SPD Agony!

Old May 6th 08, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Artemisia[_2_]

Default SPD Agony!

Two days into my trail and I discover the limit is coming from an
unexpected place - unbelievably painful feet. I'm using Specialized BG
Comp mountain biking shoes in the appropriate size. When I put them on
in the morning, they are already not comfortable shoes, stiff and
grating over the toes, but as the day wears on they turn into Chinese
torture. This is on a recumbent tadpole trike where the use of SPDs is
required as a safety measure (to prevent running over one's own leg,
which I nearly did the other day). I thought this would be the
ultimate comfort ride as there is none of the pain in the crotch or
wrists that used to terminate previous rides on two wheels. But that
pain was trifling in comparison to this foot agony.

The balls of the feet burn like fire and the toes go completely numb.
Every pedal stroke is so excrucuating that I have to stop every 3 km
or so just to try and get circulation going again. I cannot walk in
them at all - very slippery and stiff, despite the fact that these are
supposed to be used on trail where one is often off the bike.

I tried putting a wad of kleenex between the lining of the shoe and
the SPD clip. That improved matters slightly, but I still cannot go
more than about 10km without the most agonizing pain. And the pain
lasts for about half an hour even after I have taken the shoes off.

Also, clipping and unclipping is a chore. I thought it would get
easier. But it can take me several minutes to clip and unclipping can
be even longer. The fact of having to press down into the core of the
pain to twist the feet off the pedals is part of it.

Is this normal? Is it something "you just get used to"? I don't want
to take risks with my feet as I am borderline diabetic and this looks
like the fast route to amputation.

Your experiences?

Thanks.

EFR
In deepest Provence
Old May 6th 08, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc

On May 6, 12:37*pm, Artemisia wrote:
[...]

sorry to hear of your troubles; my experience suggests to me soles of
your shoes are not stiff enough- you are going to have to invest in
better shoes
Old May 6th 08, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Jim

"Artemisia" wrote in message
Two days into my trail and I discover the limit is coming from an
unexpected place - unbelievably painful feet. I'm using Specialized BG
Comp mountain biking shoes in the appropriate size.

Are you sure you have the cleats in the best position?
I find that I have to shove them pretty far forward otherwise I feel like
they're under my arches.

Jim J

Old May 6th 08, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Mark T[_2_]

Artemisia writtificated

Is this normal? Is it something "you just get used to"?

Sounds like the shoes are too small. I would divert to the nearest bike
shop that stocks shoes and buy another pair.

Many people have to go a size up to get a shoe that fits, so it is
essential you try them on before buying.

When wearing the shoes they should not be tight and the toes should not
touch the front of the shoe. I always get shoes where I can wiggle my toes
a little.

For touring a shoe with a more flexible sole is desirable - this makes it
easier to walk in.
Old May 6th 08, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Mark T[_2_]

Raaman writtificated

sorry to hear of your troubles; my experience suggests to me soles of
your shoes are not stiff enough

This is unlikely in this case as her shoes[1] are about as stiff (and as
good) as mountain bike shoes get.

Fiddling with the cleat position on the off-chance that'll help, and
loosening the velcro in case the shoe is too small is prolly the best thing
to do until replacements can be bought. Alternatively it is perfectly
possible to cycle with normal shoes on, but this may lead to an Accident.

[1] www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=26123

Old May 6th 08, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Artemisia[_2_]

On 6 mai, 18:50, "Jim" wrote:
"Artemisia" wrote in message

Two days into my trail and I discover the limit is coming from an
unexpected place - unbelievably painful feet. I'm using Specialized BG
Comp mountain biking shoes in the appropriate size.

Are you sure you have the cleats in the best position?
I find that I have to shove them pretty far forward otherwise I feel like
they're under my arches.

* Jim J

They feel too far forward, practically just under my toes. When I
pedal unclipped (much more comfortable but dangerous) I go much
farther back on the foot. But how can I move them? They are screwed in
and the holes are only in one place.

I never had this problem on my upright bikes and unclipped. I think it
has to do with being able to move the foot about and reposition it
when it starts hurting.

Irony is, Specialized BG makes a big thing about how ergonomical and
comfortable they are!

EFR
Isle sur Sorgue
Old May 6th 08, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Tue, 06 May 2008 10:05:54 -0700, Artemisia wrote:

They feel too far forward, practically just under my toes. When I
pedal unclipped (much more comfortable but dangerous) I go much
farther back on the foot. But how can I move them? They are screwed in
and the holes are only in one place.

Mine only have two screw holes, but they screw into a plate which can
slide back and forth (slotted holes in the sole of the shoe itself).

Under your toes sounds too far forward - under the balls of your feet
would be better. If you're bending your foot too much and putting a lot
of force through your foot then it will hurt quite a lot (like running
around on your tip toes all the time).

I never had this problem on my upright bikes and unclipped. I think it
has to do with being able to move the foot about and reposition it when
it starts hurting.

I often get a lot of numbness in my feet when riding (only notice when I
stop and take shoes off), and my feet also go cold. I think it's just
because the laces are tight: LBS told me that feet swell a bit when being
used so if my laces are tight when I set off then they'll be too tight
after a few miles!

Also, are your innersoles worn? I replaced mine with cheap ones when I
washed the shoes. They were ok for a while but now I can feel the cleat
through the shoe as they've worn a bit. The original insoles were really
rigid but the new ones were really soft.

Not hurting on an upright bike though is puzzling me though!

peter
Old May 6th 08, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Martin Dann

Artemisia wrote:
Two days into my trail and I discover the limit is coming from an
unexpected place - unbelievably painful feet.

It might be worth trying some padded inserts, esp. if tissues help.

Do you have funny shaped feet? If your shoes claim to be ergonomic, then
they might fit 90% of people really well, and be terrible for the other
10%.

As for moving the cleats, they are often attached to a plate in the
shoe, which can slide forwards and backwards.

Martin.

Old May 6th 08, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Alan Braggins

In article , Artemisia wrote:
They feel too far forward, practically just under my toes. When I
pedal unclipped (much more comfortable but dangerous) I go much
farther back on the foot. But how can I move them? They are screwed in
and the holes are only in one place.

Most SPD shoes have two pairs of holes in a plate which can be moved
forward and back at least a little bit.

Irony is, Specialized BG makes a big thing about how ergonomical and
comfortable they are!

No shoe shape can be really comfortable for everyone - feet are different,
they aren't all just the same but scaled up and down a bit in size.
Old May 6th 08, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
vernon[_2_]

"Mark T"
pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_ reply*.com.invalid wrote
in message ...
Artemisia writtificated

Is this normal? Is it something "you just get used to"?

Sounds like the shoes are too small. I would divert to the nearest bike
shop that stocks shoes and buy another pair.

I agree with the diagnosis. I suffered from severe burning sensations in the
balls of my feet and initially blamed the lack of padding in my socks. I
bought some padded sports socks and they made the problems worse. I
stumbled across the counter intuitive loosening of the shoe laces solution
by chance.

Many people have to go a size up to get a shoe that fits, so it is
essential you try them on before buying.

When wearing the shoes they should not be tight and the toes should not
touch the front of the shoe. I always get shoes where I can wiggle my
toes
a little.

For touring a shoe with a more flexible sole is desirable - this makes it
easier to walk in.

It's not that important if a spare pair of shoes are carried too.