So Long Tubulars?

Old July 12th 19, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default So Long Tubulars?

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 09:10:41 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 3:44:22 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 00:01:27 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 5:59:53 PM UTC-5, John B. Slocomb wrote:

so here is a quote that Brandt
made back in the glory days:

. Oh, you mean this guy:

Thomas H Munich, Born: Oct 1944
3539 Monterey Blvd
San Alejandro CA94578
510) 351-3807

http://tinyurl.com/8rwo2

I thought we had gotten over him, now that we have other
contributors who are equally rude and obnoxious, always carping
while offering no useful information. A few names come to mind.

Jobs Brandt

, DEC 26, 2005

Kind of unrelated to the content of this thread. But looking at this Jobst quote, the guy he is complaining about is only 61 when written. I am pretty sure ALL of the dirty old *******s I ride with are at least that old. I'm the youngster, and I'm not that young anymore. Sadly. Its very depressing that everyone is so F---ing old now.

Yes, he was born in 1944 and is this year 75 years old and as a
general statement males seem to become more garrulous with age, and
Brandt describes the chap as being rude, obnoxious and always
carping, which appear to be an apt description today. :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.

Only with jackasses like you or Frank whose entire purpose on this group is to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about when you don't have a clue even what I'm saying.

Goodness Tom, I'd think that you would be grateful to both Frank and I
for telling you what you don't know. Educating you, as it were.

But then, you have bragged about being a high school drop out so maybe
"learning" just isn't in your frame of reference.

By the way idiot - do you even know what tubeless means?

And why should I care? After all I rarely have flat tires with
conventional tires. In fact I rarely had flats back in the "sew-up"
days.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 12th 19, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 09:14:05 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Huh I was thinking Joe Biden who will turn 77 this year.

Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. born November 20, 1942, ex V.P

I read that:

"Whatever else one thinks of Joe Biden, the speech he delivered in New
York on Thursday showed him to be the only Democratic candidate with
his own vision on foreign policy and a full understanding of just how
badly President Donald Trump's vision is damaging U.S. interests and
values around the world."
_________________________

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
in other countries and one thing that is happening is that more and
more exports, and likely imports, from at least Thailand and Cambodia
are going to China now as opposed to the U.S. And China is funneling
money into both countries both in the form of low cost loans and by
opening manufacturing businesses which, of course, contributes to the
local economy both in the form of taxes and by employing more locals.

Even Australia, the news yesterday recently, is considering developing
nuclear weapons as the U.S. foreign policy seems to be very "wobbly"
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/17...uclear-weapons

--

Cheers,

John B.

So now you're showing that there isn't anything you even have a close approximation of including imports from or exports to China. I think you ought to vote for Joe Biden - he's the sort of politician that you are a bicycle tech expert.

" you even have a close approximation of including imports from or
exports to China"?

Tom, I think, given that jumble of words, that you should be thankful
for Frank or I trying to educate you, albeit with little success, and
yes we know that you brag about being a high school drop out but what
you wrote above is certainly proof positive that you should have
stayed in school and maybe even taken some advance courses in the
English language.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 12th 19, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 13:13:55 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
in other countries and one thing that is happening is that more and
more exports, and likely imports, from at least Thailand and Cambodia
are going to China now as opposed to the U.S. And China is funneling
money into both countries both in the form of low cost loans and by
opening manufacturing businesses which, of course, contributes to the
local economy both in the form of taxes and by employing more locals.

Even Australia, the news yesterday recently, is considering developing
nuclear weapons as the U.S. foreign policy seems to be very "wobbly"
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/17...uclear-weapons

I see in today's paper that for 2019 US imports from China
are down 13% while imports from ROK are up 13%, from ROC up
23%, from Vietnam up 37% and so on.

Only one of the aforementioned countries has four
supercarrier keels down with a goal of challenging USN.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

My website search has a slightly different number.

"The Associated Press reported Friday that Chinese imports from the U.S. were down 31.4 percent from the same time last year, U.S. imports from China dropped by a far lower rate — down just 7.8 percent over last year."

So it seems Trump has made the trade war much worse with his actions. We are hurting China by buying 7.8% less of their goods. Yeah Trump. But hurting USA companies even more by selling 31.4% less to China. I'm sure for 3-4 time bankrupt Trump that means he is winning. Cut off China's pinky finger. Cut off the USA hand. Winning!!!

