Available diameters on integrated headsets?

Old September 9th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_41_]

Default Available diameters on integrated headsets?

hi guys,

The short question is:how many different diameters can I find
integrated headsets in?

The long story behind is as follows:when I built a bike around an
unknown frame some years ago I wasn't aware that there was such a thing
as an integrated headset, so when the stock 1 1/8 didn't fit in the head
tube I cut a couple of spacers/bushings on the lathe and stuck it all
together.
Now, somewhat better informed, (and in need of a 1 1/8 for another
bike) I'm thinking of replacing the 1 1/8 with an integrated set, but I
can't remember the i.d. of the head tube.
Can I buy 'this one' (http://tinyurl.com/22rnk4) for instance, and
expect it to fit? Or do I have to do an explanatory disassembly to find
out the i.d. of the head tube before I buy an integrated headset?

--
dabac

Old September 9th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Knutson

On Sep 9, 12:38 pm, dabac dabac.2wn...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
[...]

there are 2 main ones for 1 1/8 steerers (is/cane creek/"integrated"
and hiddenset), then there's columbus, then there's internal headsets
such as zerostack, then there are some oddballs. if you remember there
being angled bearing seats inside the ht, then it's one of the first
2.
the various standards do have standard headtube od's attached to them,
but of course it's not really required at all for a mfg to stick to
this (although they do for the most part) and also, 45mm is used for
hiddenset and 1 1/8 IS, so it could be either if it's 45. but
zerostack 1 1/8 is 50. these numbers can mostly be found here,
although columbus and some others are missing: www.sutherlandsbicycle.com/Chapter12.pdf

Old September 10th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

dabac wrote:
hi guys,

The short question is:how many different diameters can I find
integrated headsets in?

The long story behind is as follows:when I built a bike around an
unknown frame some years ago I wasn't aware that there was such a thing
as an integrated headset, so when the stock 1 1/8 didn't fit in the head
tube I cut a couple of spacers/bushings on the lathe and stuck it all
together.
Now, somewhat better informed, (and in need of a 1 1/8 for another
bike) I'm thinking of replacing the 1 1/8 with an integrated set, but I
can't remember the i.d. of the head tube.
Can I buy 'this one' (http://tinyurl.com/22rnk4) for instance, and
expect it to fit? Or do I have to do an explanatory disassembly to find
out the i.d. of the head tube before I buy an integrated headset?

Short answer= Too Many!
If your local shop has the excellent FSA Stainless Headset Guide,
consult them. It's a well designed tool and quick to use. The various
formats and nomenclatures certainly are confusing!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old September 10th 07, 10:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_43_]

Nate Knutson Wrote:
.. if you remember there being angled bearing seats inside the ht, ...

As far as I can remember the reamed seat in the seat tube had a fairly
shallow lip and I don't recall it being angled.

Nate Knutson Wrote:
..there are [b]2 main ones[/] .

2 as in:
1) cane creek/"integrated" and hiddenset

2) columbus

...or 2 as in something else?

Nate Knutson Wrote:
..... then there are some oddballs.

Looking more and more likely
Nate Knutson Wrote:
...the various standards do have standard headtube od's attached to
them, .. 45mm is used for
hiddenset and 1 1/8 IS, so it could be either if it's 45.

It is, well 44,5 incl powder coat according to my caliper.

Nate Knutson Wrote:
..these numbers can mostly be found here,
although columbus and some others are missing:
www.sutherlandsbicycle.com/Chapter12.pdf

First the page kept loading as a blank, but it finally came through.
Good stuff.

--
dabac

Old September 10th 07, 10:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_44_]

A Muzi Wrote:
Short answer= Too Many!

Ah well, exploratory disassembly it is then.

--
dabac

Old September 10th 07, 11:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Knutson

Nate Knutson Wrote: .. if you remember there being angled bearing seats inside the ht, ...

Nate Knutson Wrote:

..there are [b]2 main ones[/] .

2 as in:
1) cane creek/"integrated" and hiddenset

2) columbus

..or 2 as in something else?

I meant that cane creek and hiddenset are the 2 main ones. Columbus is
uncommon, and is actually not really an integrated system, I kinda
just stuck it in there. I also forgot about the TH industries 36x36
integrated standard. =P

this is good too: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=68

Old September 20th 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_52_]

dabac Wrote:
Ah well, exploratory disassembly it is then.

Bit the bullet yesterday and removed the headset. The caliper says 37.3
mm head tube i.d. Closest match in the Sutherland's handbook seems to be
the 37.5 1" JIS / Pro threadless low-profile.

Could be right, the origins of this frame is shrouded in mystery.

Dang.

OK, so I've got a 37.5 i.d. head tube and a 1 1/8" fork - can I find a
HS that would either let me get rid of the bushings and/or let me reduce
the stack height?

--
dabac

Loose bearings in integrated headsets Mark UK 5 June 18th 07 02:21 PM
Question about integrated headsets to the experts Derk Techniques 4 July 3rd 05 10:01 PM
Integrated Headsets? Wayne Techniques 10 May 19th 05 02:08 AM
Integrated headsets Tom Sherman Recumbent Biking 0 February 26th 05 12:34 AM