outlawing road racing would have saved many lives this year

Old August 7th 10, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default outlawing road racing would have saved many lives this year

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-22470662/

another needless death on the roads, with no reason for her to be there.

Old August 7th 10, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Aug 7, 9:27*am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...e-cyclist-deat...

another needless death on the roads, with no reason for her to be there.

Bicycle road racing and time trialling on the public road are
perfectly legal and legitimate activities, and I hope they stay that
way. The only alternatives are closed road events (very difficult to
organise in the UK), or using race tracks and private roads, as the
motorsport folk have to do. Push bikes are unlikely to be able to
exceed the National speed limit, unlike cars and motorbikes.

Derek C

Old August 7th 10, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Derek C wrote:
On Aug 7, 9:27 am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...e-cyclist-deat...

another needless death on the roads, with no reason for her to be
there.

Bicycle road racing and time trialling on the public road are
perfectly legal and legitimate activities, and I hope they stay that
way. The only alternatives are closed road events (very difficult to
organise in the UK), or using race tracks and private roads, as the
motorsport folk have to do. Push bikes are unlikely to be able to
exceed the National speed limit, unlike cars and motorbikes.

Derek C

but they serve no useful purpose, cost many lives (three in the last few
days) and each life lost leads to a massive bill to the country (I heard a
figure of 1 million per road death quoted on TV)

Old August 7th 10, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Mrcheerful wrote:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-22470662/

another needless death on the roads, with no reason for her to be
there.

And another arrest of a driver on suspicion of causing death by careless
driving. He was driving a black Audi (surprise, surprise) and hit her
from behind. He left two daughters aged 21 and 19 without a mother.

But why not blame the victim instead for doing something that was
perfectly legal. Its not even as if she was alone on the road. He
would have had to pass several other competitors before he hit her.

Tony

Old August 7th 10, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Aug 7, 10:01*am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Derek C wrote:
On Aug 7, 9:27 am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...e-cyclist-deat....

another needless death on the roads, with no reason for her to be
there.

Bicycle road racing and time trialling on the public road are
perfectly legal and legitimate activities, and I hope they stay that
way. The only alternatives are closed road events (very difficult to
organise in the UK), or using race tracks and private roads, as the
motorsport folk have to do. *Push bikes are unlikely to be able to
exceed the National speed limit, unlike cars and motorbikes.

Derek C

but they serve no useful purpose, cost many lives (three in the last few
days) and each life lost leads to a massive bill to the country (I heard a
figure of 1 million per road death quoted on TV)

If I must (inevitably) die, I would prefer it to happen whilst I am
doing something I enjoy. In my case flying gliders, playing golf or
cycling.

Derek C
Old August 7th 10, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

Derek C wrote:

On Aug 7, 9:27 am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...e-cyclist-deat...

another needless death on the roads, with no reason for her to be there.

Bicycle road racing and time trialling on the public road are
perfectly legal and legitimate activities,

Racing on the carriageway may be legal (in the sense of not specifically
being illegal), but that does not mean that it is impossible for laws to be
broken whilst doing it.

And whether legal or not, it is only an opinion that using the highway as a
cycle racetrack is legitimate. Many people would say that it is not
legitimate, which is the very reason why there is controversy.

and I hope they stay that
way. The only alternatives are closed road events (very difficult to
organise in the UK), or using race tracks and private roads, as the
motorsport folk have to do.

What's wrong with racing on race-tracks or otherwise on private land? Every
other form of land vehicle racing has to be conducted in that manner unless
the roads are closed (which is no doubt a big money affair - and quite
rightly so).

Push bikes are unlikely to be able to
exceed the National speed limit, unlike cars and motorbikes.

So what?
Old August 7th 10, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

On 07/08/2010 12:38, JNugent wrote:

Every other form of land vehicle racing has to be conducted in that
manner unless the roads are closed (which is no doubt a big money affair
- and quite rightly so).

Navigation rallies
Old August 7th 10, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

Clive George wrote:
On 07/08/2010 12:38, JNugent wrote:

Every other form of land vehicle racing has to be conducted in that
manner unless the roads are closed (which is no doubt a big money affair
- and quite rightly so).

Navigation rallies

A rally is not a race. They are mentioned separately in the legislation.
Old August 7th 10, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Aug 7, 1:31*pm, Clive George wrote:
On 07/08/2010 12:38, JNugent wrote:

Every other form of land vehicle racing has to be conducted in that
manner unless the roads are closed (which is no doubt a big money affair
- and quite rightly so).

Navigation rallies

The problem with closing the roads for motor sporting events in the UK
is that speed limits cannot be temporarily rescinded without an act of
parliament. Low speed motor sports events such as navigational rallies
and treasure hunts are permitted on the public roads. A blind eye
seems to be turned to cycling events in terms of speed limits.

Derek C