I have read that companies like Walmart are complaining loudly about
the increased cost of imports from China due to the increased import
duties.

I read just the other day that China produces a major percentage of
the world's "rare earths" whatever that may be - I think that it is
something used in making "solid state" things.

China has the largest economy in the world and China is the second
largest exporter in the world coming just after the EU and the U.S. is
third.

And, it might be said, that China for all the claims of stealing
information about high tech stuff is simply following along behind
Japan's actions during the post WW II era when they were literally
"fostered" by the U.S.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 12th 19, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
[...]

"The Associated Press reported Friday that Chinese imports from the U.S. were down 31.4 percent from the same time last year, U.S. imports from China dropped by a far lower rate โ€” down just 7.8 percent over last year."

So it seems Trump has made the trade war much worse with his actions. We are hurting China by buying 7.8% less of their goods. Yeah Trump. But hurting USA companies even more by selling 31.4% less to China. I'm sure for 3-4 time bankrupt Trump that means he is winning. Cut off China's pinky finger. Cut off the USA hand. Winning!!!

Another economist steps forward with his educated ideas. We are buying less from China because Americans are buying more from America. This probably is something you cannot fathom. Moreover, since we are keeping more money in America we have less need to sell to foreign countries.

That doesn't even make sense. We're not buying significantly more American products because most of the products from China apart from steel are no longer manufactured here, like most things at Walmart. We're now buying that stuff from ROC, Vietnam, Toadsuckistan -- or the same Chinese stuff is being rerouted through those countries. Just as much money is leaving the country, but its going different places. And more money is leaving American pockets to pay the tariffs. http://money.com/money/5646202/costc...ina-trade-war/ Also, tell the farmers about "not needing" to sell to foreign countries. Your tax dollars are now bailing them out. More farm welfare to promote over-production.

BTW, you don't have any idea of how quickly a US-based company can shift production to another country. Your MAGA hat and Donald Trump tie are now made in Viet Nam instead of China. I ride regularly with two executives who have domestic companies with manufacturing in China. For one, it took only a few months to shift the whole operation to Viet Nam.

China should be spanked for its anti-competitive conduct and misappropriation of US IP, but don't think the dopey tariff war is the way to do it. Tariffs are just how Trump is filling budget holes with the massive reduction in the corporate rate and other give-aways to the rich and famous. Once again, ordinary Joe pays.

-- Jay Beattie.

China HAS made a commitment to partake seriously in trade treaty negotiations.

It's plain that you don't understand anything about anything like all of the other idiot millennials.

+1 nicely done.

That said, what do you suggest after several successive
POTUSes and Congresses have ignored the problems? As with
the open-border mess, he's left with only a hammer which
doesn't make the problem into a nail; he just likes pounding.

I don't have an answer either, but to the extent that Xi
doesn't like tariffs and the domestic China economy has
weakened, I'll reflect on it before screaming.

Old July 12th 19, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
[...]

Right Tom, more from America!

Do you remember when they were building the bridge across the bay and
someone complained about why they were buying steel from China? And
the answer was that the steel structures were not available in the
U.S.

Do you know that the largest investor in U.S. government bonds, of all
the countries in the world, is China. Some 1.11 Trillion dollars
worth. Which is to say that the U.S. owes China 1.11 trillion dollars.
As of January, 2019 there was approximately $1.70 trillion in U.S.
currency in circulation. So the U.S. owes China an amount equal to 65%
of all the U.S. currency in circulation.

Can you guess what would be the effect of China demanding that the
U.S. pay up?

Do you know anything?

--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 13th 19, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
[...]

It's not an accident. There's no reason in hell China
should be in WTO or granted MFN. A decasdes long pattern of
predatory behavior centered on IP theft and administrative
barriers more draconian than tariffs coonclude China's
pattern of never in any instance complying with any treaty,
military or commercial.

And yet they do indeed have cash to throw around, enough to
build a Navy with a long range plan to use it. All financed
by my neighbors who can't resist 23c off for a crappy
WalMart gadget with a US flag on it.

Old July 13th 19, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
[...]

