The University of Aalborg Study on Daytime Flashing Lights forBicycles.

Old April 9th 17, 01:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Default The University of Aalborg Study on Daytime Flashing Lights forBicycles.

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

If you arrange with Reelight to send

Please have them ship the bribe, errr... evaluation sample, to the
address below.

Did it work? Received any lights yet? Maybe from more corrupt, non-Danish
companies?
;-)

Old April 9th 17, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 14:15:04 +0200, Sepp Ruf
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

If you arrange with Reelight to send

Please have them ship the bribe, errr... evaluation sample, to the
address below.

Did it work? Received any lights yet? Maybe from more corrupt, non-Danish
companies?
;-)

Yes and thank you for the StVZO K-1009 light. It miraculously arrived
in one piece on Friday. I installed four NiMh batteries and it works
as expected. I'll be going some measurements and ride testing after
next weekend. The connector on the bottom seems to be for DIN 33958
6v 3w dynamo power. I have a cheap bottle dynamo somewhere and will
give that a try. Measuring the lumens output with my lux meter method
will be a problem due to odd spot pattern. I'll use graph paper and
just count squares.
https://internetkaufhaus24.de/Produkte/frontscheinwerfer-led-30-lux/6168332
https://www.amazon.de/Frontscheinwerfer-LED-LUX-FRONTSCHEINWERFER-40208/dp/B01J9NWJHU

I also bought a used Gygolite Streak 280 with a rather old battery.
The replacement battery and missing mount should arrive shortly, which
I'll add to my testing.
http://cygolite.com/product/streak-280-usb/
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Cygolite%20Streak%20280/

Thanks again.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old April 10th 17, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 14:15:04 +0200, Sepp Ruf wrote:
On Mon, 20 Mar 2017, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

If you arrange with Reelight to send

Please have them ship the bribe, errr... evaluation sample, to the
address below.

Did it work? Received any lights yet? Maybe from more corrupt, non-Danish
companies?
;-)

Yes and thank you for the StVZO K-1009 light. It miraculously arrived
in one piece on Friday. I installed four NiMh batteries and it works
as expected. I'll be going some measurements and ride testing after
next weekend. The connector on the bottom seems to be for DIN 33958
6v 3w dynamo power.

Would be nice. For a dirt-cheap lamp, an oddly luxurious undocumented
feature? On roughly similar lamps, I've seen a "4AA cooker" charger
connection there. DIN 33958 includes dynamo powered as well as purely
battery powered lighting equipment.

I have a cheap bottle dynamo somewhere and will
give that a try. Measuring the lumens output with my lux meter method
will be a problem due to odd spot pattern.

This no-frills StVZO spot, while not representing the bare legal minimum
which would resemble an I-beam profile, was probably designed quite
pragmatically right along the TA-23 / DIN-33958 measurement grid:
http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Komponenten/Scheinwerfer/ta23zonen.gif

I'll use graph paper and just count squares.

Sounds like work.

https://internetkaufhaus24.de/Produkte/frontscheinwerfer-led-30-lux/6168332
https://www.amazon.de/Frontscheinwerfer-LED-LUX-FRONTSCHEINWERFER-40208/dp/B01J9NWJHU

These seem to be somewhat weaker, older versions. K numbers don't really
identify specific lamp builds: Once issued, one and the same number might be
reused by the manufacturer with new lamps - even if lab tests need to be
performed and paid anew.

I also bought a used Gygolite Streak 280 with a rather old battery.
The replacement battery and missing mount should arrive shortly, which
I'll add to my testing.
http://cygolite.com/product/streak-280-usb/
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Cygolite%20Streak%20280/

Likely to look brighter on high and more even on medium than the K-1109. As
always, doesn't look as if it could do beam evenness and low-glare reach at
the same time.