Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

Old April 1st 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
donquijote1954

Default Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

On Mar 31, 7:33*pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

*ComandanteBanana wrote:
Having other types of bikes in my collection, I'm about to get off
the beaten path and get either a ROAD TANDEM BIKE or a FANCY UPRIGHT
TRIKE. Well, I like them both but the road tandem would necessarily
put me on the road AMONG THE BEASTS all the time, while the trike I
can use on the back streets and on a new path being built overlooking
the ocean (cool). But I'd be tempted to ride it on the streets
sometimes, squarely TAKING THE LANE because then I'd be more of a
vehicle.

What's your thought, I'd be safer in the trike than on the road
tandem, or should I start planning my funerals?

I see you've changed your screen name but not your behavior.

I still remain Quixotic even though I changed my name.

A trike is no more of a vehicle than a bicycle. *The trike riders I have
met report that drivers give them more room on the road because they are
an unusual veicle. *Drivers may assume that the rider is infirm in some
way, too.

That makes sense. Sort of what I expected. Still the vehicle code
calls all bicycles "vehicles," so we all are a family --though not
necessarily happy.
Old April 1st 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ZBicyclist

ComandanteBanana wrote:
Having other types of bikes in my collection, I'm about to get off the
beaten path and get either a ROAD TANDEM BIKE or a FANCY UPRIGHT
TRIKE. Well, I like them both but the road tandem would necessarily
put me on the road AMONG THE BEASTS all the time, while the trike I
can use on the back streets and on a new path being built overlooking
the ocean (cool). But I'd be tempted to ride it on the streets
sometimes, squarely TAKING THE LANE because then I'd be more of a
vehicle.

What's your thought, I'd be safer in the trike than on the road
tandem, or should I start planning my funerals?

Did I miss something? You seem to be comparing a vehicle made for two people
(tandem) with a vehicle made or one person (trike).

If you have a road bike among the bikes in your collection, you won't find
the road tandem different in terms of riding in traffic.

In neither case is any funeral planning needed.

Old April 1st 08, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Ted

What's your thought, I'd be safer in the trike than on the road
tandem, or should I start planning my funerals?

The whole problem here is that a trike takes up much more road space
and it makes it more difficult for another wide vehicle (an
automobile) to pass, basically requiring the cars to slow down from
what you said is 45 mph to probably less than 18 mph until there is no
one in the opposing lane so they may pass safely. If the road is as
busy as you say it will be very inconvenient for the faster traffic
and they will get mad at you. I doubt they will try to kill you.
However, on a tandem you are very narrow and no one has to change
lanes to pass, and you could potentially travel much faster being
lighter with twice the power of the tricycle.

I would go with the tandem and travel that road with reckless abandon.

Ted
Old April 1st 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Mar 31, 8:10*pm, "ZBicyclist" wrote:
ComandanteBanana wrote:
[...]

No, I don't have a road, but I have a racy folding bike. The tandem
would have been nice though so my girlfriend is not left behind. She's
intimidated easily into the sidewalk too, but I hope my bravery would
inspire her....
Old April 1st 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 1, 12:11*am, Ted wrote:
What's your thought, I'd be safer in the trike than on the road
tandem, or should I start planning my funerals?

The whole problem here is that a trike takes up much more road space
and it makes it more difficult for another wide vehicle (an
automobile) to pass, basically requiring the cars to slow down from
what you said is 45 mph to probably less than 18 mph until there is no
one in the opposing lane so they may pass safely. *If the road is as
busy as you say it will be very inconvenient for the faster traffic
and they will get mad at you. *I doubt they will try to kill you.
However, on a tandem you are very narrow and no one has to change
lanes to pass, and you could potentially travel much faster being
lighter with twice the power of the tricycle.

I would go with the tandem and travel that road with reckless abandon.

Ted

"Reckless abandon"... it sounds to me like, "Caesar, those who are
going to die you". They really were tough back then.

Anyway, the speed differential in itself is not the problem. It's the
lack of LANE DISCIPLINE. You find people racing on the right lane,
where the speed should not be any higher than 20MPH --if we are to
have bikes present. Ah, it's also the cell phone and oversized SUVs.

You must be a tough gladiator to handle all of the above.
Old April 1st 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 1, 8:31*am, ComandanteBanana wrote:
On Apr 1, 12:11*am, Ted wrote:

[...]

You must be a tough gladiator to handle all of the above.- Hide quoted text -

CORRECTION:
"Caesar, those who are going to die, SALUTE you"

Old April 1st 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Mar 31, 9:52 pm, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS"
wrote:

WHY THE BANANA REVOLUTION?http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

Drivers don't hate cyclists. But Americans are all cowardly bullies
who love to pick on those weaker and when they're in a car they are
bigger and stronger than any cyclist.- Hide quoted text -

That has an element of truth, but I think the bullies only make up a
minority among the cowards.

Old April 1st 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

"Who said the good ol' times when they fought the beasts are over? Now
you can ride a bike and feel the same excitement --before you die."

http://www.zazzle.com/gladiator_shir...37870599597918
Old April 1st 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

You must all have seen the movie, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvTT29cavKo
Old April 1st 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling

On Apr 1, 1:11 pm, Ted wrote:
What's your thought, I'd be safer in the trike than on the road
tandem, or should I start planning my funerals?

The whole problem here is that a trike takes up much more road space
and it makes it more difficult for another wide vehicle (an
automobile) to pass, basically requiring the cars to slow down from
what you said is 45 mph to probably less than 18 mph until there is no
one in the opposing lane so they may pass safely.

A tricycle is typically about 30 inches wide, which is almost exactly
the width of my elbows in a fairly normal riding posture (I just
measured roughly).

James

Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic? ComandanteBanana Social Issues 272 April 17th 08 06:22 PM
Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic? ComandanteBanana General 241 April 15th 08 01:22 PM
Traffic Citations & Traffic Cops Freddie Mountain Biking 0 March 23rd 06 06:02 AM
My first collision Alan J. Wylie UK 26 April 15th 05 07:44 AM
In collision with... Just zis Guy, you know? UK 22 August 3rd 03 05:08 PM