"The Associated Press reported Friday that Chinese imports from the U..S. were down 31.4 percent from the same time last year, U.S. imports from China dropped by a far lower rate รขโ‚ฌโ€ down just 7.8 percent over last year."

[...]

I do not have the qualifications to formulate a solution, but based on what I know, perhaps targeted sanctions rather than shot-gun tariffs. Go after their tech sector -- work with our world partners. Diplomacy. The usual stuff.

Some of this will solve itself as it becomes less economic to produce products in China. Other Asian nations do not have the same forced technology transfer policies. Cheap shirts are already going elsewhere. Machines are making more stuff.

A close friend in the '70s was (and is) a frame builder in San Jose, and I remember talking to him about the great Satan China and how we should work to make it a democratic, capitalist country -- the Nixon in China thing. His preference was to keep it closed and communist because it would crush us in the markets. Maybe Nixon should have stayed home.

It's kind of hard to stuff the worms back into the can, particularly since we've grown so fond of worms.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 13th 19, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
[...]

I don't think you understand trade policies. It doesn't MATTER if these products still come from China because we have fair trade policies with these other countries. And pretty soon with China as well. This means that they CANNOT put financial burdens on importing American products if we do not do the same with theirs.

Tom, you just don't know what you are talking about.

Thailand signed a Treaty of Amity and Commerce with the U.S. on March
20, 1833 and in 1966 signed a Treaty of Amity and Economic Relations,
which facilitates U.S. and Thai companies' economic access to one
another's markets. Other important agreements address civil uses of
atomic energy, sales of agricultural commodities, investment
guarantees, and military and economic assistance.

Yet Thailand has effectively banned the import of U.S. pork products
for some time and in 2018 banned the import of U.S. plastic scrap.
And in recent years have banned chicken and turkey imports also.

As for "it doesn't matter if these products still come from China" is
absolute B.S. The U.S. does care and according to what I read
https://tinyurl.com/y2clyt4k
"Importers that knowingly falsely label the country of origin on their
imports are subject to significant fines and penalties under 19 USC
1592 and to criminal prosecution under 18 USC 542 (import by using
false statement) and 18 USC 545 (smuggling). Lying about a product's
country of origin can subject you to 20 years in Federal prison"

These are all very simple matters and I'm surprised that you would leap to such conclusions without a thought.

Exactly what I thought... until you opened your mouth.

What is it they say about keeping your mouth closed and perhaps being
thought a fool and opening your mouth and demonstrating that you are?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 13th 19, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
[...]

Perhaps not today but when I worked in Indonesia, 1974 - 1990
(approximately) Indonesia had a policy of requiring that anyone
setting up a business MUST agree to transfer technology to Indonesia.

To some extent this was done by limiting the hiring of foreign
workman, Bechel, for example, trained several hundred welders to be
sufficiently competent to weld oil pipelines and offshore oil
platforms. I worked on a project to train Indonesian mechanics, the
International oil companies all trained personnel.

I worked at the Petromer-Trend oil field in Irian Jaya for a while and
originally all of the qualified workmen came from Thailand and 10
years later all the qualified workmen were Indonians.

Most people thing of the "transfer of technology" as being concerned
with solid state gizmos and fancy electronic stuff but for a country
like Indonesia where there were no welders qualified to weld on things
where a failed weld would be catastrophic or where nobody can repair
an internal combustion engine, technical knowledge is rather more
basic.

By the way, the exact same thing happened in Thailand where peasants
were trained into skilled trades in support of the U.S. military
bases.

Old July 13th 19, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
[...]

Which is exactly what Japan did after WW I. Although the Japanese
being, perhaps more subtle than the Chinese didn't ban the import of
something. they simply ruled that an item could not be imported
unless it met Japanese standards and surprisingly few products ever
did.

China's
pattern of never in any instance complying with any treaty,
military or commercial.

And yet they do indeed have cash to throw around, enough to
build a Navy with a long range plan to use it. All financed
by my neighbors who can't resist 23c off for a crappy
WalMart gadget with a US flag on it.

Well yes. But of curse they are the second largest exporter in the
world. The EU is slightly larger and the U.S. a bit smaller, so it is
not really surprising that they have a bit of dosh.
--
cheers,

John B.