano Introduces Off-Road Electronic Shifting

On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 1:17:09 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:08:26 AM UTC+2, Andre Jute wrote:

On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 9:21:46 PM UTC+1, Lou Holtman wrote:

We are talking about shifting, no? Compared to Di2 on my crossbike my Rohloff on my ATB shifts like a clunky Fiat gearbox.

You have too many bikes, Lou.

If you had fewer bikes, you would ride your Rohloff more, and it would by now be run in, and smoother-shifting. Mine is run in with only 7000km; it shifts like slicing through butter even under load.

You are probably right, but one Rohloff hub has more than 5000 km on the clock. I would expect that it doesn't get any better but we will see.

You can achieve fewer bikes by sending me half or three quarters of your bikes. I shall be happy to help.

Yeah. I promised myself that I have to sell one bike first before getting a new one. The problem is that people know how I treat and maintain my bikes and ask me to sell one of my bikes if they need one. Once in a while I'm tempted. Riding buddy of mine wrecked his road bike and ask me to sell one of mine. I sold my 'uberbike' to him for a reasonable price. He is happy and I have a new 'project':

https://picasaweb.google.com/1010765...98252266784290

People know how I treat and maintain my bikes, too. That is why those people generally keep their distance from me while riding. I got criticized the other day because my plastic bike was dirty, and it is by far my cleanest bike.

I used to ride with this guy who (attention Frank) was the Ohio state junior champion back in the '70s. I'd ask him if he had been riding much, and his answer would be "look how clean my bike is." I want people to know I'm riding!

My commuter cleaning routine: Come home from work. Lean bike against garage wall.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 5th 14, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

cool road test Lou, valuable. outasight.

where did you ride today ?

Old June 5th 14, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

LH

cycling around, is there a problem with agricultural dusts and mists...lowland biting insects ?

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/89776307

51.430352° 6.133045°

a 6....strange to read that....

Old June 5th 14, 07:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 3:32:35 AM UTC+2, wrote:
cool road test Lou, valuable. outasight.

where did you ride today ?

Today was a rest day. But,
Last thursday 108 km Ti roadbike,
Last friday 88 km Al roadbike
Last saturday 52 km off road on my crossbike,
Last sunday 89 km on my Al roadbike,
Last tuesday 61 km on my Al roadbike.
Commute I don't count.

Lou
Old June 5th 14, 07:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 3:50:48 AM UTC+2, wrote:
LH

cycling around, is there a problem with agricultural dusts and mists...lowland biting insects ?

No problems.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/89776307

51.430352° 6.133045°

a 6....strange to read that....

That is exactly where I rode last tuesday.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/5...LWL3bcy8.gmail

Lou
Old June 5th 14, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 2:09:21 AM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Dirt doesn't dare adhere ot my bike. But the paintwork, with irreplaceable coachlining by a fellow who worked on the line in 1936 (read that again, it is not a misprint) when the design of my bike was first built as the Locomotief Crossframe Deluxe, is valuable and none too hard (bloody Germans and Dutch saving the planet again), so I don't fancy washing and polishing it away. I tenderly wipe the dust off my bike every year or two with a soft cloth, whether it is necessary or not.

Anyway, I have deliberately developed my Kranich as a near-zero maintenance bike (the chain gets changed but not oiled and there is no need for cleaning it because it is fully covered, the gearbox oil is changed every year or 3000 miles which takes less than an hour including a circulation ride, and I've just finished an experiment to show that a recommended 500km service interval on another part is over the top and missing a zero -- see bottom of http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGRo...XTservice.html -- ; and that's everything). So there isn't a great deal to do even if I were inclined to bother.

I'd buy a pre-loved bike from Lou though, in the certainty that if it started out good, it would be in the same condition, and if it wasn't perfect to start with, he'd have made it perfect.

Andre Jute
Old June 5th 14, 01:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Lol. Maybe I can get Lou to borrow one of mine and it would come back
blessed and shiny.

--
duane
Old June 5th 14, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

lOU uses a French machine sprays dirt on the bikes, another machine removes that dirt ultrasonically with a refined blow dryer adjustable for carbon fiber.

Dirt comes in 5 pound bags screened and sterilized.

From Inner Mongolia
Old June 5th 14, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

jbeattie wrote:

:My commuter cleaning routine: Come home from work. Lean bike against garage wall.

That's more than I do....

--
sig 114
Old June 5th 14, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 6/4/2014 6:09 PM, jbeattie wrote:

My commuter cleaning routine: Come home from work. Lean bike against garage wall.

There are 200 companies at Interbike that are anxious to sell you
cleaning and lubrication products. As well as a parking system for your
garage.

You are not supporting the economy.