Schwinn Varsity at Walmart

Old February 2nd 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Schwinn Varsity at Walmart

"innamaze" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just to sort out the schwinn thing....the schwinn bike company, which
had gone bankrupt due to failing to produce bike designs fast enough to
keep up with the new designs and frame materials relying instead on the
company practice of waiting to see what the competition came up with
then supplying a reliable product afterwards, and relying on their name
recognition in th USA ...the company was bought out by Pacific
Bicycles. This is the Huge Taiwanese bike manufacturer who had been
building all the low and midprice bikes for every bike company, of
every country, following the requirements of each company and badging
the bikes with that logo, so any schwinn or redline or trek or
_____(fill in the blank) was made by pacific...their business was so
good that they built the newest, largest and most sophisticated bike
production plant in the world. In the early 90's they began to sell
their own badged line of bikes..As each of the old brands began to go
bankrupt they bought the companies, and continued to produce mongoose,
redline, schwinn, etc. Their plant is not the dirty backroom
mainland chinese plant you are thinking of, and taiwan is not mainland
china and I do not believe they use child labor, their production
capabilities are so good and efficient, that is why they can offer low
price, and undercut the cost of any other smaller production
company..they produce well made frames, their tig welding is automated
and produces a very good and smooth weld so their aluminum frames are
surprisingly good at their price points. So before you boycott schwinn
you might do your homework on what you are really buying...

Have you been to WalMart lately? Schwinns sold there are NOT made in Taiwan.
They are made in China, and are badged accordingly. I have a pre-WalMart era
Schwinn, and it is indeed Taiwanese. The current 'mart offerings aren't.

From the Pacific Cycles website:

http://www.pacific-cycle.com/ourstory/

"Headquartered in Montreal, Dorel employs approximately 5,000 people in 14
countries. Dorel also has offices in Shanghai and Shenzhen, China that
oversee the sourcing, engineering and logistics of all Asian operations."

It doesn't make sense that their Asian offices would be located in China but
production would be in Taiwan. I'm calling shenanigans on your claim. I've
seen the "Made in China" stickers on WalMart Schwinns and Mongooses.

Old February 3rd 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"innamaze" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am not surprised at pacific not labeling themselves as a manufacturer
since they were able to produce all those bike lines secretly or all of
those years. If you understand oriental thinking, and that is not
something the occidental does very well, myself included, it may be
that in the corporate image factorthey prefer to be a supplier, and
have subdivided the company into parts, that they control every facet
of their bikes and the quality of the build I have no doubt, since it
was their very method that made them so huge and powerful. I was a
bike mechanic and assember for many years, and I did do extensive
builds of product for Pacific, and I recieved notification of when they
began to badge their own bikes, and I even saw a picture of the new
plant as supplied from the sales rep, which I do not have, but they had
goals of getting into higher price brackets..and their products were
quite good....I have not kept up with the company since I got out of
the business, so I am sure there have been some changes, but being a
premier Taiwanese company, they are not sourcing out to mainland china!
They do not make that quality of a bike without sophisticated
manufacturung, and the Tawainese worker on the whole is better treated
than many American counterparts, and they actuall y have job security!
The main point however was to point out the fact that to buy a discount
chain bike, be it target or toys r us or wallymart, doesn't mean you
are supplying the means of child labor and unhealthy work
environment....go buy a pair of sneakers or jeans if you want to do
that.

Why do you keep saying they are Taiwanese, when their bicycles are clearly
labeled "Made in China"?

Old February 4th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote in message
oups.com...
There is never a reason to not wear spandex on a road bike.

Sure there is.

Old February 4th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"gooserider" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
There is never a reason to not wear spandex on a road bike.

Sure there is.

For example:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...3/BAFARLEY.DTL

Old February 5th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 16:18:55 GMT, "gooserider"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
There is never a reason to not wear spandex on a road bike.

Sure there is.

After I quit smoking I quickly ballooned up to 230 pounds.

Ron

Old February 5th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

http://www.walmartworkersrights.org/ Parody of a song by Garth Brooks

http://www.walmartmovie.com/ The TRUTH behind Wal-Mart's Low Prices

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...n_snapper.html The Man who
said NO to Wal-Mart

http://www.aflcio.org/ American Federation of Labor - Congress of
Industrial Organizations

Old February 6th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"RonSonic" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 16:18:55 GMT, "gooserider"

wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
There is never a reason to not wear spandex on a road bike.

Sure there is.

After I quit smoking I quickly ballooned up to 230 pounds.

Ron

How about living in an area full of Get 'er Done rednecks who like to bark
degrding comments as they buzz by in their 4x4s? Now that I commute in MTB
wear I take much less grief.

Old February 6th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Gooserider wrote:

How about living in an area full of Get 'er Done rednecks who like to bark
degrding comments as they buzz by in their 4x4s? Now that I commute in MTB
wear I take much less grief.

Sounds kind of like Florida. And I love the ones that yell comments out
the windows of their trucks both about clothing and then the "ride that
thing on the sidewalk" comments.

Ken
--
You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old February 6th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ken C. M. wrote:
Sounds kind of like Florida. And I love the ones that yell comments out
the windows of their trucks both about clothing and then the "ride that
thing on the sidewalk" comments.

Where are you in Florida? Trust me, we have our share of folks who get
aggravated at us being on the road, but I have yet to be yelled at by
what I would consider a redneck. I don't get bothered much and when it
does happen it is invariably by a young guy in an Accord or a Jetta
with one of those fart can mufflers.