SPD Agony!

Old May 8th 08, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

Default SPD Agony!

"Artemisia" wrote in

On 7 mai, 23:42, "Roger Zoul" wrote:

It's too bad that Artemisia had to discover this on her 1st trike tour. I
feel badly about that.

Why? You had nothing to do with it.

Because your 1st trike tour should be great! Mine was. I did one in March
where I did 7 different bikes trails, one each day, over a week. It was
great. However, the temps were higher and later in the day the hot foot
problems showed up. Fortunately, I was able to get out there early to avoid
the heat most of the days.

On yesterday's short ride, a little over 20km, the cleats in the lower
position behaved much better. I didn't have any pain at all in the
first half, kept the shoes on for about an hour over lunch, and only
started suffering again as I was returning to the hotel.

Some time with the shoes off during lunch would have been wise...at least
while you were sitting.

Today, last
day, another longish ride back to Avignon which I will try to shorten
as I can. In addition to cleat pain there have been other technical
issues, as well as scorchingly hot weather, so actually I'll be quite
happy to get back to my little corner in Isle de France.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll post a full trip and trike review
when I get home.

EFR
Isle sur Sorgue

Old May 9th 08, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Weatherlawyer

On May 7, 6:30 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

Mark T wrote:
Artemisia writtificated

Is this normal? Is it something "you just get used to"?

Sounds like the shoes are too small. I would divert to the nearest bike
shop that stocks shoes and buy another pair.

Many people have to go a size up to get a shoe that fits, so it is
essential you try them on before buying.

When wearing the shoes they should not be tight and the toes should not
touch the front of the shoe. I always get shoes where I can wiggle my
toes a little.[...]

Too tight shoes are even more of a problem on a recumbent with the bottom
bracket at or above seat level. I have a pair of Shimano ATB shoes which
are a little narrow. These shoes are fine on the ATB and the low bottom
bracket recumbent, but cause pain and a burning feeling when used on a
higher bottom bracket recumbent.

What a laugh the above statement is.

What an outright pillock.

Do you sleep standing up?
Old May 9th 08, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Weatherlawyer

On May 6, 6:05 pm, Artemisia wrote:
On 6 mai, 18:50, "Jim" wrote:

"Artemisia" wrote in message

Two days into my trail and I discover the limit is coming from an
unexpected place - unbelievably painful feet. I'm using Specialized BG
Comp mountain biking shoes in the appropriate size.

Are you sure you have the cleats in the best position?
I find that I have to shove them pretty far forward otherwise I feel like
they're under my arches.

Jim J

They feel too far forward, practically just under my toes. When I
pedal unclipped (much more comfortable but dangerous) I go much
farther back on the foot. But how can I move them? They are screwed in
and the holes are only in one place.

I never had this problem on my upright bikes and unclipped. I think it
has to do with being able to move the foot about and reposition it
when it starts hurting.

Irony is, Specialized BG makes a big thing about how ergonomical and
comfortable they are!

Therefore it has to be the shoes.

I wear wide fitting work shoes and there is only one make I know of.
Imagine the pain I had to go through once they passed laws on health
and safety demanding steel toe-capped boots or shoes.

It took years of expensive trial and error to find them.
They are Tuskers by the way.

I don't know anything about recumbents or cycling shoes.

Old May 9th 08, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Mark T wrote:
[...]

Tom Sherman is a well regarded idiot on this newsgroup (ARBR). You have
quite a ways to go before you can join him, but keep trying. Who knows, you
might get lucky!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old May 14th 08, 06:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dennis P. Harris

On Tue, 6 May 2008 09:37:52 -0700 (PDT) in rec.bicycles.misc,
Artemisia wrote:

Two days into my trail and I discover the limit is coming from an
unexpected place - unbelievably painful feet. I'm using Specialized BG
Comp mountain biking shoes in the appropriate size. When I put them on
in the morning, they are already not comfortable shoes, stiff and
grating over the toes, but as the day wears on they turn into Chinese
torture.

YOU HAVE THE WRONG SHOES. Properly fitting shoes should never
make your feet hurt! I had a lot of foot pain similar to yours
until I found shoes that were wide enough --- mine are from Pearl
Izumi, but I understand they are no longer made. i have very
wide EEE feet (in american sizes), and it took me a long time to
find shoes that were wide enough.

my regular walking shoes are wide clark's natureveldts, and i
often wear teva sandals in the summer. some friends have found
that they have fewer foot problems with SPD sandals than shoes.

your shoes should be relatively loose fitting. the heel should
be snug but not tight, the toes should not touch the front of the
shoe, they should be wide enough across the instep that they
don't feel tight, and the cleats should be under the balls of
your feet.

The balls of the feet burn like fire and the toes go completely numb.

Both of these symptoms sound like problems resulting from poor
circulation and neuropathy, both common problems with diabetics.
You should be monitoring your sugar levels closely and eating
small amounts often rather than eating big meals that elevate
your sugar levels, since high sugar levels aggravate neuropathy.
on a bent that puts your feet higher than your heart, your
circulation problems will be increased. talk to your doctor
about whether you should be wearing compression hosiery, since
that may be helpful in some situations but detrimental in others,
and it also needs to be properly fitted.

Also, clipping and unclipping is a chore. I thought it would get
easier. But it can take me several minutes to clip and unclipping can
be even longer. The fact of having to press down into the core of the
pain to twist the feet off the pedals is part of it.

your pedals are improperly adjusted. tension is probably too
tight, since a properly adjusted pedal should only require an
ankle twist, NOT a push down.

i had a lot of knee pain and pedal tension problems until i
switched to speedplay frogs, which have cleats that fit SPD shoe
mounts but are very comfortable and have a very wide float, which
accomodates my wandering knees.

they are also easy to unclip from unless the cleats get clogged
with foreign matter. the only time i had a problem with that was
being unable to unclip while riding on mossy cobblestones in
aubusson --- i had unknowingly stepped on a doggie "souvenir"
which mucked up the cleat.

Is this normal? Is it something "you just get used to"? I don't want
to take risks with my feet as I am borderline diabetic and this looks
like the fast route to amputation.

this is not normal. as others have said, you should consider
cancelling the trip for now if you can't find other well fitting
shoes, since poor circulation and foot ulcers are something that
you do not want to have happen. i agree with others that it's
not worth risking foot problems or injuries.

you have learned a lesson --- don't try out new gear on a long
trip, test it out on local rides and weekend trips first, a
lesson we all seem to learn the hard way when we first begin
touring.

i hope that you can find shoes that really fit. since you live
in/near a large metro area, it should be easier for you than for
those of us that live in small rural towns. bonne chance!