Electronic Shifting

Old July 15th 19, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Electronic Shifting

On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 5:56:55 PM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
Electronic shifting is like hydraulic shifting, or hydraulic brakes, or pneumatic shifting-- a solution in search of a problem. Added cost, added points of failure, added difficulty to service and maintain, negligible to nonexistent benefit. A pass-fail intelligence test.

But it IS electric. It goes to 11 . . . or 12. I have Di2 on one bike because it was OE and will admit that it is fun (good shifting under load, fast and low effort shifting), but it is entirely elective and not all that much "better" than Ultegra level 11sp shifters, which are pretty damned good. It is certain within the ambit of products one could purchase. It's not crazy or dopey, etc. I just have questions about cost-benefit.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 15th 19, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/14/2019 10:08 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 5:56:55 PM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
Electronic shifting is like hydraulic shifting, or hydraulic brakes, or pneumatic shifting-- a solution in search of a problem. Added cost, added points of failure, added difficulty to service and maintain, negligible to nonexistent benefit. A pass-fail intelligence test.

But it IS electric. It goes to 11 . . . or 12. I have Di2 on one bike because it was OE and will admit that it is fun (good shifting under load, fast and low effort shifting), but it is entirely elective and not all that much "better" than Ultegra level 11sp shifters, which are pretty damned good. It is certain within the ambit of products one could purchase. It's not crazy or dopey, etc. I just have questions about cost-benefit.

-- Jay Beattie.

One trivial example:
Shifting with meatware leads some large number of riders
into small-small most of the time. Electronic systems can't
shift there!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 15th 19, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 5:04:19 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 4:13:09 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 12:53:36 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 8:59:31 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 1:44:40 AM UTC-7, Tom Evans wrote:
On 12/07/2019 22:01, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 9:13:51 AM UTC-7, Tom Evans wrote:
On 10/07/2019 21:19, Tom Kunich wrote:

I am sure that electronic shifting will get more reliable. But again - is there any advantage to it? There can't be more than 20 grams weight advantage to the electronic stuff.

Long term it will probably be cheaper than mechanical.

It simplifies quite a few things. Simpler shifters, no gear cables, no
need for frame additions to route gear cables. The electronic components
will be dirt cheap.

What is the different between internal routing of wires (that come with the group) and cables? Since the ratcheting mechanism is in the rear derailleur instead of the shifters it would be a little cheaper to maintain I imagine.

My expectation for the future would be no wiring. Each component having
its own battery and the using wireless communication. Cheap and simple.

Yesterday in Stage 7 you could see some guy grab a handful of brakes because he was about to touch a wheel. The hydraulic disk locked up and top-ended and threw him right on his face. Pretty ugly and EXACTLY what I did on my cyclocross bike.

My disk brake newbie/cross bike newbie failure was to lose the back
wheel braking and cornering in the wet. For some reason I thought disk
brakes and 40mm tyres could change the laws of physics, unfortunately not.

They had the camera directly on one of the bikes in the Tour as he took a near miss and slammed on the disk. The effect was exactly the same that I had on my cyclocross bike coming down a steep off-road hill - The bike turned directly over the front wheel. On flat road that is one thing but going down that steep hill was another thing altogether since I must have fallen at least 10 feet and more likely 12. But that also gave me time to turn and land on my side. And the ground was soft enough not to break bones.

I've never gotten close to going OTB on my discs -- at least no closer than with well adjusted dual pivot rim brakes. Modern road discs usually have a 140mm (small) front rotor and front braking only modestly better than rim brakes in dry weather. Rear braking is considerably stronger, and you have to learn not to be ham-handed. I fish-tailed a few times getting the hang of my rear disc.

I was riding today with a couple of friends -- all of us were on CF and one had Di2. All of our bikes exploded at the same time, and the Di2 caused an electrical fire. One guy was riding discs, and he also went over his bars as his frame exploded. These modern bikes are super dangerous!

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay, that it can happen is incontrovertible. Not just my case. You don't have to believe me and most do not as if I could care. It happened to one of the most experienced riders in the world on TV during the Tour de France. On paved road and without him touching another bike.

As far as I could make out, he got an overlap and then the guy in front started coming over on him and he hit the brakes hard. Though perhaps this isn't pertinent to your situation since the disks used on these racers are the 206 mm and most normal road bikes used the smaller 150 or 140 mm and it would take a lot more hand pressure to lock those.

You can go OTB with dual pivots. And are you nuts, the pros are using 140mm/160mm front rotors -- not 206mm. That's tandem size.

-- Jay Beattie.

You better tell that to Bob Roll then who said that they were using 206's on the mountain stages.
Old July 15th 19, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 6:11:39 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

OK, I'll give you that. But also I climb overpasses in Large-Small all the time so that I don't have to try to get it to shift up into the large ring going down the other side.
Old July 15th 19, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 9:11:39 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

True. But way back when derailleur bikes first became U.S. consumer goods, bikes
for people at that level were "5 speed" as in, 1x5. SunTour derailleurs then
could shift 13 to 34 cogs. The setup was pretty much equivalent to a five speed
hub gear in capability, but cheaper, lighter and more efficient.

Perhaps that same setup, with added click shifting, would be more appropriate
for most American riders today. No small-small combination possible!

- Frank Krygowski

Old July 15th 19, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 7:58:17 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I was looking for Shimano bar ends for 6 speed and couldn't find them.
Old July 15th 19, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 7:14:19 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

You better get your ears cleaned. Just for context, this is a 203mm (not 206mm) rotor on this tandem. https://tinyurl.com/yy8y8w43 https://tinyurl.com/y3zkk4db

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...emsix-gallery/ 160mm rotors and many on 140mm rotors. Look at the footage and consider the effort mechanics would have to go through to adapt the calipers for 206mm rotors.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 16th 19, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 10:22:16 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I have the 200 mm rotors on my CX bike and all I did was use the standard mounts. I have been trying to sell that bike or else I would convert it to smaller disks just by using the other set of mounting holes.
Old July 16th 19, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 15/7/19 11:11 pm, AMuzi wrote:

One trivial example:
Shifting with meatware leads some large number of riders into
small-small most of the time. Electronic systems can't shift there!

Do they prevent large-large combination too? Why?

As long as it doesn't rip the derailleur off because the chain is too
short, is there any real danger shifting to large-large, or small-small
for that matter?

At worst it may cause a little front derailleur rub, AFAICT, and
additional wear on the chain perhaps.

I don't intentionally shift to large-large or small-small, but by
accident occasionally, nothing catastrophic happens.

--
JS