Schwinn Varsity at Walmart

Old January 30th 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Schwinn Varsity at Walmart

"Rich" wrote in message
Max Penn wrote:

In democracies the workers tend to get too
uppity.

Correct. And then they're demand end up bankrupting companies. Just
watch GM.

I have to concede that GM is having hard times and that they might have
avoided if they were to manufacture under a fascist regime where they could
invoke government coercion to keep the workers in line. But I would
hesitate to fault worker demands for bankrupting a company that pays it top
executives more in three months than a production employee can earn in 25
years, particularly when those executives' performance is rather
unimpressive.

Old January 30th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Just to sort out the schwinn thing....the schwinn bike company, which
had gone bankrupt due to failing to produce bike designs fast enough to
keep up with the new designs and frame materials relying instead on the
company practice of waiting to see what the competition came up with
then supplying a reliable product afterwards, and relying on their name
recognition in th USA ...the company was bought out by Pacific
Bicycles. This is the Huge Taiwanese bike manufacturer who had been
building all the low and midprice bikes for every bike company, of
every country, following the requirements of each company and badging
the bikes with that logo, so any schwinn or redline or trek or
_____(fill in the blank) was made by pacific...their business was so
good that they built the newest, largest and most sophisticated bike
production plant in the world. In the early 90's they began to sell
their own badged line of bikes..As each of the old brands began to go
bankrupt they bought the companies, and continued to produce mongoose,
redline, schwinn, etc. Their plant is not the dirty backroom
mainland chinese plant you are thinking of, and taiwan is not mainland
china and I do not believe they use child labor, their production
capabilities are so good and efficient, that is why they can offer low
price, and undercut the cost of any other smaller production
company..they produce well made frames, their tig welding is automated
and produces a very good and smooth weld so their aluminum frames are
surprisingly good at their price points. So before you boycott schwinn
you might do your homework on what you are really buying...

Old January 30th 06, 11:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Rich wrote:
Max Penn wrote:

In democracies the workers tend to get too
uppity.

Correct. And then they're demand end up bankrupting companies. Just
watch GM.

GM has other problems, product quality has been declining since the
1970's, they haven't really had an technical innovation since the
1960's.... Heck the last real innovation in Detroit was the mini-van.

Old January 30th 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Olebiker wrote:
It appears that the venerable name "Varisty" has been resurrected by
Schwinn. I was at Walmart tonight and they have an aluminum framed
road bike that Schwinn is calling Varsity. It was $199.

Speaking of Wal*Mart and road bikes, I saw the first Denali on the way
back from the grocery store yesterday. Typical x-mart bike rider, the
wrong way, on the sidewalk, riding too fast, wearing jeans and a tee-shirt.

Ken
--
You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old January 30th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

The Wogster wrote:

GM has other problems, product quality has been declining since the
1970's, they haven't really had an technical innovation since the
1960's....

Product quality of all car manufacturers has improved considerably since
the 70s. Althugh they do have other problems.
Old January 30th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Max Penn wrote:

I have to concede that GM is having hard times and that they might have
avoided if they were to manufacture under a fascist regime where they could
invoke government coercion to keep the workers in line.

Can you provide links to some news stories that state this to be true,
as he articles I've read on China don't.
Old January 30th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 07:05:45 -0500, "Ken M."
wrote:

Olebiker wrote:
It appears that the venerable name "Varisty" has been resurrected by
Schwinn. I was at Walmart tonight and they have an aluminum framed
road bike that Schwinn is calling Varsity. It was $199.

Speaking of Wal*Mart and road bikes, I saw the first Denali on the way
back from the grocery store yesterday. Typical x-mart bike rider, the
wrong way, on the sidewalk, riding too fast, wearing jeans and a tee-shirt.

Ken

Jeans and T-shirt?!?!??!? Oh, the horror!

Old January 30th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:

Olebiker wrote:

It appears that the venerable name "Varisty" has been resurrected by
Schwinn. I was at Walmart tonight and they have an aluminum framed
road bike that Schwinn is calling Varsity. It was $199.

Speaking of Wal*Mart and road bikes, I saw the first Denali on the way
back from the grocery store yesterday. Typical x-mart bike rider, the
wrong way, on the sidewalk, riding too fast, wearing jeans and a tee-shirt.

Ken

Jeans and T-shirt?!?!??!? Oh, the horror!

Well it's not the jeans and the t-shirt that bother me. What I don't
like is the riding the wrong way. I have come close to head-ons with
those types.

Ken

Old January 30th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ken M. wrote:

snipped

Speaking of Wal*Mart and road bikes, I saw the first Denali on the way
back from the grocery store yesterday. Typical x-mart bike rider, the
wrong way, on the sidewalk,

Perhaps they need a little advice, not derision.

riding too fast,

"Too fast"? Maybe the bike isn't all that grim, after all?

wearing jeans and a tee-shirt.

Maybe they were just riding to the grocery store (?)

Old January 30th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ozark Bicycle wrote:

Perhaps they need a little advice, not derision.

Perhap, maybe if I see him again I will offer some.

riding too fast,

"Too fast"? Maybe the bike isn't all that grim, after all?

'Too fast', my opinion of too fast is faster than a person jogging. When
I am forced to ride on the sidewalk (not that often) I keep my speed way
the hell down to avoid incidents with pedestrians and golf carts.

wearing jeans and a tee-shirt.

Maybe they were just riding to the grocery store (?)

perhaps.

Ken